Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Does it ever go away?

Does the booster nervousness ever go away? DD1 is 6 and has moved to a Graco Affix fulltime. The fit is excellent on her, she sits perfect in it and really "gets" staying in position, etc......but I still just feel like my baby is less safe. Even though I kow she is just as safe as she was harnessed. I want the seatbelt to be super tight like her harness was.....and that just isnt how it is. So, reassure me that I will get over these first time booster jitters!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Does it ever go away?

Yes. For me it went away learning as much as I could about booster safety and proper fit and that boostering after a certain age based on neck loads might be safer for them.

I know it is hard. When I look in the back and see two kids one in a lbb and my nearly 5 yr old in a hbb, I get a twinge too. But they sit well and have learned the rules well and I know they are safe.
    A five stepper and a booster rider

As me in a year or two.

DS, who is 7 but small, moved to a booster full time this past fall. I would still harness him for a long road trip at this point but that may just be my own paranoia.
    CPST and Mom to:
    DS 12/05 {60# and 55.5"}
    DD 6/08 {56# and 51.5"} in an Incognito

Carseat Crazy

It's gotten better but my DD still has the times of trying to get her brother over something that make me nervous.

I wasn't planning to buy the Frontier, but after the issue with the Monterey needed a headrest, I figured it was the best booster with leg support for her and I could pass it down to DS - so since I have the option, I do harness her for longer trips to help ease my mind sometimes.

But it was the same way for me with turning FF. It was so hard for me to do it when the seat limits were reached - but then I got used to it and it's fine.

Joy * DD Mar 2006 - Britax Parkway SGL/Evenflo Big Kid Sport LBB * DS Jul 2009 - Britax Frontier85/Graco Nautilus

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

I hadn't noticed, but yes, if finally has for me.

DD1 just turned 7 last month. She has been 100% boostered for about 6 months and boostered in my car for about a year and booster in MIL's for 1.5 years. She stays in position, knows not to un buckle, etc.

Hadn't even given it thought until you asked, so I would have to say that at some point I have stopped being nervous about her being in a booster. I am completely comfortable with it now.

DD was 6 when she stsrted riding in a hbb. She is 7.5 now and I am comfortable with boosters but not always her behavior in the booster. I put her back in a harness for a bit b/c she didn't sit right on gymnastics nights when she was tired and a little loopy. She's back in her booster now. I even let her ride in a lbb the other day to pick up two friends since I didn't have enough hbb and she wanted to all be the same. It fit great and she did well since it was such a novelty. I wasn't ok with the idea of that until really recently. These weren't "act crazy" together friends or I wouldn't have done it.
    ~Shannon
    DD (11.5) Seatbelt; DS (9) Incognito; DD2 (7) Britax Parkway; DD3 (4.5) Graco Nautilus