Is one really SAFER?

Amykc

I have heard conflicting sides about whether extended harnessing is really safer than boostering a child who is of appropriate age, weight and maturity. Thoughts?

ADS

Baylor

Supposedly say a child of 6.( just pulled it out as it is kind of normal booster age) If they can sit correctly and have the right fit in a booster, They are supposed to be just as safe in a booster as a harnessed seat.

I wonder if this will change if they make more studies now that there are seats that harness much longer like the fr85 and the Argos and such..

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We've had a lot of discussion of this over the years; here's the most recent (I think) thread.

Basically what it comes down to after all that discussion is that a) we don't know, there just isn't that data available; b) any child in a properly used harness or booster is VERY safe compared to the average child, proper use is the most important factor, and non-use of boosters in kids who need them still is the biggest gap in safety that exists; c) any differences are likely pretty small overall, and one may be safer in one type of crash, the other in another, but in the end, any differences there are are likely balanced out to weigh fairly evenly and d) neither one is UNsafe for a child of appropriate age, weight and maturity. There are good points on each side, so in the end, either is a good choice and proper use is the most important thing.

rachelandtyke

I wonder if this will change if they make more studies now that there are seats that harness much longer like the fr85 and the Argos and such..

Actually, there are more higher weight/height choices now, but the Britax Husky and the Regent were around for quite a while with comparable weight/height limits to the Frontier, so it's not a new thing.

(and everything KQ said)

Baylor

Actually, there are more higher weight/height choices now, but the Britax Husky and the Regent were around for quite a while with comparable weight/height limits to the Frontier, so it's not a new thing.

(and everything KQ said)

Yes, That is true. I think there are more available options now to the everyday person. I know there was the Britax options but as a rule, I don't think the average joe knew about them. I never heard of a fr85 til coming here. Now with the Nautilus and argos and other seats that are out there, I wonder if there will be more info and studies in a few years.

D&L's-mommy

We've had a lot of discussion of this over the years; here's the most recent (I think) thread.

Basically what it comes down to after all that discussion is that a) we don't know, there just isn't that data available; b) any child in a properly used harness or booster is VERY safe compared to the average child, proper use is the most important factor, and non-use of boosters in kids who need them still is the biggest gap in safety that exists; c) any differences are likely pretty small overall, and one may be safer in one type of crash, the other in another, but in the end, any differences there are are likely balanced out to weigh fairly evenly and d) neither one is UNsafe for a child of appropriate age, weight and maturity. There are good points on each side, so in the end, either is a good choice and proper use is the most important thing.

:yeahthat: I just asked about this last week, my DD is 4.5years, 43" 40lbs, We let her ride in a properly used, properly fitting booster on occasion around town (where's not likely to "forget" to maintain her position, or to fall asleep and subconsciously move out of position) she does very well in the booster, but I like knowing that in the event of a crash, the harness will be doing all the work of maintaining her position, because a wreck can occur at that 1 second that she's moved out of place. When she becomes more mature, and with more training, it will become second nature and she will no longer have think about it. I still pay attention to my almost 9yo's position, he is awesome in a HBB, but on a rare occasion he will move out of position to reach next to him for an item, and I have to remind him to sit back, I think all kids have that split second of impulsivity. But I would say for most kids 5.5-6 is a good time to switch to full time boostering, but only you know your child

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
For my children, harnessing was safer as long as they fit but this was as much about me as them. It is normal for children to need correction and guidance when transitioning to a booster, especially on long or sleepy trips. The more I had to correct them the more I was looking for stuff to correct and the less I was watching the road. Following their limits for sitting still and staying awake and my limit on the amount of correction it took for me to get frustrated with the training process made harnesses preferable for us.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
For me and my children and my vehicle, I come down on the side of harnessing if possible. As KQ said, we just don't have the data to prove one or the other. On an emotional level, for me, the one really severe car accident I've been in was one in which we vaulted end over end down the side of an embankment. So out of personal experience, I feel more comfortable with the harness because I believe (without data to back it up) that a harness is safer in an accident like the one I was in. That's the type of accident that frightens me the most, for obvious reasons. There are some theories that suggest a booster may be safer for a child of an appropriate age/size in a head-on collision, but since I've never been in one of those they don't scare me as much. Almost 19 years after my accident, I am still occasionally clutching the door handle on mountain roads and worrying about flying over the side of the cliff. So for me it's a peace of mind thing related to some remaining traces of PTSD and not a proof or data thing. Does that make sense?

But I'm not going to fault someone else for putting a 40-45 lb 5 year old in a booster. There are perfectly good reasons to choose that option as well, and I'd probably be fine with it with my kids around town or for short trips at that age. As long as the restraint is used properly, that's what counts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC