Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Should I buy another Combination seat?

My DD's Marathon expires this month. She will be 6 in Feb, BUT she has a chromosomal growth disorder (Turner Syndrome) , and is approx 39-40 inches tall and between 35-40 pounds (about the same size as her 4 yr old sister, who is in the lower half of the charts) She will be starting growth hormone when school gets out, so she should grow at a more "normal" rate but will always be small.

I am considering these options: 1: buy a Frontier, keep her harnessed for two more years, then put her sister (now age 4) in the Frontier and her brother in after that. Buy her a new booster at that point. Her sister's seat expires in two years.

2: we have a Nautilus in a second vehicle. I could move it to my vehicle and buy a booster for the other car, and begin booster training her in the other car, where it is the only seat and there won't be any distractions from her siblings.

3: check out a Secure Kid for now, until we see how she responds to the growth hormone and make sure we aren't spending extra money on a Frontier that won't get used in harness mode for long. I do not want to buy another Nautilus for my vehicle because I just don't like it that much.

Thank you for any suggestions you have!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Should I buy another Combination seat?

What is her maturity like? Do you think after you booster train her she will be able to ride properly in a booster every time?
    Katie ~ expired CPST & aunt to
    M 12.5 years & E 9.5 years & A 5.5 years & J 2.5 years & L 11 months

I like the frontier idea because you can use it as a booster and two more kids can get use out of it so it wouldn't be a short term use pricey seat it would be well loved!
    Wyatt Henry, 5.25.2010

Quote Originally Posted by munchkin View Post
    What is her maturity like? Do you think after you booster train her she will be able to ride properly in a booster every time?
    I think she is pretty mature, but we haven't tried the booster so I don't know. The kids are 3 across in my vehicle so I worry a bit about the spats between them leading to her leaning away. I think she would probably do fine by herself in the other vehicle.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Should I buy another Combination seat?

She's at the age that if she were one of my kids, she'd just be starting to try a booster out for use in short trips in other cars. If you can afford a Frontier, it will fit in your 3-across, and you'll use it later, sure! (There are also other harnessed seats that might last as long as needed for your kids assuming no tone or maturity issues delaying readiness that are a bit narrower, SecureKid, Harmony Defender, etc.) But the other two options work too, and I'd want to start training her if you think she's ready as it makes riding in other cars easier.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

7. Thank You from: