Booster for training

flutie128

So my DD will be 5 this May and I want to start booster training her in the summer. She is about 43 inches tall and 33 pounds. She will be going to kindergarten in the fall and will be driven in the morning. I think it will be easier if she is in a booster for the drop off. We have an old style Monterey and parkway sgl that DS is using backless currently. I don't mind buying another seat but I would prefer one that is latchable. She is currently riding in a Frontier85 and a Nautilus.

ADS

Baylor

I would use the Monterey if it works in your car. I really like it and with my youngest booster training is easy because it hugs him well. He stays in position better in it.

Baylor

My son started kindergarten in his GN. He could buckle it and unbuckle with ease at that point and it was faster than a booster. You may want to see how that works.

Phineasmama

Make sure that you get a booster with a 30 lbs weight minimum then, a lot of them have 40 lb minimums.

I think the high back graco boosters have 30 lb minimum? I would try one of those first, they fit smaller kids really well, would be good for training and you can always use it as a backup later on if you buy a more expensive booster for your main vehicle once she's boostered full time.

MommyShannon

I'd see what she can learn to unbuckle best. I hate buckling boosters, so I would harness if she can't buckle the booster IF she can learn to unbuckle her harness. My kids learned pretty well with the old nautilus buckle and FR85. I'd check her fit in the Monterrey since she can't ride in the Parkway. A turbo booster might fit better. My dd learned in her nautilus as a booster first but she was a lot bigger. I'm not sure how it fits a smaller child.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
One of my twins is that size and fits the Monterey well. However, we find it easier (and faster) for him to be harnessed. So he is now sporting a new RXT. He can buckle and unbuckle on his own, where as in the booster he would sometimes struggle. Not to mention issues with him sliding his hiney down when he got mad and end up with a belly belt. :(

tiggercat

I always sound like a broken record in these threads, but I wouldn't feel comfortable boostering a 33lb child, especially when there isn't really a need to do so.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

finn

We started booster training at 4, so I didn't have to switch seats out every time ds went in someone else's car. We used a turbo and found that it fits little kids really well. When ds turned 5 we boostered him full time in a Monterey but still use the turbo as a spare :)

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I always sound like a broken record in these threads, but I wouldn't feel comfortable boostering a 33lb child, especially when there isn't really a need to do so.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

I have to agree. I know at some point with a tiny kiddo you have to just make the choice to booster but I'm not sure at what point I'd be comfortable. 33 lbs is so super duper tiny. :)

I personally would not recommend the original monterey, if that is what you are referring to. It is not a great fit on petite kids at all. The shoulder belt fit is super wide and did not work well at all for my smaller ds at all. We got it when dd was 5 and it was not a good fit for her until she was a bit bigger and older and she is not petite at all.

The turbo is a great fit for tiny kids.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I absolutely agree that if possible, it would be best to keep her harnessed. She is about the size of my nephew, who will be five next month. I just can't imagine him in a booster at his current size.

My nephew knows how to buckle himself, but is hit-or-miss with getting the crotch buckle UNbuckled. Therefore, he is kept within arm's reach so he can get help, if needed.

I agree that it would be best, at this time, to work with her on unbuckling and buckling. :)

Lemonade

My son is 7 yrs and 1m. He's now 40-41 lbs and 46". Just started boostering him at 6.75 yrs. The SGL and Frontier are 40lbs lower limit boosters. The booster just really can't do it's job with a child that skinny. I'd wait and re-evaluate at the end of K.

flutie128

I have to agree. I know at some point with a tiny kiddo you have to just make the choice to booster but I'm not sure at what point I'd be comfortable. 33 lbs is so super duper tiny. :)

I personally would not recommend the original monterey, if that is what you are referring to. It is not a great fit on petite kids at all. The shoulder belt fit is super wide and did not work well at all for my smaller ds at all. We got it when dd was 5 and it was not a good fit for her until she was a bit bigger and older and she is not petite at all.

It is the original SK Monterey that I have. I will work on getting her to unbuckle her harness. I don't want her boostered full time just on the 5 minute ride to school. I will also work on her being able to unbuckle her harness. She know how to unbuckle the chest clip. Thanks for the advice ladies.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor

I have the orginal monterey for my skinny kiddo and the fit is amazing.... I think it really depends on the child. He started riding in it at 38ish lbs when he was outgrowing the Nautilus.

I too would not feel comfortable boostering a 33lb child if I didn't HAVE to. I would practice unbuckling the harnessed seat.

bubbaray

I too have the original Monterey and the fit was awesome (& checked by an instructor) when my very tiny DD1 was 5/40.

The only reason we are using it as a LBB now is the headrest issue. We also have the PW too which is OK but she always preferred the M

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC