Boys who want "girl" colored seats

purplemama

I got a Sonata MR for DD2. I really wanted the purple one at BRU but I had a gift card to Kohls. It came on Tues. and when I took it out of the box DS2 fell in love with it. He spent the entire day begging me for it. I'm not sure if he actually likes the cover or the seat or just likes it because it's different. I installed it for him FF and he was so happy.
And then DH found out. He claims he doesn't care but is worried DS2 will get teased.
I'm not sure what to do. As of right now I have to put DD2 in the MR because she doesn't fit in the Euro DS2 was riding in yet. He's heartbroken over losing his pink seat.

I *REALLY* want to keep him in the pink MR, and get two purple MRs at BRU for my girls but DH is a bit resistant to that idea.

Has anyone had a boy ride in a "girly" seat and not have issues with being teased?

I hate the fact that it would be fine to put a girl in a blue seat but it seems so socially "taboo" to put a boy in a pink seat.

ADS

Phineasmama

My son has ridden in many a pink/purple seat :p Honestly there's nothing wrong with it, as long as you and DH don't make a big deal out of it I doubt anyone else will care either.

Or you could always order a purple cover for it from graco and sell the sonata one!

Mercuria

I don't have any experience with this specifically, but your son's personality may affect whether or not it even matters if he's teased. If a kid were to say something to him, and his reaction is "so what?" then I wouldn't have a problem with him being teased. If it would ruin his day (or worse), I'd be a bit more hesitant.

If I had been a boy and gotten teased about a pink seat, I would have gotten into a fist fight. If my brother had been in the same situation, he'd manage to make the bully feel like crap, and maybe even make the bully envy his seat.

I'm all for breaking gender roles and defying stereotypes, but I'm not sure what I'd do if your son were like me. I got into enough fights without extra reasons.

krasota

Once I gave my son a choice in seats, he's always chosen hot pink. He's secure in his pink love and doesn't care about other people. I personally hate pink, but it's his seat. I just have to wear sunglasses if I want to use my rearview mirror. :rolleyes:

vangelder03

my 4 yr old picked the pink frontier 85 and loves his new seat all the boys at preschool want his seat. not really my color but he loves it.

Shaunam

Pretty much the same thing happened here. We got a sonata my ride and DS loved it! I let him ride in it when DD wasn't using it. But he was too big to justify his own. When I was looking at turbos for him, he insisted on the girls rock pattern instead of the airplanes. I waited for them to go on sale and took him back to the store. He still insisted he wanted the pink seat and wanted nothing to do with the airplanes. So I bought it. His cousin once said something to him, but it wasn't malicious, he was just honestly confused as to why a boy would ride in a pink seat. DS simply said, "pink is for boys too!" And that was that. Eventually he no longer wanted the pink seat and I sold a $40 turbo for $20. No big deal. I think we used it for 2 years, from ages 4-6. He's much more in tune with social gender expectations now and while he still loves hello kitty and littlest pet shop, he's a little more reserved around his friends. He handles it very well when someone comments on something he has or does that is "girly" though.

purplemama

I really don't think my DS2 would be teased by anyone but DS1. No one really sees him in the van. I usually get them all out of their seats then open the door so it's just a seat there, no one would know it's his.
I'm not sure about the FF install though. :(

thtr4me

My 6yo specifically wanted a Flora (Spring) RXT for our truck. He has asked for a pink flowery seat at times too, although I don't do pink and purple so would not buy those colors for either gender.

laurengt

DS wants the flora/spring and plum covers for the radians and if I needed a new cover I would totally get those ones. We have covers that match our cars interior but I don't really care what color he rides in. He also plays with my little ponies and strawberry shortcake toys, along with his trains and trucks. I think kids should choose any color they like and not be swayed away because its a "boy" or "girl" color. Thankfully, DH is "evolved" and has the same frame of mind on the issue so we never conflict on the gender issues. Let your kid be a kid and make their own choices as to what they like.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
J rode in my purple RXT all summer and was upset when I sold it and had to put Shadow on.

I prefer red seats overall, but I have no issue with a boy using a pink seat.

scariestone

Unfortunately kids will always find something to tease other kids about. If it wasn't the color of his car seat, it would be the way he does his hair, the shirt he's wearing or the way he kicks a ball. I figure anything that makes a kid want to get into their seat instead of fighting it is a good thing. Pink and purple are my DS's favorite colors. I had planned to get him a purple monterey but I got a great deal on a red one from a member here. Purple is the color of royalty which is what you can tell his brother if he gives him a hard time. ;) Ancient Roman emperors and senators wore purple.

Kobain's Mommy

I don't think purple is a girl color.. Pink.. Maybe but purple is the color of the Vikings!!

http://www.vikings.com/

And that is why dh has no issues with ds and purple. He doesn't have a big issue with ds in pink either. Just makes a big deal around his dad since his dad seems to have issues with it. When I got the strawberry shake cover for my Cco I put it right on the seat... Dd wasn't even born yet. Got a lot of flack from dh's family but ds seemed to like it.

tam_shops

Not a CRS, but my ODS's favourite colour was pink until the middle of 4yo preschool. ALL he'd wear was 1 specific brown bear pink polo shirt. He had more than one...One day in 4yo preschool, a cranky girl I never liked anyway, came up to him and said something like, "Why are you wearing pink? Pink is for girls?" He then refused to wear that shirt to preschool. Then, refused to wear it at all. THEN pulled the purple car sticker off his wall.

We're Canadian, so have Anti-Bullying Day in February. The first year they did it at school, but who comments during circle time, w/ dissatisfaction that he was wearing the anti-bullying shirt, "pink is for girls".:eek: Thankfully the teacher knew the story and turned it around to how he had been bullied out of his favourite shirt...

Along comes YDS. His legs were too short for the 12" bike we'd had from ODS. A friend had a 10" Pink Princess one, that at 3yo, he could ride w/ out training wheels. I can not tell you how many *adults* commented on how my son was riding a pink princess bike. Adults I tell you! Some kids also did. Lucky for us, my YDS has limited hearing and either way, I still answered for him. This bike was *free* a friend gave it to us, he likes it, is 3yo and is riding w/ out training wheels. Is that a problem for YOU?

If the seat was your dd's I think fewer people will make comments, and the response I would have is, it was ODD and it was free, a new cover is $60, would you like to buy it if it's bothering you b/c he *likes* it?

As long as you have a good polite, child appropriate come back, I see no more problem w/ a boy riding in a pink seat than a girl riding in a blue. That's the cover you have and it's free, use it until the child has an issue with the North American gender biased colour requirements.

When he no longer wants to ride in a pink seat, I'd respect that and get a different colour or get a different seat.

tam

christineka

My second son's favorite color was pink for awhile. It's because it's a color he can see well, so my husband didn't put up too much of a fuss once ds was asking for pink stuff. He now likes green too and he likes his blue seat. (I love his blue seat and will keep it forever and ever- or at least the cover.)

Shaunam

I have a kind of funny story about Adrian's pink booster. I just remembered because of this thread. Anyway, when Charlie was about 2-3 we were still trying to get her healthy and we had a lot of people coming to the house all the time. Nurses, doctors, palliative care, etc. I had Adrian's booster sitting by the front door one day for some reason and whoever was there that day (I'm thinking it was a social worker or something) saw it as she was heading out and looked at the booster, looked at Charlie, looked back at the booster, then got a really puzzled expression on her face. She turned to me and said, "is that her car seat?" She was like, horrified I think. LOL When I told her no, it was Adrian's....the kid just likes pink, the look of relief that came over her was almost comical. I informed her Charlie was still safely rear facing in a harnessed seat. Its kind of annoying that people automatically assume pink=girls. But that day it was funny. I mean, my kid can't even hold her head up, let alone sit, and was maybe 20 lbs at the time. I'd have to be the dumbest person on earth to try and stick her in a booster. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC