seat for someone elses kid

libranbutterfly

We have a friend who doesnt drive. She was just granted visitation with her 5 year old son. She hadnt seen him in over a year because dad wouldnt let her and lawyers wanted money up front that she didnt have. DH and I will be driving her to pick him up and drop him off from visitation. (probably mostly me) He does not use a seat or sometimes even a seatbelt with dad (friend said they took him out of his seat when he was 3-didnt know better). I am trying to figure out what type of seat to get for my car. I was thinking high back booster, so that hopefully a little bit of the seatbelt fit will rub off to dads car too, but I dont think I can keep him in a booster in my car if he doesnt sit still. I have a radian he will probably fit in, but that isnt goin gto help with dads car, where he rides more often. There is already so much changing in this kids life, but I want him to be safe too. So, what would you do?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

libranbutterfly

Also considered getting 2 harmony literiders. Not ideal, but could play up the safety and the law, then send him home with one? They have cool covers too. But my kids will be with us, and they are in high back (and Lexi is about to go back to 5 pt harness because she sleeps in the car so much) Just trying to do the most good overall for this boy.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Car-Seat.Org

tinytreasures

I would just go with a booster.

I have this problem a lot when I get older foster children. We set the rule from the very first time they get in the car. I say "in my car we ride in carseats." If they try to get out, I pull over and refuse to drive. I have only had a stand off with one boy. I just sat there till he was ready to ride with me. When we got home I pulled it up online what our state rules are and showed it to him. He never complained again.
We got his 2 yr old baby sister a week later and she had never been in a carseat before. Boy did she scream every time I put her in one.

Brianna

A backless booster is definitely better than nothing, and if buying him 2 backless means that he might ride in one with dad too, I would choose that over 1 high back. Is it possible to let him pick the cover for the one you'll send with dad?

mybabybean

Backless boosters tend to have "cooler" covers so maybe you would get less of a fight with him if he could pick one of those? I agree with a PP that it is not optional for him to be buckled safely. Yes, a 5yo would probably fit in a harness, BUT going from nothing to harness seems like an unnecessary shock since a 5yo can typically be boostered safely. Also, I think buying 2 and sending one with him is an excellent idea if you can afford it :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC