Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Need CAR suggestions

Does this car exist? I have a friend who is car shopping (new or used, depending on price). If it's used, she would like something no older than 2008. The budget is tight but with her 3rd child on the way, it's a necessary purchase. She is in Canada and under $20k is pretty much her limit for new and under $10k used.

She has a tall 7 year old in a HBB TB. She will be in a booster until at least age 9.
    A FF 3 y/o in a Radian. He will be harnessed until at least age 5 and then boostered until age 9.
    A baby on the way. She tends to make tall, slim children. She has a First Years Bucket seat on standby.

What she is searching for is a vehicle with a wide enough back seat that the frequent family outings will not be a struggle. She has looked at vans and SUVs but would like to know if there are any CARS that are an option.

Thoughts? TIA for any input.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I don't know about the Canadian prices, but nice really liked my Volkswagen Passat wagons and my Hyundai Elantra. Both are car seat friendly. The only thing about VW is they are expensive to repair.

CPS Technician

Re: Need CAR suggestions

Passats are out of her price range, for sure and an older model could wind up too costly to repair. The Elantra might be an option. Once I finish car shopping for myself (int he next few weeks), I will grab the car seats and see if I can play around in some other vehicles for her to see what actually fits.

I've fit any seat I've tried in my '10 Elantra. It's very car seat friendly :-)

6. Thank You from:

Another vote for Elantra here. We have one, and have had plenty of room with different kinds of seats.

Sent from my MB860 using Car-Seat.Org
    Monkey 5yrs 42lbs 45"
    Bubba 3yrs 33lbs 40"

I had a 01 and 07 elantra and loved them as well.

Senior Community Member

Used Ford Crown Victoria (Police Interceptor). DH drives a 2006, we paid 3000, plenty of even newer, 2008-2010 ? or so for sale for 5000 to 8000 dollars or so. Massive backseat, can fit 3 of anything across no problems, easily extended rear face in centre at least, in our 06' latch in both rear outboard and 3 top tethers. Auto insurance is very cheap but gas mileage kind of sucks, but no worse than you would expect with a full size sedan. Massive trunk, can fit more than a lot of minivans in there.

We had a 2010 Ford Fusion with three-across, and now have a 2013 Fusion with three across. The fit is slightly better in the new one. Right now I have my DS outboard passenger side in a Evenflo Big Kid Sport (HBB), DD1 center FF in a Britax FR85, and DD2 RF in a Radian 80 w/angle adjuster behind the driver. My tall DH has no problem putting the seat back with plenty of room to drive. In the 2010, our RF kiddo had to be in the middle for DH to drive comfortably.

Our setup is comfortable and we use this as our primary car right now, and will until #4 comes along this summer and we no longer fit. Two issues that your friend might have with the booster riders though my DS can't buckle himself with our current arrangement. A seat narrower than the FR85 next to him might help, but this is an issue with boosters in a three across scenario quite often. I have no trouble helping him. And two, my DS is 6.5 and large for his age (about 63lbs and 4'2") and no way will be able to use a HBB until age 9 in this car. The roof just slopes too low outboard. But I'm okay with him going into a LBB when our HBB no longer fits.

ETA: I realize now you just said boostered until 9, not specifically in a HBB. sorry about that.

Sara
    DS1 - 08/04/06, DD1 - 08/11/09, DD2 - 07/15/11, DS2 07/03/13