Should I buy another Combination seat?

Jenny487

My DD's Marathon expires this month. She will be 6 in Feb, BUT she has a chromosomal growth disorder (Turner Syndrome) , and is approx 39-40 inches tall and between 35-40 pounds (about the same size as her 4 yr old sister, who is in the lower half of the charts) She will be starting growth hormone when school gets out, so she should grow at a more "normal" rate but will always be small.

I am considering these options: 1: buy a Frontier, keep her harnessed for two more years, then put her sister (now age 4) in the Frontier and her brother in after that. Buy her a new booster at that point. Her sister's seat expires in two years.

2: we have a Nautilus in a second vehicle. I could move it to my vehicle and buy a booster for the other car, and begin booster training her in the other car, where it is the only seat and there won't be any distractions from her siblings.

3: check out a Secure Kid for now, until we see how she responds to the growth hormone and make sure we aren't spending extra money on a Frontier that won't get used in harness mode for long. I do not want to buy another Nautilus for my vehicle because I just don't like it that much.

Thank you for any suggestions you have!

ADS

munchkin

What is her maturity like? Do you think after you booster train her she will be able to ride properly in a booster every time?

cupcakepirate11

I like the frontier idea because you can use it as a booster and two more kids can get use out of it so it wouldn't be a short term use pricey seat it would be well loved!

Jenny487

What is her maturity like? Do you think after you booster train her she will be able to ride properly in a booster every time?

I think she is pretty mature, but we haven't tried the booster so I don't know. The kids are 3 across in my vehicle so I worry a bit about the spats between them leading to her leaning away. I think she would probably do fine by herself in the other vehicle.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
She's at the age that if she were one of my kids, she'd just be starting to try a booster out for use in short trips in other cars. If you can afford a Frontier, it will fit in your 3-across, and you'll use it later, sure! (There are also other harnessed seats that might last as long as needed for your kids assuming no tone or maturity issues delaying readiness that are a bit narrower, SecureKid, Harmony Defender, etc.) But the other two options work too, and I'd want to start training her if you think she's ready as it makes riding in other cars easier.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC