Is there anything I can do?

MaKoski

I was at one of our local thrift stores... I saw they had a few infant seats, so I checked the exparation date/DOM. one was made in 2000, another was 3 or 4 yrs over due to be trashed. and there were a few that had 10m-2yr left on them. I brought the 2 that were seriously expired up to the register and tryed to explain that they needed to be destroyed and trashed but they said other people have come in saying the same thing, but they still sell them anyway.(even after me saying they were baby death traps... she said,"so I guessing you don't want the carseats?") Besides going around buying all the expired carseats, Is there anything I can do? Is there a law or something about this?

ADS

cupcakepirate11

Sometimes telling them they are at risk for a lawsuit for selling expired seats is enough to get them to stop. Even if I'm not right on whether its actually true

ConnorsMommy

OP- in your state, Minnesota, the law requires that seats must be used according to the manufacturers instructions. Since manufacturers have an expiration date on the seats and clearly say not to use the seat after that date, it is illegal to use an expired seat. It could be argued that if someone is selling an expired seat, they are helping someone to not obey the law.
In the FAQs section on the Office of Transportation website it has this:

Can I use a second-hand seat?
Yes, as long as the seat is not more than six years old; it's free of recalls; has not been involved in a crash; all the labels are on the seat; the instruction manual is present; you know the individual who previously owned the seat; and you know the history of the seat. Purchasing seats from garage sales and re-sale shops are not recommended.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC