Question How old was your booster child?

Jessica61624

How old was your booster child when they were able to buckle themself? Its the one thing keeping me from switching dd to a booster full time. She's 5.5 46in 49lbs.

ADS

Baylor

Ds1 was probably 6.5-7 . Because of the way the buckles are in my car. In dh's car he can do it much easier sooner.

NVMBR02

The were able to buckle themselves right away, before riding in a booster full time. So 5ish? The only time they weren't able to was in a few of our 3 across situations.

They were both able to buckle and unbuckle their harnessed seats at that point as well.

VoodooChile

Dd almost never could in the Frontier80s in booster mode (too wide). She ended up locking the seat belt half the time. When I got her the Oobr (2 months after she turned 6) and the Turbo with SS (about 6.5) she could buckle herself right away. So it was the booster that was the problem, not her ability.
She moved into boosters full-time at 5 years 1 month.

Jessica61624

Dd has been buckling and unbuckeking for over a year. Probably close to 2. We also have a 3 across but I was going to try the pool noodle trick.

MommyShannon

My DD was 6 when she started boosters. She could buckle in the nautilus right away since the back didn't move when she pulled the seatbelt. The TB took her a little longer once she started riding in it. 5 year old DS can't but he rarely rides boostered so I haven't really tried to teach him.

Jessica61624

Dd almost never could in the Frontier80s in booster mode (too wide). She ended up locking the seat belt half the time. When I got her the Oobr (2 months after she turned 6) and the Turbo with SS (about 6.5) she could buckle herself right away. So it was the booster that was the problem, not her ability.
She moved into boosters full-time at 5 years 1 month.

Good to know! We have a Monterey otw. In our current car we have locking latch plates.

Baylor

Yes. Just so Im clear. Ds1 can buckle the monterey and sante fe no problem. He had trouble with probooster and buckling gn in booster mode. In my middle bench the buckles are in the seat. makes it tough.

Lenae

Colton is starting to be able to manage it. He is 5. I usually straighten out the belt and whatnot, but he's actually able to buckle now. Next step is for him to start adjusting it on his own after buckling.

xursusmaritimusx

hard to say? i just started letting her ride full time in a booster, shes 6 years 3 months.

she can buckle herself in but its not easy in my car because the belt stalks are IN the seat and push down if you try to buckle with only one hand ('11 scion xb)

shes been riding in a booster occasionally in grandmas car since she was almost 5 and she can buckle herself in in that car without any problems (2000 vw beetle)

Last edited:

finn

Ds was 4.5, he started booster training at 4 though and was/is stubbornly independent, he went into a booster full time at 5 and was really good at it by then :) we use a turbo and a Monterey. He found the turbo easier as the arm rests kind of held the seatbelt in place so it didn't retract while he was trying to buckle it :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My girls are more dextrous and learned sooner, like 5-6, Leah still needs help with some, we have like 7 boosters, some are easier than others and take a different skillset every time. My ds was older, I suspect he has a touch of motor delays related to his dyslexia, but it was a major struggle when he was 7, even with a super easy Big Kid booster with arms flipped up and velcro holding the belt up for him :rolleyes: (the almost 5 yo boy I watch now can buckle up in the same seat, same van, without much trouble, he's a good athlete, it's interesting to see the difference in kids!)

lanwenyi

Dd could buckle the turbo at 4y8m. She's 5y5m now and still can't buckle the vivo unless I can give her 10 min to do it. We tried her in the parkway and she can't buckle it either.

On my phone; you know the spiel. . .

kam1011

My DD1 was maybe two months shy of her 6th birthday. We had three-across in both vehicles and it was very difficult. She mastered it right before I got rid of my car :)

OTOH my 4.5yo is still harnessed but sometimes hops into her booster and buckles if we're sitting in a parking lot waiting for someone or whatever, and he hops in buckles it, flatens the lap belt, tucks the shoulder belt. He'll be all set to go when I finally get up and go buy him his own! I really think it depends on the vehicle and the booster, too.

tiggercat

Megan, 7, has been buckling herself in her Turbo for a while now in our caravan, maybe a year? She can do the monterey too, but not the Nautilus the few times we used it in booster mode. She does occasionally need help, because of having the adjust clothing (we undo and move her coat out of the way in very cold weather, remove altogether when possible).

She can't buckle in the tight 3 across is her father or grandparent's vehicles.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Athena

My experience is very limited, but it seems like it completely depends on the buckle (floppy, stiff, recessed) and how the booster fits the vehicle (how accessible it is). Just trying the Parkway the other day with my 6 yo, it fit the vehicle so perfectly, holding the buckle in place, that she was able to buckle it. But for many, I don't think that would be the case. Maybe it's because she's just starting the booster, but she's been able to buckle her harnessed seats for a long time. HTH

tiggercat

Oh, I am also very particular about booster buckling, she might have been capable earlier. I had to physically double check and make sure it was snug enough (I am a compulsive belt tightener, lol) and no twists or folds, for a long time, and even now I make her show me by running her hand along the belt before we drive anywhere so i can see it is taunt. Yeah, I may have issues, lol.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC