Booster Recommendations

U

Unregistered

Looking for recommendations for a booster seat for my sons. One is 6 years old, 32 lbs and 38 inches. The other is 4.5 years old 43lbs, and 39 inches. Both are able to sit correctly 100% of the time. We need something that can easily be buckled in a 3 across situation. My youngest is in a Roundabout forward facing. I drive an 8 passenger 2011 Toyota Sienna and my husband drives a 2010 Chevy Silverado. My mom takes the boys sometimes and has a 2013 Honda Crossover so the seats need to work in her car.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How old and heavy is your youngest, and which Roundabout do you have? The 40, 50, or 55? How old is the Roundabout? I'm concerned that if it's from your oldest it's expired.

Generally harnesses are easier to do in a three across situation. That way you're not scraping knuckles getting seats buckled. Will all three kids be in your husband's and mother's cars? Or just two at a time?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

My youngest is 2. The roundabout was one of the last ones manufactured. It expires in Aug 2013 so we have a few months left.

Right now my husband has all 3 in his truck. My older two are in Graco Nautilus carseat. What I am finding out is that my oldest sits in the middle and does his own harness. A lot of the time the harness is twisted and not tight enough and my husband doesn't pay attention to have him correct it. When he has occassionally sat in a booster he can buckle himself and the strap is in the correct position and not twisted. For this reason he is more secure.

The issue that we are having with my youngest is that the harness straps are too short and we can barely get him buckled in the Nautilus. Not sure at this point I want to invest in a another harnessed carseat. My plan was to convert my older two to high back booster and move my youngest into the Graco Nautilus carseats when the roundabouts expire this summer.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At two I would encourage you to continue to rear face, though I'd imagine a little Roundabout is outgrown already. They were tiny. There are still Roundabouts being made, just now they're the 55, not the little 40 you have (and the 50 was around relatively briefly).

I agree that for a six year old a properly used booster is better than an improperly used harness. Can your six year old buckle the Nautilus in next to the Roundabout? If so, that's a pretty wide backseat and just about anything would fit.

If not, I'd look at the Graco Turbobooster, Clek Oobr, Evenflo Big Kid, Britax Parkway SG. They're all pretty narrow. They would fit the four year old properly as well, though I'm a bit nervous about a four year old in a booster full time. If his harness is done properly, I'd probably leave him for a while in the Nautilus.

I'd also just teach your six year old to buckle up properly. At six Piper could do up her Nautilus harness on her own and do it correctly. If your husband isn't good about it, see if your six year old is. Show them crash test videos so they understand the importance. That goes for boosters too, if necessary. I'll occasionally show Piper crash test videos again just to stress that this IS life or death.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

The issue that I am having with my 4.5 year old is that the harness straps are too short on the Nautilus and we are having issues with buckling him in. If the straps had more space I would keep him harnessed.

Carolinadaisy

How are the straps too short on the Nautilus? Is he wearing a coat or really heavy clothing? My 4.5 yr old DS rides in a Nautilus in my mom's car with no problem. He is at least 43" and close to 40 lbs with a long torso. He is on the top harness slot, but should have at least another year before he outgrows it. Try uninstalling the Nautilus and make sure the harness is routed correctly and isn't hung up somewhere.

D&L's-mommy

How are the straps too short on the Nautilus? Is he wearing a coat or really heavy clothing? My 4.5 yr old DS rides in a Nautilus in my mom's car with no problem. He is at least 43" and close to 40 lbs with a long torso. He is on the top harness slot, but should have at least another year before he outgrows it. Try uninstalling the Nautilus and make sure the harness is routed correctly and isn't hung up somewhere.

mine too,my 4.5yo is 43", 40lbs, long torso. She has about 1" of growing room in the nautilus harness. I would also make sure your seat belt isn't caught up in the harness under the pad, I know I have to pay extra attention when installing because of this

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC