Locking Clip

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've been sharing some of my new knowledge on passenger safety with my parents since my daughter rides with them sometimes....
It has been a task convincing my mother that all her loose junk [pens, notepads, vitamin bottles, cell phone accessories, makeup & nail files, etc.] just sitting out in the open is dangerous in an accident -- heck she's old enough to remember driving cars that had no sealtbelts, let alone storage compartments & her first kids never even sat carseats!
But, we're making progress ;) She's encouraging & supportive, so that's good!!! Anyway, I think as part of her attempt to become safer she has done something foolish....
She's using the metal locking clip that came with an old carseat [thast has since expired & gone to the dumpster] on her own seatbelt. She says it keeps the strap off her neck -- she's barely 5' if that -- but I've never heard of the driver using the locking clip before. At first she had it so that the lap portion was very loose & I explained that was probably really dangerous & said that since she's too big for a carseat she may be doing something counterproductive as far as the emergency locking belt goes??? She has since moved the clip closer to the buckle & the lap is tighter, although not as snug as I think it should be [when I get in my seat to drive I always yank the lap portion really tight, kind of like an absent-minded habbit].
So ... is there anything I can give or tell my mom about why it's no OK to do this [or is it OK]? She has tried soft things on the belt itself to keep it from rubbing on her neck -- any other options for her?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
A locking clip used in this manner may or may not pose a significant additional hazard. It all depends how it positions the seatbelt; both the lap section and shoulder section. Worst case, one could envision that it acts like some of the aftermarket seatbelt positioners and could cause a higher risk for abdominal injury. Best case, it may pose little added risk. Unfortunately, It would be hard for us to judge this without seeing it in person. In most cases I suspect it would be misused and lead to a loose or improperly positioned belt. For that reason, I would recommend against it if any other alternative could be found.

You mentioned one of the better alternatives- keeping the seatbelt snug without the locking clip and instead put a very thin piece of padding around the shoulder belt if it is uncomfortable on her neck. If this worked for her, it may be a reasonable option. Another alternative would be to use the shoulder positioner on a 100 pound rated backless booster if she can find one that fits. Even if she is just a little over the limit, I'd rather see this than a locking clip. Make sure she has the seat adjustments raised to the highest position, the shoulder belt adjusted to its lowest position (if such adjustment exists) and then perhaps a thin comfort pad could help. Many people use these on hard seats or to help them sit a little higher. Opt for a very light weight foam model that is as thin as possible.

I'd definitely recommend she look for seat and seatbelt adjustments in her next vehicle that allow her to be seated comfortable without any additional accessories. In the long term, that is the safest option.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I know she's looking at buying a better [for her] car & that this is a major consideration for her. She's too heavy for a booster & feels like an "old lady" with a pillow :rolleyes: We've gone through all those options before ... but I copy/pasted your reply & sent it to her -- she let me take a closer look at the the belt with her in it. I pulled the lap snug & put the locking clip where it's recomended to be for installing carseats. She couldn't buckle it after that, but wouldn't take it off because it actually does keep the belt off her neck -- she had an idea to move her seat back, buckle in, then move the seat up again. It seems much more secure now....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC