Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Would a Radian fit rear facing in my small car?

I know I am thinking way ahead, but I am wondering about what will happen when my 1 month old outgrows her snugride. I like my Radian that I have for the older kid (haven't used it yet, but it seems nice), but I have a 2006 Hyundai Elantra 5 door. Would a Radian fit in either the middle seat or the passenger side outboard and still fit a passenger in the front?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Would a Radian fit rear facing in my small car?

I'm not familiar with the size of vehicle you have, but the easiest way to tell would be to take your older dd's Radian and experiment with installing it in the middle and outboard positions.

Some small cars, I can fit it with no issues, others it just simply takes up too much space.

It will NOT fit RFing in our '07 MazdaSpeed3 and still have room for someone to sit up front.

It WILL fit in an '03 Ford Focus and still have room for passengers up front.

So, it really depends.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

I have an 05 elantra and haven't had much luck getting the radian installed rfing. There's enough room, but it won't get tight enough. I tried outboard with belts and latch and center with belt. Center was my only acceptable install.

Now...seats that fit great rfing in the elantra. The marathon fits well both outboard and center with the seat almost all the way back.

Center- seats seem to be most of the way back. Marathon is close, if not at maximum recline angle.

Outboard, seat most of the way back.

The scenera also works very well and there is plenty of room with an older child rfing to move the seat back all the way.

CCO 4/15

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy29 View Post
    I know I am thinking way ahead, but I am wondering about what will happen when my 1 month old outgrows her snugride. I like my Radian that I have for the older kid (haven't used it yet, but it seems nice), but I have a 2006 Hyundai Elantra 5 door. Would a Radian fit in either the middle seat or the passenger side outboard and still fit a passenger in the front?
    If you already have the vehicle and the Radian, most definitive answer will come from trying it yourself.

I have a RF Radian in a small car ('96 Corolla), and it is installed RF in the center. This works because the back of the carseat sort of sticks up between the front vehicle seat backrests a bit. If I install RF outboard, it is impossible to even move the front vehicle seats forward far enough to clear the Radian -- in other words, it cannot be installed RF outboard. Much of the problem is the obligatory recline boot/foot that Radian manual requires you to use when RF (even if the child riding in the Radian doesn't really need that newborn recline angle any more).

There is a long thread ('Radian successful install thread') floating around here -- probably worth checking whether other people have any comments about installs in your vehicle.

Katrin

Yes, you are right, I should just try it. Duh, I was having a brain fart moment, lol. Too much stress and too much to think about and only a week to do the thinking. I don't want to try it now because I think if I made dh uninstall the Radian again, he might kill me, lol.

I do like the scenera's though (who wouldn't for that price?) so maybe I'll just go with that. Than if these kids go home and we get two older kids (we are foster parents), we will have two convertibles.