Would a Radian fit rear facing in my small car?

Kristy29

I know I am thinking way ahead, but I am wondering about what will happen when my 1 month old outgrows her snugride. I like my Radian that I have for the older kid (haven't used it yet, but it seems nice), but I have a 2006 Hyundai Elantra 5 door. Would a Radian fit in either the middle seat or the passenger side outboard and still fit a passenger in the front?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'm not familiar with the size of vehicle you have, but the easiest way to tell would be to take your older dd's Radian and experiment with installing it in the middle and outboard positions.

Some small cars, I can fit it with no issues, others it just simply takes up too much space.

It will NOT fit RFing in our '07 MazdaSpeed3 and still have room for someone to sit up front.

It WILL fit in an '03 Ford Focus and still have room for passengers up front.

So, it really depends.

Dillipop

I have an 05 elantra and haven't had much luck getting the radian installed rfing. There's enough room, but it won't get tight enough. I tried outboard with belts and latch and center with belt. Center was my only acceptable install.

Now...seats that fit great rfing in the elantra. The marathon fits well both outboard and center with the seat almost all the way back.

Center- seats seem to be most of the way back. Marathon is close, if not at maximum recline angle.

carseatsandkids031.jpg

Outboard, seat most of the way back.

carseatsandkids023.jpg

The scenera also works very well and there is plenty of room with an older child rfing to move the seat back all the way.

singingpond

I know I am thinking way ahead, but I am wondering about what will happen when my 1 month old outgrows her snugride. I like my Radian that I have for the older kid (haven't used it yet, but it seems nice), but I have a 2006 Hyundai Elantra 5 door. Would a Radian fit in either the middle seat or the passenger side outboard and still fit a passenger in the front?

If you already have the vehicle and the Radian, most definitive answer will come from trying it yourself.

I have a RF Radian in a small car ('96 Corolla), and it is installed RF in the center. This works because the back of the carseat sort of sticks up between the front vehicle seat backrests a bit. If I install RF outboard, it is impossible to even move the front vehicle seats forward far enough to clear the Radian -- in other words, it cannot be installed RF outboard. Much of the problem is the obligatory recline boot/foot that Radian manual requires you to use when RF (even if the child riding in the Radian doesn't really need that newborn recline angle any more).

There is a long thread ('Radian successful install thread') floating around here -- probably worth checking whether other people have any comments about installs in your vehicle.

Katrin

Kristy29

Yes, you are right, I should just try it. Duh, I was having a brain fart moment, lol. Too much stress and too much to think about and only a week to do the thinking. I don't want to try it now because I think if I made dh uninstall the Radian again, he might kill me, lol.

I do like the scenera's though (who wouldn't for that price?) so maybe I'll just go with that. Than if these kids go home and we get two older kids (we are foster parents), we will have two convertibles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC