Do you prefer different types of seats for rfing vs ffing?

rachelandtyke

Just curious. I've been thinking of all the car seat switching around that's going to occur over the next couple of years with DS and baby.

I realized that I really prefer car seats on a base for rfing, for example we have a Roundabout 50 in my van and an Evenflo Triumph Advance in DH's car.

When DD was rfing, she was in a Boulevard, but for some reason I didn't like it as much ffing. When I was ready to move DS out of his infant seat and into a convertible, he got that and I moved her into the True Fit. I much prefered the True Fit for ffing.

So I realized that I really prefer car seats not on a base for ffing. (also noticed the difference when we had friends with us in the Blvd and EFTA with DD in the TF) DD is in a booster now, so we're not using any seats ffing until DS hits 35 lbs and outgrows our rfing seats.

Anyway, just curious if anyone doesn't like the same seats for rfing and ffing?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep, I'm the same way. That's one reason I actually like the design of the Foonf for my needs. High base RFing for loading in from the back of the van, low profile FFing when the base is removed. Not that my particular kid will probably get any use out of it FFing.

Phineasmama

Yes. I tend to use FFing only seats (Prosport, Frontier) for FFing because they are easier for the kids to get in and out of.

gsdguenter

Yes. Actually, I prefer to use convertibles for rf only. I have 1 ff and 1 rf kid and they don't share seats. DD1 ff in the FR85 and Nauti. She also rides in a Monterey, Oobr, TB and PArkwaySGL at times.

If I have to ff her in a radian I will, but it's not my first choice. She ff in the TFP for a short while, but I much prefer ff only seats for ff. mostly for fit reasons.

D&L's-mommy

I'm the same way. I'm narrowing down my options for a convertible, but I am focusing on ones that have high rf limits, not even looking at the ff limits. Once ff I will switch the convertible out for a combination seat

Brianna

As J outgrew his convertibles RF they got switched to spares and he moved to combination seats for his 2 primary seats. I'll let you know if we switch to dedicated boosters in a few years ;)

I'm pretty sure he only moved to combination seats because that meant I could buy more and get my new seat fixes :)

abigaylebelle

I'll be the odd one out. I like convertible seats for rf and ff. For one I like to get my money's worth out of a seat so I want to use it for both intended purposes. All of my convertible seats have a little bit of a base which I like so the kid can see out the windows better. Plus I much prefer dedicated boosters so I just switched to those after the convertible.
I can see how the big base ff would be annoying with a larger, younger child who would need to be ff harnessed for a long time though. My 6 year old is the size of a 4 year old and it is only now that he is starting to seem big in a convertible up on a base. He usually rides in a booster now.

StillThankful

For FFing:

ease of DDs getting in and out of seat~prefer no base FFing seats (love my GN and FR85)
SIP~prefer Convertibles (love my EFTA, ADV 70, and my MR65).

newyorkDOC

No preference for RF but isofix is convenient.

For FF, must have ISOFIX as we are going straight to booster.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I tend to move to convertible as soon as possible, and then we use those RF until roughly age 4. I get plenty of use out of them, so I don't feel guilty moving kids to combination seats when they go FF, which is generally my preference. And then dedicated boosters.

My feelings might differ if I just had a couple of kids to get through seats from birth through 12, but I have a variety of children rotating in and out, so I have enough seats to be picky about it. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC