Belt fit on the plane and RSTV

mrosehughes

So, I've traveled a lot with DS and his radian, but now that he's getting bigger (and he is a *big* kid -- 42" and 40+ lbs at not quite 3.5 years old) with the frequency we travel I'm wondering if we shouldn't try to get a RSTV for our next two trips (a week in early March, then another week in early May). So a few questions for those of you who have used them and/or flown without a harness:

1) Would flying without a harnessed seat be a huge PITA while we're on the plane? As I mentioned, DS is 40lbs and 42", which I think is close to the weight most of you have said the belt fit starts to be acceptable. Obviously there is the benefit of not lugging the carseat on the plane, but if he won't sit still (because he's not restrained) on the flight it won't be worth it. Most kids are a bit older than 3.5 by the time they reach 40lbs and 42" :giggle:

2) How easy/hard is the RSTV to use?

3) Any thoughts on the safety of the RSTV compared with that of a FFing harnessed seat? He *might* still fit RFing in the radian by the time we travel, but it's not definite. If he is, however, and we decide against the RSTV, we will bring his radian and RF in any cars we're in. RFing will obviously be safer, I suppose.

ETA : I have thought about CARES, but thought it wouldn't be worth it for us because DS is already approaching the weight limit... Am I wrong about that?

ETA2: DH brought up a point when I discussed this with him: what happens if DS falls asleep in the RSTV? We'll be doing a lot of driving during our first trip.

Last edited:
ADS

jjordan

Your ds is heavier than mine and a similar height. Mine is 4.5 years old, so a little older, but on our recent plane trip, he did fine without a harness on the plane. If it's not a crazy-long flight, I'd probably take the chance.

I've never used an RSTV so I'm no help there. Safety-wise, we don't have any data comparing the two. If he's the only child, he can likely sit in the middle of the back seat of the rental car, so it seems like it would be very safe. Personally I wouldn't worry about not being RF at that age.

HTH!

creideamh

The CARES is 44lbs, 40in maximums. I'm not sure about going above the height limit- I think you'd have plenty of strap length, but it's 40in and that's that. Maybe contact the company... if they give the OK to go above it, I'd just rent one since he's so close to the weight limit. If you end up not being able to use CARES and the flights are long, I'd drag a harnessed seat if you don't trust him to sit still.

My 4.5 y/o cousin has been using an RSTV for about a year now in his sister's car and falls asleep in it a lot since they live about 40 min from the nearest city. The tether keeps him upright (and the vest itself is pretty rigid), so it works fine. Looks a little uncomfortable to us, but he's never complained. We put him in the middle for the obvious reason of not having a shell and because the center is a lap-only belt (the outboard positions are needed for older kids.)

newyorkDOC

The cares limits are an FAA limit apparently:

CARES for Special Needs Flyers

ARE YOU FLYING WITH A CHILD WHO HAS SPECIAL NEEDS?

If your child has a disability that requires hauling a brace to provide upper body support in an airplane seat, you know what a hassle it is to make arrangements months in advance with the airline. And you have to do it again before each subsequent trip! Check with your child’s physician or physical therapist to determine if the CARES child aviation restraint provides sufficient upper body support for your child. If it does – no more having to make arrangement weeks or months in advance with airlines because CARES is already certified for kids 22-44 lbs for all phases of flight. So, just book your flight, carry your 1 pound CARES on board in your pocket or purse, install it on any seat in one minute. And know that your child is secure for taxiing, take off, turbulence and landing.

YOUR SPECIAL NEEDS FLYER OVER 44 LBS AND 40 INCHES TALL CAN ALSO USE CARES.

Your special needs flyer over 44 pounds can also use CARES. Be sure you ask for the row in front of the bulkhead (this may be the last row of seats in the plane). This will allow you to use it during all phases of flight from takeoff to landing.

To use CARES on US airlines, older children, teens, and adults with special needs must make a request to the FAA for an “exemption” from the standard CARES height and weight limits. This “exemption” will apply to ALL future flights. The instructions for filing this request follow.

NOTE: When you are ready to purchase your CARES – if your special needs flyer is under 5 ft tall, the regular CARES will fit. If your special needs flyer is close to, or over 5 ft tall, you want to purchase “SPECIAL CARES” which extends to accommodate an adult flyer up to 6 ft.”

creideamh

Oh yeah, I think I knew that.
I can't really imagine an FA nitpicking at a 3.5 year old being a couple inches over the stated limit. I'm sure it could happen, though.

HappyHoo

My 3.5 yo who is that size is still RF in one of his Radians. So I don't think I'd be that comfortable with him in an RSTV depending on how much driving we were doing (plus I'm thinking it might be hard for him to see out of the window).

And we still flew with the Radian when my DD was over 4 (taller than 42" but more like 39 lbs) and I was glad to have it on the plane b/c it helped her sit more still and sleep better - I think she would have been a lot more wiggly with just the plane seat belt.

Also considering the fact my 3.5 yo DS is very wiggly sitting at a table - we often still choose to take our portable booster when we go out to eat so we can strap him in - I think he'd behave much better still in the 5 pt harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC