Road trip, 7-year-old (which seat?)

bnsnyde

I asked this question in a post but I probably should have just made it a new post.
Wondering what you would do; planning ahead to summer. A new 7-year-old (60 lbs. and 49/50 inches). Rides in a booster normally. Planning a 7-hour trip on highway and then curvy roads (all dangerous and scary) to grandma's house. Captain's chair in a new van.

1. Remain in booster (He has an Oobr or Prosport (booster mode only fits).
2. Put in our spare Radian XT. He fits fine BUT his shoulders would be over the top slots.
3. Get Frontier85 (though I have no use for one after trip).

My concern is he might sleep and I have no idea how he'll do with that, and I do have to remind him to stay in position sometimes on our short trips around town. Next to his sister for 7 hours really doesn't inspire me.

His 4 and 5-year-old siblings (both over 40 lbs.) will be in a FF Radian, so if I wanted to freak out about neck load (and I do somewhat) I'd have to worry about them too. Just too much worrying! :) It's just the 7-year-old I'm unsure what to do with.

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That's tough. I do not FF in the Radian over the top slot. It's just my personal issue. I wouldn't buy a new seat unless it could be used by someone after the trip.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We just made a 24-hour trip (over the course of a few days) with my kids, including my 8-year-old. He was in the Monterey and did fine. He's not a sleeper, though. If he were a sleeper--and if he were a "flopping-over sleeper"--I'd go with a harness for sure. Otherwise I see no problem with a booster.

MommyShannon

I'd probably (and did when dd was 6) use it as justification for a FR. It's an awesome travel seat. I love having it for DD when I think she will be a little crazy in the van at 7.5 now. DD does sleep correctly in boosters but looks a lot more comfortable sleeping in the FR. Besides, it has 2 cup holders! I'm sure you'd end up liking it for the other kids too.

Baylor

My kids both sleep awesome in Monterey. It's kind of impossible not to. I would never harness over the top slots. Ever.

auto correct hates me

babyherder

When it gets to within a few weeks of your trip I'd order a Frontier85 if you're still reminding him to sit correctly sometimes. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Can you bring the Radian as an as-needed harness option? Its presence will probably mean it's not needed, lol.

scoutingbear

This fall I took my 6 year old who is part harnessed and part bolstered on a 5 day road trip in a booster. He did great and all three kids were across the backseat. I did have the RSTV with me just in case but he really surprised me. He is a flop over sleeper in dh's car when boostered but did fine because of the more sloped seats in my friends sedan.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC