Talk to me about the Peg Perego convertible... wanting to RF longer than my 35 lb seat : )

Wreckgoddess

Okay. So here is my situation currently:
3 years + 4 months old. Height 37 inches? Small torso, long legs. 31 lbs

We own:
Britax Advocate CS (65 lb FF/35 lb RF model) in a 2010 or 2011 Nissan Altima
(Dad's car. He rides passenger side outboard RF. Dad is TALLLLL)

Britax Advocate CS (65 lb FF/35 lb RF model) in a 2008? Chevy Tahoe
(Grandma's car. He rides RF in the middle of the middle row.)

Britax Advocate (70 lb FF/40 lb RF model) in 2009 Chevy Impala
(My car. He rides RF in the middle back seat)

I also own a spare Diono Radian RXT that I bought last year on Amazon and it just sits in my garage collecting dust. (sad, but true. Thought he was outgrowing his seats RF so I bought it and it hasn't been needed yet. I am waiting to switch to it until I HAVE to as I want him in the extra SIP just in case, especially after watching those NHTSA videos on ikea55's youtube account)

He is the only child. He rides in all of these cars on a daily basis.
That's why we have three carseats, I don't trust anyone but me, miss techy tech, to install seats for him. Besides, switching seats three times a day would be a pain in the booty for all in general.

We do not PLAN on having another kid for at least a year or more so handing down seats is not anything needed to consider. If that were to happen, well, I like buying seats so we would just buy new ones lol.

Okay: Here is my thoughts. Techs, please help me make a decision.

When Ben outgrows the two older model Advocates that only go to 35 lb RF, I KNOW in my heart I am not going to feel okay forward facing him and want to keep him RF.
I am considering buying a Peg Perego convertible for my car because they RF to 45 lb, or maybe I will put that one in Dad's car because he is outboard and the shell looks deeper.
Then, I will RF him in the Radian in my car, since he is in the middle. Because it's shell is not so deep.

The newer gen Britax that goes to 40 lb can go into g-mas car, as he rides in it the least. Because it's legroom is getting TIGHT.

Here is my "dilemma": Am I being wasteful spending $330 on ANOTHER carseat just to keep him RF for 10 more lbs? (What is the legroom like in the Peg Perego Convertible anyways? Anyone?)
I realize I have great seats.
I just... if we got in a wreck and he was hurt and I COULD HAVE spent my tax return money on the Peg and didn't because I wanted to be selfish with it... I would never be able to live with myself.
I know it's "ok" to FF at 3 in a properly installed/tethered seat etc.

Am I being a nut job?

I don't want to buy a 2nd Radian because I HATE THAT SEAT. It's a great seat, but I hate it : )

**Keep in mind this is all coming from a mom who breastfed to age 3 because his uncle died at age 16 from abdominal cancer and I read that in studies that they did in Sweden breastmilk kills cancer cells. I am Miss Overboard when it comes to my child... the love of my life. So feel free to help me justify the Peg. (I love car seat shopping!)

Or should I buy an illegal Swedish seat? For the money I would spend on the Peg? : )

ADS

Phineasmama

IMHO if you have the money, don't mind spending the money, and it would give you peace of mind to have another seat...why not?

I have a Peg convertible and I really like it. I would say it's probably my favorite out of all the convertibles I've owned. It's easy to use like a Britax, but it might have a little more leg room...it's just all around a NICE seat. I saw it in BuyBuyBaby once and wasn't impressed. But then I got one for super cheap on NBD one day pretty much on a whim, and I am so glad I did! Once I got it in the car and started using it I fell in love pretty much immediately.

I did just buy a Swedish seat, and it's not something I would necessarily recommend, since it is illegal to use. I'm definitely not going to go running around telling "normal" parents to buy a Swedish seat to keep their kids rear facing to 6 years old. For "normal" parents I would be happy if their 2 year old is in a correctly installed and used forward facing seat!
It's kind of a personal thing and it takes a certain kind of car seat crazy to import one of those :p I just love car seats and some of the decision for me was about the novelty of it all, to be honest. Mine isn't here yet, but I got the Two Way Elite because it seemed nice and low profile and easy to use. And maybe a little more padded/cushy than the Multi Tech. So I will most likely let my 4 year old use that for a while, but when my giant baby is a little older I will switch her to that. It's just easier for me to get the kids in and out of a rear facing seat that's lower profile as opposed to up on a base.

Just go with your gut and do what you feel comfortable with.

MommyShannon

I have been drooling over the Peg, but the stats say it isn't any taller rf than a Britax 70 seat. Does reality reflect the numbers with it?

mevs mom

I bought a peg but returned it. In all honesty it was a great seat but didnt give my little one the extra additional room that I thought it would. I think it's one inch less room than the radian offers for RFing due to the fact you can only use it on the 7th click. If you were able to use it to the fullest capacity Id rear face my 6 year old again. Yes I'm also carseat crazy.

Wreckgoddess

Is the foonf going to be giving me what I am wanting? Does it RF up to 45? Legroom?
Should I (UGH) consider another Radian and have 2 seats I hate?

I am not too concerned about him outgrowing Britax heightwise. It's the weight I worry about more. So...

jordansmom

How much room does he have in his seats now height wise? Have you tried him in the Peg to see how much growing room he would have? My 3.5 yr old is about the same stats and while I LOVE our Peg for DS2, I think it would be a pain for my older to get in and out of it because of the base. A reason I wouldn't like the Foonf as well. If I was in your position I would probably make the parental decision to consider importing a seat...

Phineasmama

The Foonf at least in my experience has about as much height room rear facing as the Radian does. BUT it sits up super duper high, so that was a deal breaker for me because it was a PITA for me to get my 1 year old in and out of it, much less a 3-4 year old. So it could work if you're willing to deal with that.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Foonf has a 43" RF limit I think? The Peg's is 47", but that being said, I don't think any 47" hold would for RF at the 7th click.

Wreckgoddess

He has 2-3 inches above his head in the Advocates that go to 35 lb RF (older model) but about 2 inches above his head in the new generation Britax

$474?????? Foonfie darling, you is EXPENSIVE.

I can justify $330, but maybe not $500.... : )

And if the Foonf sits up higher than the Peg... ugh.. loading him in would SUCK.

He is thin enough I am sure 45 lbs should be long enough RF.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't love the look of the foonf.
(I looove the red Peg... at least online)

Thought that people weren't liking the foonf once they got them?

clmchrissy

Have you tried your RXT yet? I have always liked the Radian but hated the XT & XTSL models. I got DD an RXT after Thanksgivng and I LOVE it!!! I am not sure what the difference is. Her other seat is a Blvd 70 that I had to have for the Paisley cover I way over paid for used and as much as I really like the Blvd I cannot give up using m RXT daily :) if you do find a Peg locally please let know as I have wanted one for awhile.

Wreckgoddess

Yes, I've tried the RXT. I HATE IT.
I hate installing it, I hate uninstalling it, I hate moving it, I hate buckling the dinky feeling huge chest clip, I hate ratcheting it tight, I hate it forward facing, I hate it rearfacing, I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like it, Sam I am!

Sorry. Rant. Tired of my knuckles getting scraped. And my latch connectors never seem to work. And it weighs a TON.

I have never seen a Peg locally. I was going to order it online.

jordansmom

Since you said he has several inches and a few more pounds in all of your seats, I would personally wait on purchasing a new seat, unless of course, you just have an itch for a new seat! I would re-evaluate when he is closer to the limits since for my DS1 several inches and several pounds could take years to grow!

Isn't there a new Chicco convertible in the works? Who knows what might come out closer to when you *need* it...

Wreckgoddess

True. Thats what happened when I bought the Radian last year at tax time. I thought he was totally going to gain 5 lbs and freaked. I bought a carseat I have barely used! I've used it a few times for my nephew and a friends child. But otherwise, I wasted money.
But here we are, tax return money time again, and are close to that 35 limit RF.... I don't know if it would be another year before he gained it.

Phineasmama

Nope. And my son has been at 35 lbs for like a year now too! With 5 lb to go I would seriously wait, the NextFit might be really good and you might want to buy one of those. If he starts getting closer you can always buy something before then

Carolinadaisy

What does he weigh fully clothed? Still under 35 lbs I'm sure! You can always leave shoes off in the seat to cut down on weight too. Then when the weather warms up, clothes will weigh less. I wouldn't replace yet unless he's 34 lbs clothed. My son is in a 35lb rf seat as well, a Boulevard 65. He's 30ish fully clothed.....I'm waiting on the Chicco nextfit. If I love it, I'll get one. May end up waiting until fall if he isn't up to 35lbs though.

Mercuria

I'm not sure if it matters to your family, but we could not deal with a Peg, even though my husband and I fell in LOVE with it. It only allows RF angles between 40° and 45°. Our little one wouldn't tolerate it =(

Other than that, I think it's nicer than the Britaxes in every tactile way. I guess we're lucky that it wouldn't work for us because we were just looking for a stopgap until the Chiccco NextFit came out/he outgrew the seat, and then it would become a backup seat (we got a great deal on a new BLVD here, but we both liked the Peg $150+ more).

I don't think it would help you RF any longer than what you have, but it is a very, very nice seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC