WARNING: Death mentioned Tragic accident

MommyShannon

This is tragic and a 7 year old girl died. I was very surprised that the report shows she used a seatbelt but comments that she was not secured properly in a child protective seat. I'm in Arkansas and the law is only to 6 years. I hate what these parents are going through, but wish it could be used to educate others and prevent other tragedies. It made that local station, but these stories should be BIG news. Kids are being killed every day and it's just not big news. :(

http://www.asp.state.ar.us/fatal/index.php?do=view_reports&accident_number=490&year_rec=2012
http://nwahomepage.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=394012&nxd_90162_start=45

Another tragic one recently killed two children. A baby was listed as unrestrained. If somebody is abusive it makes bigger news, this doesn't lead to any kind of in depth story. Such a disservice to the poor children.

ADS

cookie123

What a tragic accident. PT & P to the family. I also wish these types of incidents received more media attention. I do believe it would raise awareness. Much more so than when you occasionally hear a statistic mentioned.

Phineasmama

It says she was charged with careless driving and failure to use a child restraint? How can they do that if the law is 6 for boostering?

MommyShannon

I was wondering that too. It often doesn't even mention carseats so that surprised me. On a different site it says 6 AND 60lbs for no seat instead of OR. The law must be AND.

poohbearkrazy

I can't believe I haven't heard about this before now. We travel this road everyday. It's only about a mile away from where I live :(. I'm really surprised that the Springdale Police actually fined her for not using a proper child restraint. I went to a seat check at the Springdale Police Dept about 4 years ago and the officer in charge of the car seat installations tried to tell me that my 5 year old no long needed a booster. Maybe they got rid of him and actually have someone who knows what they're doing now. That poor little girl :(

MomToEliEm

The law appears to be a child retraint is required while the child is under 60 lbs and under 6 years. If either of those conditions are false though, the child does not need a restraint. A 4 year old who who is 62 pounds would not need a booster and neither would a 6 year old 30 pound child.

If the law was written as "A child restraint is required for children under 60 pounds or 6 years," then a booster seat would be required until both conditions are met.

There must be more to this story.

I think with most news stories where a child restraint or booster would have helped, the issue isn't brought up out of respect for the parents. The parents have just lost a child and the last thing they want to hear from the news or police is that they might have been at fault for the death of their child. I wish more parents would come forward to help educate others on what could have saved their children's lives, but for now, most probably won't ever come forward since they just assume the crash was not survivable under any circumstance. This may be the case for some crashes, but there are many others which could have been prevented.

Baylor

The law appears to be a child retraint is required while the child is under 60 lbs and under 6 years. If either of those conditions are false though, the child does not need a restraint. A 4 year old who who is 62 pounds would not need a booster and neither would a 6 year old 30 pound child.

If the law was written as "A child restraint is required for children under 60 pounds or 6 years," then a booster seat would be required until both conditions are met.

There must be more to this story.

I think with most news stories where a child restraint or booster would have helped, the issue isn't brought up out of respect for the parents. The parents have just lost a child and the last thing they want to hear from the news or police is that they might have been at fault for the death of their child. I wish more parents would come forward to help educate others on what could have saved their children's lives, but for now, most probably won't ever come forward since they just assume the crash was not survivable under any circumstance. This may be the case for some crashes, but there are many others which could have been prevented.

That is scary. E could have been in a seat belt legally from just turning 4. UGH. When will the laws catch up with the best guidelines???!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC