Would you be comfortable with this?

Shaunam

We are planning a trip early summer. It'll be 9-10 hours on the road, not including "extra" stops for anything extra Charlie might need (we've never done this with Charlie so I have no idea how much time will be added to the trip because of her). She'll obviously ride in her car seat. I'm worried about having her in a sitting position for so long. She's used to lounging around the house much of the day. She sits in her stroller, wheelchair, and car seat sometimes for extended periods of time, but never for more than about 1 1/2 hours (longest we've been on the road). I'm worried it's going to hurt her hips and back after some time. She has a 20 degree curve in her spine and her hips are partially out of the socket, so it's a legitimate worry.

We have an ez-on modified vest, the kind you use for the child to lay down across the back seat. Even though she doesn't have any specific needs at this time that would make it 100% necessary, would you be comfortable using it to give her back and hips a break from the car seat? I think our only other option would be to pull over and let her lounge for a bit in the back seat and if we do that every couple of hours, it'll take 2 days to get there!

ADS

Shaunam

Is there a way you can try out keeping her in a sitting position longer before the trip to see if there is an issue?

We will be getting her new wheelchair next week so we can always set aside a day where she spends most of the day in it. I'm more worried about just using the vest as a back-up/last resort thing if for some reason she isn't tolerating it THAT day.

ETA: I would make sure I know how to use it and get it fit just right on her so we wouldn't be fumbling and not know what we were doing in the middle of nowhere at a rest stop. LOL

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
As long as you are super familiar with how to use it and practice ahead of time, I think it would be a good idea to have with you to use if needed!

TyAndCheyMommy

We actually do this with Cheyenne on long trips. She gets some time in the car seat and some time in the harness. We do find we have to have some pillows to make her comfortable.
We got ours when she had spica casts- and I see no difference using it on other occasions. It makes it more comfortable for her while allowing us to get there as fast as we need to.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I would, provided you know how to use it, it fits her and your vehicle correctly, and have room for everyone to sit safely when she's using 2-3 seating positions.

She's not able to "wiggle" like the rest of us, so she's more likely to get stiff/sore/tired of sitting in one place.

The idea of building up the amount of time she spends in her w/c or other seating position (rather than "lounging") is a good plan as well.

Where are you going on your adventure this summer?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC