opinions on regular cloth vs. microfiber?

snoopygirl

I've just gone through a week of learning more about car seat safety than anybody outside of a CPS. Who knew that buying a six year old VW would present such a huge problem (though I should mention my car is ORANGE and that makes up for a lot) :)

Now that I've narrowed it down to the ONE seat which will center mount in my car I have to decide between microfiber and cloth. I kinda didn't want to go Recaro again because their customer service people are slightly annoying. they told me if my Signo didn't fit the proSport wasn't going to either and didn't understand what I was talking about at all when I explained why it did (because the top tether comes from a lower position and therefore is further from the TA enabling me to get a tight fit with the strap pulled all the way down).

Here are the Amazon customer photos (I never trust the manufacturer ones). To me the Midnight looks like a plush black velvet while the sable looks a bit cheap. I would either get sable or blaze in the regular cloth or midnight in the microfiber. The Right Start had the grey and it was really ugly, IMO. I'm sure my daughter would like the pink but I just can't have brown seat in my all black leather interior!

The other thing to consider is that we live in Southern California so any seat is going to be hot. Her current seat (Recaro Signo) is grey and blue. I wish I could see the midnight in person but it appears to be nearly sold out everywhere.

ADS

snoopygirl

How about the purple Riley? That would be my 1st choice.

I'm more concerned with whether microfiber is going to clean / wear better or feel nicer. I wish it were a bright Halloweeny purple, that I would do but it is too soft for me. Have you seen it in person? Maybe I am wrong.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
With regards to your statement about tight fit, are you referring to only the top tether I that respect? Because the seat needs to be installed tightly at the belt path prior to the top tether being attached. The tether can't be used to aid in tightening an otherwise loose install.

Also, have you already posted here with your vehicle make, child's height/weight and age? If not you may wish to do so as it's possible there could be another seat choice out there for you.

aporthole

I'm more concerned with whether microfiber is going to clean / wear better or feel nicer. I wish it were a bright Halloweeny purple, that I would do but it is too soft for me. Have you seen it in person? Maybe I am wrong.

I haven't seen it in person, but from real life photos it appears darker than the Recaro stock photos you see everywhere. I know it isn't super dark though.

This expired ebay listing is from an actual photo and shows a richer color:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RECARO-Pros...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

snoopygirl

With regards to your statement about tight fit, are you referring to only the top tether I that respect? Because the seat needs to be installed tightly at the belt path prior to the top tether being attached. The tether can't be used to aid in tightening an otherwise loose install.

Also, have you already posted here with your vehicle make, child's height/weight and age? If not you may wish to do so as it's possible there could be another seat choice out there for you.

Here is the top tether - as you can see it is attached at the top of the back of the car seat and because of the size of the clasp you can't get it tight. The seat IS installed correctly now with the shoulder lap combo in the center position. I got it in super tight and am not using the outboard LATCH (which, until I kneeled in the seat and really really worked to tighten that seat belt I was sorely tempted to do as backup. I know better now. If you don't think it is a concern having that much "play" in the top tether maybe I should rethink getting a new seat.

8420151233_27ca3a547b_z.jpg

snoopygirl

Every time I open my trunk and see that odd TA, I wonder what I'm going to do when my little one needs to FF :thumbsdown:

Techno: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=239725

you have the same car? I'm ordering the Recaro Pro Sport, it fit in the store. Will take pictures once I get it installed. I was actually kinda pissed when it turned out to be the same manufacturer. Not that I don't love their seats but their customer service people were beyond useless. When I told them it worked they acted surprised and were sure that if the ProRide / Signo hadn't the proSport shouldn't. DUH ... the top tether strap comes from lower on the seat because there isn't a giant rear facing base.

My daughter loves her Signo so at least the adjustment might be less and I love the way it adjusts.

Mercuria

I do! I saw that you have the Fahrenheit? Too bad they don't have orange to match the stitching inside!

Thanks for doing the footwork ;)

Our little one's still a far way from FF, though, so I was avoiding the issue :rolleyes:

snoopygirl

don't you hate it when you see something you KNOW is a bad idea??

Just saw a picture of the Diono Monterey booster in orange. WOW. I love boosters which latch for placement which the ProSport is not going to do. Obviously at almost 4 I want to keep her harnessed for at least another year or two.

Here is a picture of her in the Signo so you can get an idea of how big she is in the seat and how big the seat is in the car:

8424878220_0224d3223f_z.jpg

8424879704_fc5153a4fe_z.jpg

Her knees already are over the edge and I'm constantly telling her "put your bum back in the seat" and she just looks at me and says "it already is Mummy!"

The funny thing with the whole decision is that in 3 or 4 years when she starts maxing out the harness size for the Recaro there will be a whole new gen of seats out there anyway ... now to decide for once and for all ...

Midnight - microfibre or Sable - cloth or Blaze? I just can't see any of the other colours working with my Fahrenheit.

Just for fun ... my old car next to my new one:

8386046302_b7b960735c_z.jpg

abigaylebelle

I would probably get the midnight microfiber prosport, OP. We have a signo g2 that is the black microfiber and it has held up very well for us and is not too hot even in Sacramento in the summer.
As an aside I have had a britax convertible work with the short distance to the tether anchor like that. The v shaped tether can be cinched way up to the shell unlike the one on the recaro convertibles. Probably doesn't help with an older child like the OP's but might help someone else with those funny anchors (VW and Audi have cars with those).

snoopygirl

gah! when I started looking a week ago it seemed like midnight was everywhere ... now it is sold out everywhere or $50 more. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC