Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

I don't even know if we can, but figured someone here would know. I was contacted by a Mama that I've helped with seats before. She is far from a novice and is great at installing all of her seats. She got a 2013 Subaru Forester. She said she couldn't get any of her seats to install with either LATCH or seatbelt. She ended up going to another tech and they managed to get 2 of the seats to work. She asked me if she should just call Subaru or if there is somewhere else she can report the problem to... NHTSA?
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Where to complain about new vehicles carseat friendliness?

The NHTSA's consumer fitment program was supposed to begin to be adopted late last year. Each automotive manufacturer is supposed to provide a grid of carseats in each category that fit each of its vehicles. The program is optional and no automakers have yet adopted the program, due to the difficulty in meeting the guidelines to allow any carseats to qualify as being compatible in many vehicles.

Nissan has their own voluntary program for carseat fitment. Until the NHTSA program is refined to make it more realistic, it would be nice if other auto manufacturers voluntarily provided something like Nissan does.

I'm not really sure where you would address such complaints. Perhaps start here?

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Contact

5. Thank You from: