Why isn't the Complete Air more popular?

whitneyg

Is it the difficult (or so I've heard) RF install? Or is there something else about it that makes it less favored than other seats? I haven't seen many CA's in the sig's of the posts I have read lately. Just curious after seeing that other thread about the CA 70. I really like the pink and grey cover but I don't want to get one and find out something strange is terrible about it. What are the quirks? And is the LX easier to install?

ADS

Lenae

I think it was the recline angle that did everyone in. Some of the very newest CAs have the dual recline lines, but most in the US don't. I mostly use mine FF, but when I use it RF, I make the personal decision to install more upright.

Personally, I feel like there is a big difference between a company coming out and saying "only use this seat in this way because of XYZ (XYZ being real concrete reasons)" and a company saying "we don't have the time/money/desire to send everyone new stickers and manuals, so only use your seat this way."

I am not a tech.

ETA: I don't find the RF install anymore difficult than the RF install of my RXT with a seatbelt (I don't have LATCH).

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Is it the difficult (or so I've heard) RF install? Or is there something else about it that makes it less favored than other seats? I haven't seen many CA's in the sig's of the posts I have read lately. Just curious after seeing that other thread about the CA 70. I really like the pink and grey cover but I don't want to get one and find out something strange is terrible about it. What are the quirks? And is the LX easier to install?

I think there are a couple of reasons that the Complete Air isn't more popular. First, it has a 40" height limit for RF, even though the vast majority of children could fit RF well beyond 40". Some parents are comfortable ignoring the 40", but it makes it hard to recommend when there's such a limit. Another reason is that the CA is supposed to be installed with the line on the seat level to the ground, rather than in a more upright position. In some vehicles, trying to install the seat with the line level to the ground makes for a super-reclined install. I think some of the new CA seats have dual lines that allow for more upright installs for older kids, but it's still a limited install range. Some parents are comfortable installing it more upright regardless of the lines, but again, it becomes problematic to recommend.

Additionally, I believe that it has continuous loop harness, and some people prefer seats that have two separate straps (I know the continuous loop harness on my True Fit drove me bonkers). :)

MamaErin

The new 70 is supposed to have the dual line so if you like it I wouldn't let the previous angle issues stop you. My personal reason for not choosing a CA for my son was that I hated how narrow it looked and the big head pillows. I like SIP but not so big and right by their head...it just made the seat look crowded to me and I have heard some kids find the pillows annoying too with trying to look out the window or talk to other passengers.

Kobain's Mommy

I have 3 of them one being a LX. It can be a pain to install RFing, but I personally choose to us it more upright for my kids since they are older.

Syllieann

The reason we don't have one is everything Bree said plus one other minor annoyance...when you raise the harness height it moves in such a way that leaves a plastic ridge behind the child's back with minimal padding in between.

Phineasmama

I had one a while back, the black and purple butterfly one from BRU. I found it hard to get a tight install with it, I thought the harness was too close together on the neck, the straps were twisty.

gsdguenter

I think there are a couple of reasons that the Complete Air isn't more popular. First, it has a 40" height limit for RF, even though the vast majority of children could fit RF well beyond 40". Some parents are comfortable ignoring the 40", but it makes it hard to recommend when there's such a limit. Another reason is that the CA is supposed to be installed with the line on the seat level to the ground, rather than in a more upright position. In some vehicles, trying to install the seat with the line level to the ground makes for a super-reclined install. I think some of the new CA seats have dual lines that allow for more upright installs for older kids, but it's still a limited install range. Some parents are comfortable installing it more upright regardless of the lines, but again, it becomes problematic to recommend.

Additionally, I believe that it has continuous loop harness, and some people prefer seats that have two separate straps (I know the continuous loop harness on my True Fit drove me bonkers). :)

Yes to all of that, plus it's the only seat I ever had a child get carsick in. DD1 puked in that seat every time, but never any other seat.

MommyShannon

I have a CA50 with the foot (LX?). In general I really like it. It has tons of legroom. The recline angle though is ridiculous for how tall it is. I couldn't fit it in my van without moving the front seat waaaay up. It has high bottom slots so it doesn't fit newborns. At least ours with the foot requires a long screwdriver to release tabs to remove the cover. I had a puker so that was not fun! It installs easily for me at the higher angle. I think its a great toddler seat, but required a nb recline. Now with the dual recline, I'd like it much better. The straps are a little narrow too. The 40" rule is frustrating too since its so tall. DD 2 likes it. I really like how she fits it.

tiggercat

In Canada, it has a 36in height limit, and despite the dual recline angle lines, it is still quite a big seat front to back. I dislike the straps, and find it can be a pain to install depending on the vehicle. The padding sucks. It wasn't on my radar for personal use but I see/install them frequently at clinics.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

babyherder

I wish the Complete Air didn't have a ridiculously low height limit for rf and didn't have the recline angle issue. It has so many cute covers! Plus it has a tall shell and high rf weight limit.

Lenae

I love mine.

This.

I do think the straps are a little too close together, but I find things to dislike with every seat I've owned. And I'm not a collector like Judi or anything, but I've owned several well known seats. I don't dislike the CA any more than any other seat. Except the Scenera. I am not a car seat snob, but that seat rips up my hands and has zero padding.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I don't like the feel of the covers as much as my other seats. I did try it in my 3 across, but it was too wide, so back in the house it went.

littleangelfire

I hardly ever recommend it b/c of the 40in rear facing height limit. We ignore the forward facing height limit all the time but there's been some sensical reasons for why the rear facing one shouldn't be. Also, I don't find it very easy to install.

mrosehughes

I really didn't like ours RFing; I chose to ignore the level line and even more upright thought it took up tons of room front to back, plus the 40" limit bugged me. I am also not crazy about the chest clip, and the continuous harness takes some getting used to. That said, now that DS is FFing in it, I really really like it (much more than our rafian ffing). It's very easy to install and I just like the way it fits him with the headwings.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC