Question We got a new car and I have a few questions!!!

Leenybean

Hello!

My hubby just went and picked up his new car, a Chrysler 300. The Graco Nautilus fits perfectly so no issues with DS2. BUT, DS1 is in a regular TurboBooster and it has a small gap at the top where the headrest of the car is. You cannot life or remove the car headrests :(

This is not my picture (thanks if yours) but ours fits the same

seat_zps9b9d88cc.jpg

In our old car I could remove the headrests so the seat was completely rested against the seat. Is this an OK fit?

ADS

Leenybean

Anyone? I'm trying to decide if he can get a ride to school in the morning or if we have to walk in the cold until I can get him something else.

Another question.....how old should a child be to ride in a backless booster?

Leenybean

The Nauti is on the passenger side, I haven't tried it in the middle because my kids just fight (eye roll). I'll have to see though. The middle is really raised, but I'll try it when he gets home. Thanks

Wreckgoddess

Sorry- I am not very good at booster questions yet because I am a newer tech. Does the turboboosters manual allow for this? Have you read the manual?
Maybe it will say

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Unfortunately, that's an issue with many vehicles now that forward-leaning type headrests are required in the back, and some manufacturers have chosen to make them fixed (not adjustable or removable.) You can take the back off, or you can get a different booster (one that either allows the gap or is shaped differently to work with forward-leaning headrests), or use a harnessed seat that fits there. We can try to help you figure out what seat to use there if you need recommendations.

Baylor

I see a rearfacing seat there. Your ds is 7? how far is school? Because I would have no issue using a lbb for a 7 yr old just to go back and forth to school.

CaseyRN

We have this issue in DH car. And I dont like my itty bitty in a LBB yet. So we just always use my car. Sucks bc. Would really like DH ti be able to take her to school but I dont know what we can do.

Leenybean

Unfortunately, that's an issue with many vehicles now that forward-leaning type headrests are required in the back, and some manufacturers have chosen to make them fixed (not adjustable or removable.) You can take the back off, or you can get a different booster (one that either allows the gap or is shaped differently to work with forward-leaning headrests), or use a harnessed seat that fits there. We can try to help you figure out what seat to use there if you need recommendations.

It is such a pain! Do you know of any boosters that allow for a gap off hand? Would you put a 7 year old in a low back booster?

I see a rearfacing seat there. Your ds is 7? how far is school? Because I would have no issue using a lbb for a 7 yr old just to go back and forth to school.

That's not my picture, as stated, so the RFing seat isn't mine. My oldest is 7, his school is only 1 mile away, I usually walk with him but it's really cold so he's been riding with his Dad :)

We have this issue in DH car. And I dont like my itty bitty in a LBB yet. So we just always use my car. Sucks bc. Would really like DH ti be able to take her to school but I dont know what we can do.

It does stink! I don't drive so this is the only car we have, I need to find some kind of solution.:thumbsdown:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Clek Oobr allows a gap when it's used with the lower anchors- you can recline it so the headrest is touching, and the gap at the back is considered ok by them because the lower anchors are a structural attachment. Then there are a few that use a design that angles forward somewhat to accomodate headrests.

I would, however, be ok with a 7 year old in a backless booster as long as the fit is good. :) (You have the screws in the armrests, right?)

CaseyRN

Ok I would definitely try it in the middle. I just went out and tried our new HB TB in the middle of DHs car and it works. I figured out that it was a combo of the shape of the seatback and the headrest that wasnt working and the center is different. There is a slight hump but it sits on the hump and is level so I think it is fine. Give the middle a try!

Eta: There is no headrest in the middle seat but since the turbobooster doesn't require vehicle headrest support it is fine. The back is completely flat though the head support is not touching but looks like that ok in the manual. Tech please correct me if I am wrong.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Vehicle support is always preferred, but not required by the TurboBooster. That could work as long as the Nautilus next to it doesn't create difficulties with space. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC