how would you arrange these seats?

romanoma

I want to know how to arrange seats if I was only going to take into consideration the "least protected rider in the most protected seating position" rule. it may not be the most practical, but how would I follow that rule to the T with the following riders/seats:

IHA 2012 8 pass odyssey

6.5yo in booster
4.5yo in FF harness seat
1mo in RF infant bucket seat

I'm thinking the boostered child would be the least protected? But it just seems like the skeletal fragility of the 1 mo infant might trump the boostered child? Not sure if it ever does though, or if RF is just considered that much safer to negate the infant's fragility.

which seating position is most safe, second most safe, 3rd most safe?

Thanks!

ADS

lovemybabies924

I want to know how to arrange seats if I was only going to take into consideration the "least protected rider in the most protected seating position" rule. it may not be the most practical, but how would I follow that rule to the T with the following riders/seats:

IHA 2012 8 pass odyssey

6.5yo in booster
4.5yo in FF harness seat
1mo in RF infant bucket seat

Thanks!

I can't say where is the most safe but I can tell u what I did with my kids in my odyssey mine is an 04 so my middle is a captains chair moved center.

Baby center second row, harnessed child outboard drivers side. Boostered child 3rd row anywhere u get the best fit with the child and booster

MommyShannon

Not a tech, but my understanding is rf is always safer and therefore the most protected. I'm not positive between the booster and harnessed. I think booster is least protected but belt fit and head support (depending on the booster) might dictate where it goes.
ETA: a top tether for the harnessed seat is very important too so its hard to just rank them. All factors equal, baby is safest, then harnessed, then booster.

NannyMom

Not a tech, but my understanding is rf is always safer and therefore the most protected. I'm not positive between the booster and harnessed. I think booster is least protected but belt fit and head support (depending on the booster) might dictate where it goes.
ETA: a top tether for the harnessed seat is very important too so its hard to just rank them. All factors equal, baby is safest, then harnessed, then booster.

:yeahthat:

romanoma

Thanks! So where would you put each seat? Booster 2nd row middle, harness 3rd row middle, and RF baby where? Or something different?

MommyShannon

I do whichever is convenient. I rode in the new Ody last week and was floored by the space in the 2nd row. I'd do like Nannymom or whatever works for you.

Stelvis

I'd do the boostered kid outboard just because then you could still access your third row without uninstalling a seat. Baby on the other outboard seat, harnessed FF kid in the middle. Assuming the FF seat installs okay in the middle, some seats are funny there.

romanoma

thanks guys! I know I have to balance convenience, fit, and best practice. I'm just trying to understand what the "best practice" guidelines would be in this case. Is the whole 2nd row safer than any seat in the 3rd row? Or is the 3rd row middle safer than the 2nd row outboard? That's what I am after.

I know that with a newer vehicle with all the safety features and side airbags, most of the seats are going to be very safe, but I really want to understand the best practice in this scenerio so I can make a decision from that point.

Stelvis

The thing is, your brand new Ody is one of the safest cars on the road, and you're properly restraining your kids, and presumably driving safely at all times, so everyone is so very safe that tiny statistical differences in location within the vehicle are probably not anything you need to obsess over, even if there were easy answers to those questions. So I would just put them where it's convenient and feel good about it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC