Question Problem with LATCH on Graco Affix

jdeemarie

Last week I got one of the new Graco Affix boosters for my son. It looked great and I loved how easy the LATCH install was with the straps in the front. I finished the installation and gave a slight tug on the seat to see if I needed to pull the LATCH tighter, but the LATCH loosened on the left side. I uncliped the LATCH and reinstalled the seat, but the same thing happened. I brought the seat inside and reread the manual to see if I missed anything. Even when the seat isn't installed in a car, I can tug the LATCH buckle from the back of the seat and completely loosen it on the one side.

I contacted Graco to let them know about the problem and they quickly sent me a replacement seat base. I received the new base yesterday, pulled it out of the box, and discovered that it has exactly the same problem.

I've searched through the forum here but I don't see anyone posting that they had this problem with the Affix. It seems strange to me that I received two defective seats so I'm wondering if this is just the way the LATCH works on the Affix. I know that the seatbelt is what holds the child in the car and that the LATCH is just to prevent an empty seat from becoming a projectile. Should I use the seat the way it is?

I do worry a little bit that my son might tug on the seat when he's climbing in and pull it out from the seat (but wouldn't that be the same problem with any booster without LATCH?). Certainly the LATCH being loose on one side means there would be more movement of the seat if there was a crash, but would it be enough that I should be concerned for the safety of the other kids in the back?

ADS

creideamh

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but boosters with flexible LATCH attachments aren't made to be cemented into the car. The LATCH is only there to prevent the seat from becoming a projectile when unoccupied. It isn't made to keep the seat from moving when kids get in/out. I think on a few of them, you can't even tighten the LATCH straps (you just connect them and that's it.) So yes, I would use it unless you prefer a booster held in with rigid LATCH.

NannyMom

It does sound like a weird issue though. I'm assuming (never having seen the seat in person or read the manual) there's a button or lever that's supposed to allow it to loosen? Did you call Graco about the 2nd booster yet?

Baylor

Last week I got one of the new Graco Affix boosters for my son. It looked great and I loved how easy the LATCH install was with the straps in the front. I finished the installation and gave a slight tug on the seat to see if I needed to pull the LATCH tighter, but the LATCH loosened on the left side. I uncliped the LATCH and reinstalled the seat, but the same thing happened. I brought the seat inside and reread the manual to see if I missed anything. Even when the seat isn't installed in a car, I can tug the LATCH buckle from the back of the seat and completely loosen it on the one side.

I contacted Graco to let them know about the problem and they quickly sent me a replacement seat base. I received the new base yesterday, pulled it out of the box, and discovered that it has exactly the same problem.

I've searched through the forum here but I don't see anyone posting that they had this problem with the Affix. It seems strange to me that I received two defective seats so I'm wondering if this is just the way the LATCH works on the Affix. I know that the seatbelt is what holds the child in the car and that the LATCH is just to prevent an empty seat from becoming a projectile. Should I use the seat the way it is?

I do worry a little bit that my son might tug on the seat when he's climbing in and pull it out from the seat (but wouldn't that be the same problem with any booster without LATCH?). Certainly the LATCH being loose on one side means there would be more movement of the seat if there was a crash, but would it be enough that I should be concerned for the safety of the other kids in the back?

Latch is only to keep the seat from flying when unoccupied not to hold seat in a crash when in use.
Many boosters are used without latch it is not a safety concern. But I would want it to work properly. I would call them and get another replacement or return seat if it is not working the way it should.

auto correct hates me

Phineasmama

I will have to check my seat and see if it does this...

I'm not really worried as long as the LATCH is still attached to the booster, all I need it to do is keep it from flying across the vehicle, I don't need it to be super tight.

Rigid latch is nice, but it can be a pain for certain situations like 3 across where it's beneficial to have a little wiggle room as to where you position the seat.

aeormsby

Agreed with everyone else saying you don't need to worry about the amount of movement for latched boosters. We have the Parkway SGL and I keep it a little loose on purpose because otherwise the seat is so close to the buckle stalk that DD can't get the seatbelt buckled.

Phineasmama

Agreed with everyone else saying you don't need to worry about the amount of movement for latched boosters. We have the Parkway SGL and I keep it a little loose on purpose because otherwise the seat is so close to the buckle stalk that DD can't get the seatbelt buckled.

I have to do this as well. I just put the cruiser fix pro in my crv today and didn't even bother latching it because with the rigid latch it would be too close

jdeemarie

It does sound like a weird issue though. I'm assuming (never having seen the seat in person or read the manual) there's a button or lever that's supposed to allow it to loosen? Did you call Graco about the 2nd booster yet?

Yes, there's a button that allows both LATCH straps to loosen at the same time. I can't imagine why Graco would design a seat where it's easy to tighten the LATCH straps and yet they're not intended to stay tight. The seat likely won't fly around the car in a crash, but the bottom of the seat on the one side does pull out more than 5 inches from the seat back. This is my first booster seat so I don't know all the rules... is 5 inches of slack okay or would I need to buckle the seat in when unoccupied?

I think I'll contact Graco again tomorrow and see if this is normal for this seat.

dhardawa

Curious what Graco said. I'm having the exact same issue and I'm not using the seat like this because I'm afraid it will pivot in a crash.

F

forevr5688

I've had the Graco Affix for a little over a month. Both latches were capable of staying locked and tight against the back of the seat when pulled tight. The release button allows you to loosen the latches for easy installation and removal. Everything was okay until this evening when I noticed that the seat moved as my daughter was getting out. I tried pulling the straps tight again and tested the seat but the left side (passenger side) no longer locks. The right side (driver's side) stays locked. Looks like I'm not the only one having the problem. I am going to contact Graco in the morning.

jdeemarie

The first time I contacted Graco, they sent me a new replacement base (it didn't come with the padded fabric cover or the armrests - they have to be switched over from the original) but it had the same problem. I looked at the Affix boosters in several stores nearby, but every single one had the same issue, so I just let it drop for a while, thinking that it was just the way the seat is created. After I received another reply on this post asking what Graco's response was I reopened my "inquiry" and asked if this was the way the seat was intended to work. I also asked if the seat was safe to use and if I was going to need to buckle the seat in when empty so it wouldn't move in a crash. This was their final response to me:

"Thanks for contacting Consumer Services. We we like to refer you to a licensed car seat technician in your area to check the installation of your Affix Highback. Please have your car seat installation check by one of the following technicians in your area:
(they gave me the address of two locations for carsafekids.org in my area)
If the issue persists after having the installation checked, please contact Consumer Services. Thank you."

I haven't taken the seat in to get checked by a tech, but I'm pretty sure they'll see the same thing I do. I'm still not quite sure what to do, but for now we ocassionally use the seat in Daddy's car - we use it like a regular booster seat that doesn't LATCH in, but at least I know that, when my son is sitting in the seat and is all buckled in, he is safe.

Shanora

Any updates?? I'm asking cause I'm coming across a few Graco seats with the Button LATCh that doesn't stay secure....

U

Unregistered

I just got a new Graco Affix for the soon-to-visit grandson and have the same issue with the left (lower) latch strap not catching inside the base when tightened -- so it is easy to just slide the booster out on that side, about 5". I was going to take it back and get another but sounds like this is a design issue rather than a defect on a few... any updates? My daughter has the same seat and I will ask her if this does it too.

grammyM

I just got a new Graco Affix for the soon-to-visit grandson and have the same issue with the left (lower) latch strap not catching inside the base when tightened -- so it is easy to just slide the booster out on that side, about 5". I was going to take it back and get another but sounds like this is a design issue rather than a defect on a few... any updates? My daughter has the same seat and I will ask her if this does it too.

I talked with my daughter last night and her Affix TB does not slip when latched. Both straps are held tight until the release button is pressed. But I'm comforted by other comments above... so I will just belt my grandson in and know he is safe.

grammyM

I talked with my daughter last night and her Affix TB does not slip when latched. Both straps are held tight until the release button is pressed. But I'm comforted by other comments above... so I will just belt my grandson in and know he is safe.

Update: I did talk with Graco because I had second question about the Affix booster. The representative told me it is considered "normal" to have the left latch strap loose while the right one stays secure. I guess there were so many calls about this that it is now the norm!

U

Unregistered

I have had the same issue...we originally bought 2, one latch system works fine...it holds the booster tight to the seat. The other one would not hold it securely and would pull about 5" from the back of the seat. We returned it, got a replacement from Graco and it has the same issue.

The concept of the latch system being designed solely for the purpose of avoiding a projectile makes no sense...if that was the intent, there would be no need to have the ability to tighten it in the first place. Like I said before, one of our boosters works great, the other 2 have this latch issue...which to me is a major safety issue and design flaw.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have had the same issue...we originally bought 2, one latch system works fine...it holds the booster tight to the seat. The other one would not hold it securely and would pull about 5" from the back of the seat. We returned it, got a replacement from Graco and it has the same issue.

The concept of the latch system being designed solely for the purpose of avoiding a projectile makes no sense...if that was the intent, there would be no need to have the ability to tighten it in the first place. Like I said before, one of our boosters works great, the other 2 have this latch issue...which to me is a major safety issue and design flaw.

No, it's not necessarily a flaw. Back in the early days, boosters that stayed tight (via rigid LATCH and no armrests) allowed the dummy to fly forward and down, basically making them submarine into the belt. A booster that rides WITH the child did not have that problem, the 'armrests' (actually lap belt guides to hold the belt down with the aesthetic appearance of armrests, though most kids arms aren't long enough to use them that way on most seats...) holds the belt down on the hips. Anyway, Graco must have tested them to perform equally well tight or loose, as it was a design change due to customer concern that they were not staying tight. I wonder if the dates of manufacture on your seats are different? There was a date that they changed over from allowing them to loosen and when they made them stay tight.

http://carseatblog.com/21299/graco-affix-review-stuck-on-you/ (Unfortunately, I can't find the post I remember reading about the change to make the LATCH stay tight or what date it was, I apologize!)

U

Unregistered

Re: Problem with LATCH on Graco Affix model 1852665

I came to look at this problem online. This thread is old dating back 2013 with the latch anchor issues with the Affix model. Mine was manufactured 10/16/2017. Model 1852665 I bought this seat for my 4 year old child back in March 15, 2018. The seat achor latches both were locked in tightly after 2.5 half months recently this weekend memorial day weekend 5/26-27 of 2018 we came across the right side latch does not lock anymore. It can be pulled out loosen to one side. Left side does not loosen stays in place. The release button is suppose to release or loosen the latches. Not be able to pull it out when testing its tighten in place. Wondering if anyone else has problems or continue to have these problems. My child can even pull it out. Like I said it was working locking both sides securely now one side is giving slack when pulling or testing it to be secured. I will call graco on this model and issue. See what they say. I do not feel safe for my daughter to sit in this seat. I've seen lots of good reviews for this seat and hope its just a defect on mine only and not as design otherwise I would not buy this model again.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Re: Problem with LATCH on Graco Affix model 1852665

There's no reason it would make the booster unsafe to use, as this is purely a convenience feature to prevent having to buckle the unoccupied seat each time the child gets out- it serves no crash purpose whatsoever for the child. But go ahead and call and see what Graco says- there might even be a quick fix like making sure nothing is stuck in there. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC