Question Car seat for Toyota Tacoma?

B

Berd75

Hello!

We need some help here. My husband drives a Tacoma and has to take our daughter in the car on some occasions, which means she has to ride in the front seat with the airbag off. :(
She is just turning 18 months and weighs approximately 21 pounds, possibly 22 lbs, and is approximately 30" long.
We are trying to find a convertible carseat that is appropriate for her and allows the driver to see the side view mirror on the passenger's side. This is no easy task. We thought we found one today in the Safety 1st Alpha Elite. It fits well and we really like its features. I was about to order when I saw that forward facing requires a 34" minimum. I don't like this, because my daughter is very petite and it will likely be a long time until she reaches the height requirement.

Can someone please point us in the right direction? I'm not even sure if a carseat exists that meets our requirements. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome! All Dorel (Safety 1st, Eddie Bauer, Cosco) carseats have minimum forward-facing height limits to encourage extended rear-facing. I know that rear-facing in the front seat of a truck is kind of a bummer due to visibility, but it's actually much safer to rf. First, though, your dh must absolutely make sure the airbag is turned off each and every ride.

Since she's still pretty small, you could go for a small seat like the Combi Coccoro or the Cosco Scenera. The Coccoro has lots of EPS foam and nicer user features whereas the Scenera is just a basic seat, but both will get you to at least age 2 rf.

There are so many other carseats in the price range of the Alpha Elite that I would consider first--the First Years True Fit, Graco MyRide 70, Graco Size4Me/MySize/HeadWise 70, Britax Roundabout 55--that would work as well and give you more bang for your buck.

I just had another idea. You could do an infant seat. Graco has the Click Connect 40 that rear-faces to 40 lbs. When she's not riding in the infant seat, the carrier can be stored elsewhere so your dh can see the mirror. The downside is that it costs as much as the more expensive convertibles I listed above, but if you're planning on another baby or have a close relative who can use the seat as well, it may be worth it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC