After the Side Impact test videos...

Baylor

I am freaked out about ds1 (8.5) riding in a lbb in my car. I told him he can ride in it for school, ( we don't leave the neighborhood,) but for all other driving he needs to use the Monterey.

So has anyone else changed seats or moved kids based on the videos???

ADS

gsdguenter

Yeah, I got freaked using the TF ff. I have so many extra seats that it was fine to just switch up my rotation.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I now prefer seats with headwings or deep SIP. I know there is not a testing standard, but I figure the extra protection can only help.

creideamh

I'm not TOO worried about it with side airbags, but I've always preferred headwings and SIP. I don't worry about my 7 y/o cousin in a backless outboard if I need 3 across (otherwise she uses the Parkway), but I'm leery of FF Radians without headwings, for instance.

My brother's car doesn't have side airbags, and I'll only use seats with headwings and SIP in there. (We rarely ride in that car, though.) I think it's a legitimate concern.

whitneyg

I am now also in the headwings/SIP camp for both kids for RF and eventual FF. That MR video was pretty impressive...too bad it won't fit where I need it.

love-pink

I'm not comfortable with no wings in non side air bag equipped vehicles.

Dd rides outboard in a rfing RXT in my car and outboard ffing in a R100 in dhs truck. Both cars are very well equipped and have good side impact scores. I personally believe the wings do help protect but honestly the vehicle is first defense and more important.

I doubt we will know any time in the near future but that's my rationalizing. ;)

Eta: My 7,8 and 11 year olds ride in nbb boosters 90% of the time and I'm okay with that because of my confidence in the sip airbags in our vehicles. Long trips my middle two have Amp hbb just because they get sleepy and tippy ;)

Syllieann

I'm using wings until they are tall enough for the side curtain airbags. My kids also rf until they are that tall in my vehicle so i feel pretty good about the rf plus wings combo. I got rid of the scenera that dd was using rf outboard though I was already uncomfortable with it before seeing the videos. I guess it didnt change anything for me, just confirmed what I already suspected and justified a purchase I was already preparing to make.

D&L's-mommy

I'm new to all that goes into car safety (I always used seats,but now that I've been learning so much for you guys, I'm sure there was some misuse)
This isn't about SIP necessarily, but more about booster vs harness.
I recently saw a crash test video showing the difference between the effects of a crash on a child in a booster vs. a harness. The booster video scared the living crap out of me :eek: The dummy's body practically folded in half as the child's upper body went forward. I thought the seat belt was supposed to lock in a crash? or is it supposed to let you move forward like that? I just started booster training my 4.5 YO yesterday, and was all ready to move her to a HBB, but now I want to keep her harnessed forever. I also heard that after a certain age or size a seat belt is safer because it reduces the force to the chest or neck (I don't really remember details).
My kids ride in a vivo and nautilus, and I feel they're both safe in them and provide good SIP, do you agree? I know all seats are safe and pass the same tests, but honestly, we all pick seats that we feel, for whatever reason, go above and beyond.

Baylor

Boosters are safe at an appropriate age for a child and with proper fit.

The thing is that my guess is that the neck loads may be less in a child in a booster in that video because the entire torso moves forward.

I am sure one of the techs will correct me and make sure the proper info is here.

But booster vs harness is not at all a concern for me based on the sip videos for me.

It might help to share video you are talking about :)

auto correct hates me

Baylor

Just thinking outloud here but wouldn't a seatbelt allow for more side to side movement than a 5 point harness?

I don't know. That's over my head. My comment was more about how my booster performed in the sip testing. ;)

auto correct hates me

Wreckgoddess

Those videos have certainly changed my recommendations, thats for darn sure. There are certain seats I will NOT recommend, especially if those kids ride outboard. And I now go into "If you want your kid to be SAFEST, buy a ERF carseat with a DEEP shell and LOTS of foam/head padding, etc around the head area." and I tell them what I saw on those videos.

As far as changing what my kid rides in? Well that hasn't changed, because he was already RF in a Britax Advocate in every car he rides in.
But I haven't moved him to the Radian RXT that I had bought for him to RF in because it has more legroom.. I mean I will when he outgrows the Advocate I have that only goes up to 35 lbs RF out of necessity.

But I am quite possibly going to buy a Graco Size 4 Me (or the Target model identical to it but with Safety Surround) when he outgrows the Advocate RF in my car.

DH thinks I am being a bit nutty. But he hasn't seen the videos.

jacqui276

The videos look scary (and I have a car with no side airbags) but it hasn't scared me enough to take DD out of her backless booster. At her age and size, I don't see the point in trying to find a hbb that fits her and spending the money on it when she has a great fit in her current booster.

Generally in a side impact collision, wouldn't the ffing child fly forward as well as to the side because of the vehicle likely being in forward motion when hit from the side (I would imagine that being stopped when hit from the side is pretty rare). If that's the case, wouldn't they potentially completely miss all of that SIP and still hit the side of the car? Although, I suppose the booster may fly forward with them, potentially still protecting them.

That being said, I did choose an RXT with head wings for DS and will RF him for as long he fits to increase his protection.

Wreckgoddess

Am I the only one who didn't love the Chicco on the videos? If I have another baby I think I will go with a Britax Chaperone because it is similar to the Advocate and I loved how the Advocate performed.
I still recommend the Chicco though, because it really is SO easy to install.. especially for "dummies" to car seat safety : )

D&L's-mommy

Boosters are safe at an appropriate age for a child and with proper fit.

The thing is that my guess is that the neck loads may be less in a child in a booster in that video because the entire torso moves forward.

I am sure one of the techs will correct me and make sure the proper info is here.

But booster vs harness is not at all a concern for me based on the sip videos for me.

It might help to share video you are talking about :)

auto correct hates me
what does deduced neck loads mean? Do you want reduced neck loads (I'm sure that sounds like a dumb question)
This is what I was thinking of http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...dsp=37&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0,i:118&tx=120&ty=39

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Am I missing something? WHAT VIDEOS???????

:yeahthat: If you're going to start a thread to talk about seat changes after videos, post the videos! :ROTFLMAO:

There's a thread about them here - I'm sure you saw them Techno, probably commented on them too. I don't want to read through the pages and pages again to check though :)

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=227079

If you search for 'ikea55' on youtube that's the person posting them. We still don't know where they came from though, and no data so who the heck knows what the actual OUTCOME is; all crash tests look awful.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC