How to politely recommend to someone that their child shouldn't be forward facing?

hausofgerz

I have a friend who has a little girl who just turned 1 in December. She posted some pictures on Facebook today, one of them of her DD forward facing in her car seat. Any advice on how to tactfully tell her she should not be forward facing until at least two years old? I of course want to come from a place of concern rather than as a know it all. All of my friends with kids that live near me have heard the car seat spiel from me lots of times, but unfortunately she lives on the other side of the country and I haven't talked to her about it (and apparently she doesn't read my blog either!) :). Thanks!

ADS

megan.amarice

I I would private message her. Tell how cute her kid is, then tell her excitedly what you've learned about the benefits of rear facing. Then again something positive about her kid and how you know she wants to keep her safe. It may not lead to anything, but at least you've done your part. Unfortunately, only one person I've talked to about their kids' seating arrangements has changed the way they put them in the car (and was regarding boosters). I hope she listens!

Baylor

I just post erf positive things on my facebook and leave it at that. You can not make her do it, She is not breaking the law, most likely, so I just post things that are pro best practice and then leave it at that. You would be amazed how many people ask for info..

Phineasmama

Depending on the friend, I would send a nice PM about it, and spinning it as "I didn't know about this until after I had my kid! Can you believe how quickly things change?" is always a good way to go :) That way it's less critical and the person (hopefully) doesn't feel like you're attacking their parenting.

tiggercat

I post carseat articles all the time (usually vicarseattech ones because they are Canadian and awesome) so people know they can ask me questions and that I am happy to talk carseat stuff through with them. I also post pics of my kids in their seats, without coats, in the -40 temps, not just because they are cute :p but so people see proper use in action.
That's really all I can do. If they want more info, they know where to get it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I post carseat articles all the time (usually vicarseattech ones because they are Canadian and awesome) so people know they can ask me questions and that I am happy to talk carseat stuff through with them. I also post pics of my kids in their seats, without coats, in the -40 temps, not just because they are cute :p but so people see proper use in action.
That's really all I can do. If they want more info, they know where to get it.

Thanks Natalie! Care to contribute a guest post?

hausofgerz

Thanks everyone for the advice! I do post things on FB all the time about car seat safety, but she is hardly ever on FB. I'm sure she simply doesn't know that it is recommended to keep DD rear facing until at least two. I think I will email her and go with the "Can you believe all the things you have to know as a parent?!" spin.

mybabybean

I have a friend that lives far away, on FB all the time and I am forever posting stuff about the importance of RF, BUT at slightly more than a year she posted a pic of her FF with the caption about FF like a big girl.:( I don't know how else to make her understand since she is not breaking any laws

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC