expired seats vs no seats...

didymama

i've been thinking about this since i have an older touriva in my car (in the back trunk area). i grabbed it from the dump. it isn't that old-might be really close to expiring. there is rampant misuse/non use around here despite having some of the best laws. i have been thinking about keeping this seat in my car and give it to people that aren't using a seat for a child that obviously needs one. this was a child is at least somewhat properly restrained. i also have a graco BLB that i am thinking of doing the same thing with (this one i knowis good-i bought it at target). in CT kids need to be in something until 7 or 70 (they might be changing it to 8 and 80), but once a kid is in preschool around here forget it. what do you all think.

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
If you grabbed that seat from the dump, you have no idea if it has been in a crash. I would cut the straps, write do not use all over it and take a sledgehammer to the seat.

That is a seat that could potentially kill a child, not save his/her life. Just my :twocents:

If you know the booster is good and you are not using it, then that is a great idea to give that to someone who needs it.

natysr

If you found it at the dump, it may not only be expired, but it may also have been in an accident. I would not give it away to anyone.

Have you seen the crash footage on youtube of the expired seat? In that crash test, the harness completely pulled out of the carseat and the dummy flew out of the seat. Even if the user you wanted to give the seat to was originally using a lap/shoulder, or even just a lap belt in the car, and even though that isn't appropriate for the child's size, at least you know it won't completely disconnect from the car.

If you would like to start a carseat donation program, you could look for scenera's on sale and buy them new yourself to give away as you see fit. Talk to an accountant, maybe you could even claim a deduction on your taxes up to a certain dollar amount.

Of course both situations you described are bad, I think giving a bad seat gives a false sense of security to the user. They are at that point less likely to feel guilt about what they are doing and less likely to go buy a good seat (which they might do if they didn't have a seat at all for their child.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If it were one you had just happened to have owned and cared for properly and it was clean and uncrashed, and it was a little over the expiration date, that would be better than no seat, but how do you know someone from the dump hasn't already been in a crash with it? The first rule in the used seat checklist (www.cpsafety.com) is 'do you know the history of this seat? If no, then destroy it.

:)

didymama

i know all of this folks, but i have seen 2 year olds here with nothing because their parents "can't afford it" i have destroyed many a car seat, so i am really not that naive in that aspect as i may have sounded. there is a thinking here with some parents too that once thier kids don't need a stroller they don't need a car seat. i see this on a daily basis.

BTW after posting i do intend on destroying this seat. i have a couple extra tourivas that i am sole owner of that i'll use instead.

gwenvet

I would find out where in the community people can go and get free seats. In our town AAA, the hospital and the state police post all have free seat programs. You can pass along this information and know that they will get a new, reliable seat.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
i know all of this folks, but i have seen 2 year olds here with nothing because their parents "can't afford it" i have destroyed many a car seat, so i am really not that naive in that aspect as i may have sounded. there is a thinking here with some parents too that once thier kids don't need a stroller they don't need a car seat. i see this on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, even if you were able to give such people a free seat, it's unlikely they'd use it properly or even at all. :(

CRS

Senior Community Member
No, I would never give out a seat I got from the dump. If I'd bought the seat myself and was sure of it's history - then sure. I wouldn't be entirely comfortable with giving out an expired seat though I must admit. But yea, it probably is better then nothing huh. It would be a last resort though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC