Question Using a convertible seat to booster age.

mlohry

I have been quite the car seat exchanger lately to keep DD RF to 4 and now I have turned her FF in our MA70 and actually really like the seat FF even using the dreaded HUGS aren't so bad. I ordered a Prosport for her, but due to slight changes to the seat, I can't get it installed quite as easily and now feel like maybe I should just stick with the MA70 and get her to booster age in that seat. I am cool with boostering at a reasonable age and with all the new LATCH boosters coming out, I'm thinking in a year I'd be open to booster training her as she is easy going and would love to be in a booster. This just feels weird to me since with her brothers I bought Nautilus seats and then boosters. They rode in 5 different seats...she has ridden in 4 different RF seats I guess.

ADS

jjordan

Nothing wrong with using a convertible seat as long as it fits! With multiple kids in a family, you never quite know what seat will be passed down before it's outgrown or what seat will be used until it's outgrown. Part of the fun, right? :)

VoodooChile

I use a Radian ff for ds, and plan on using it to booster age (barring unforeseen circumstances). I've done FR80s and really disliked them as boosters (too wide), so I guess I prefer dedicated boosters, so I guess I really only use "half" of combo seats, so I'm using the convertible ff.

mlohry

I use a Radian ff for ds, and plan on using it to booster age (barring unforeseen circumstances). I've done FR80s and really disliked them as boosters (too wide), so I guess I prefer dedicated boosters, so I guess I really only use "half" of combo seats, so I'm using the convertible ff.

Yeah I'm sure the Probooster wouldn't work as a booster for my skinny, peanut. I also didn't use the Nautilus seats as boosters with my boys as that seat also wasn't a good fit for my boys as boosters. I guess their redesign is better now however as boosters.

arly1983

I am counting on using a convertible until it is outgrown. I am using a FFing radian and S4M because they are what fit best in the 3-across in our 2 cars. Before them I used 2 classic marathons until they were outgrown by height. I think this is what most people do IRL if they bought a convertible seat and don't have a large child or a sibling to pass down. My sister used a marathon65 and roundabout50 until they were outgrown by height and then 2 parkways when they were outgrown. It never occurred to her to buy a combination seat when my niece still fit in the seats she had.

MamaErin

I agree with the PP, I think that is what people do IRL! This site is just full of people that LOVE carseats and find any excuse for a new one! lol. I can't afford to spend more than necessary on seats so I have to make economical choices....I got my son a Myride when he turned 1 and intend to use it until it is outgrown, whether that be RF or FF eventually. If he does outgrow it before he is ready for a booster or we have another baby that needs it then I will look into a combination seat for him but other than that I intend to use it as long as possible.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I envy you who have that choice, lol. Mine have outgrown convertibles well before booster ready. Nothing wrong with it for kids who fit!

mlohry

This is how much space she has left in the MA70 it's at the maximum height. She is 47 months, still fits RF too, but her legs just started falling asleep and she cries when they hurt. Nice to know on a bad snowy day I can still RF her if necessary.

Last edited:

christineka

I love my radians ffing and rfing, so my kids go ffing in radians. Older daughter is 8 and has room to grow. Maybe she will use the frontier after ds outgrows the harness. I don't know.

krasota

DS has two seats: A boulevard and a turbobooster. He's not outgrown the Blvd yet (obviously), though I've debated looking at a combination seat with more leg support. As long as he has a blanket roll under his feet, he's fine and doesn't complain.

The booster is in DH's car and kiddo sits very well in it, but I don't know how well he'd stay in position while asleep on a long road trip. DH's car is a strictly about-town car.

His Blvd will expire this year, so I suppose I'll have to figure it out sooner or later. Or just let him ride in his sister's RXT for a bit while I figure it out.

Athena

What's wrong with HUGS? Do some people not like them? If anything, I like them because they help keep the straps from twisting ... that and the nice, thick strap fabric.

I envy you who have that choice, lol. Mine have outgrown convertibles well before booster ready. Nothing wrong with it for kids who fit!

Yes, this. The only reason I don't is because my kids don't fit.

This is how much space she has left in the MA70 it's at the maximum height. She is 47 months, still fits RF too, but her legs just started falling asleep and she cries when they hurt. Nice to know on a bad snowy day I can still RF her if necessary.

Wow! She's tiny. Do you know how lucky you are?

cpsaddict

I love my Marathon 70 forward facing. DD would have used it a lot longer FF if DS hadn't needed it. She is super tall, though and at almost four, she is close to outgrowing it, I think. DS is small and will fit rf and ff forever. I also don't get to buy more seats than we really need, so things generally get outgrown or passed down.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC