New 5pt Utube video by Kyle David Miller foundation

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Has anyone else seen it?
Kyle David Miller foundation 5pt video.

It's neat to see all those kids still harnessed and in some cases seeing so many seats in one vehicle. The one thing that disapointed me was the chest clips in the pics weren't always where they should've been :rolleyes:

ADS

lovinwaves

Dangit...That one made me cry too! :crying:

What an awesome Foundation!! That video gave me goosebumps. Their work is amazing and will hopefully continue to grow and grow. 200 seats is pretty amazing! Good Job guys! :thumbsup:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Their work is amazing and will hopefully continue to grow and grow. 200 seats is pretty amazing! Good Job guys! :thumbsup:

holy 'give away'.

That's fantastic that so many kids are getting helped!
:yeahthat: Isn't that great! How cool it would be to be able to give the seats and to teach how to use and install them :love:

I know they gave some seats to people in Canada and that some techs here were going to install them . . I wonder how that went?

On the other hand could you imagine being on the receiving end? I think that would be a neat feeling too. Some strangers caring enough to give and install a carseat for your child. Lets hope they keep using them correctly :thumbsup:

Splash

I still have a very bad taste in my mouth for these people. And it's disappointing to see sooo many of those seats so misused. Although there was one with a 2-3 year old kid RF, so that's awesome! But it was a bit annoying to see one kid who was AT the top slots in a Regent (as in, will outgrow that seats in months if she hasn't already), so that seat given to her would have provided much more use given to a smaller child (of course, she could have a younger sibling to pass it to), as well as SMALL children in Regents... I mean, kids WAY under 40 pounds. I know they push "harness forever" but it seems like the money would be better used harnessing kids that NEED seats over 40 pounds. And goodness STOP with the Radian 80s! It's such a waste of money for the purpose they are going for!

Oh well. It's great that they are giving away seats... but it's not THEM giving them away, it's other people giving them money to buy them with, and that money just seems to be going to waste when they could get the same seat for a hundred bucks less, or give HWH seats to kids that NEED them, not kids that could RF in a $40 Scenera for another 2 years.

Paperdragon

I still have a very bad taste in my mouth for these people. And it's disappointing to see sooo many of those seats so misused. Although there was one with a 2-3 year old kid RF, so that's awesome! But it was a bit annoying to see one kid who was AT the top slots in a Regent (as in, will outgrow that seats in months if she hasn't already), so that seat given to her would have provided much more use given to a smaller child (of course, she could have a younger sibling to pass it to), as well as SMALL children in Regents... I mean, kids WAY under 40 pounds. I know they push "harness forever" but it seems like the money would be better used harnessing kids that NEED seats over 40 pounds. And goodness STOP with the Radian 80s! It's such a waste of money for the purpose they are going for!

Oh well. It's great that they are giving away seats... but it's not THEM giving them away, it's other people giving them money to buy them with, and that money just seems to be going to waste when they could get the same seat for a hundred bucks less, or give HWH seats to kids that NEED them, not kids that could RF in a $40 Scenera for another 2 years.

I think it's really hard to judge a kid's weight by a picture. I've worked with children for years and have two of my own. I've seen kids short enough to still use the bottom slots on the Regent who weigh over 50 lbs or under 25lbs. Bone and muscle are heavier than fat, so until they get on a scale, it's really not possible to tell. As for the almost-too-big kids, like you said, there may be a younger sib to pass the Regent onto. And you never know about the Radian 80. Maybe the company gave them a better deal than on the -65, so maybe for them, it was cheaper to get the 80.

In the end, their work has supplied 200 children with extended harness option they wouldn't have had otherwise. And convinced countless other parents who were able to purchase their own 5 point harness seats. I think the world is a better place for our children because of that.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Nice. I only saw one case of ERF, you'd think with all these 33 pound RFing seats they're giving away they'd put some of the little ones back RFing. Overall, with the exception of the belly clips and loose harnesses (and the girl being fitted for her Regent her in winter coat) it was good. I was ok until the end when they said they missed him.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A lady on my local mommies board is getting two Radians from them. I told her they could be tricky and to make sure that she knew how to install them (EMS is installing them). She said that if her learning meant watching them, then yes she was going to learn. ARGH! I think I got it into her head that no, that's not ok, and if they do that then she's to come to me and I'll teach her how to do it. I would never give a parent two Radians, install them and then send them on their way. I don't know that I'd give any parent any seat and then send them along, nevermind two Radians.

Wendy

ZephyrBlue

We call our 2.5yo DS "Bubby", too. :( My heart aches for the family of Kyle David Miller. I simply cannot fathom losing one of my 3 kids.

I did see lots of kids in that video who seemed just about too big for the seats given to them, ESPECIALLY the Radians. On one hand, I think it's great to have older kids harnessed, for however long they can be, but I can't help but agree with Splash on the notion that those seats could have probably been put to better use with smaller children. However, I recently bought a Regent for my 7yo, even though I have no idea how long she will fit in it. One split second on any given day is the time when she may need it, and it's worth it to have her harnessed for however long she can stay that way. Glad I don't have to make any decisions on who gets a seat. That must be really difficult, when there are so many people in need.

Connor's Mom

Glad I don't have to make any decisions on who gets a seat. That must be really difficult, when there are so many people in need.

AMEN!

That one made me cry too.
But I also am one of those people that have mixed feelings about the group much for the same reasons as Splash.

tjham

I wish they had two versions. I would like to send it to someone, but for the info about EH, not to make her think I want her to donate.

EzzieMom

The original video from Kyle's mom is the reason I got my 5 yr. old Dd back into a 5 point harness;) I watched the video and cried and cried, for days:crying:. Then I bought a Radian65. She was in a backless booster before that.
I'm so happy with what they are doing:thumbsup:
But...I also agree with Splash. Some of those kids looked like they were going to outgrow their seats very soon:(. That seat could have gone to a kid that would get a lot more use out of it. But like someone said, you never know when something will happen.
Some of those smaller kids looked like they could still be rfing. It's weird that they promote EH but not ERFing??
When I spoke to one of the people from the foundation she wanted my DD#2 rfing again (we flipped her to rfing again). I wonder why they didn't say something to these other moms and dads. Or maybe they did and they just refused to put them back to rfing again??
But I must say, the foundation is awesome:love:. Great people that really love kids. The women I spoke to was so nice and helped me so much. If I hadn't seen the original video, my DD would still be in a backless booster and not as safe as she is now.
P.S. Thanks for sharing this. I'm passing it along to everyone I know. Made me cry!

doriansmummy

I can almost speak first hand.
My friends kids got 2 seats from the KDM foundation. Her 6 year old son got a Regent and her 2 year old daughter got a Evenflo Titan... they were both in the video!
They both fit really well in them. The moms only complaint was she was hoping for a seat for her 2 year old to ride RF for a bit longer as she had to FF in the Titan. The 2 year old will use the Regent when her brother outgrows it though so thats great!:thumbsup:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
How do they choice who qualifies for a free seat & who doesn't? Or is it anyone that asks will go on the waiting list?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
How do they choice who qualifies for a free seat & who doesn't? Or is it anyone that asks will go on the waiting list?

From what I've seen, it almost seems where everyone who applies gets a seat which seems assanine to me. There are I'm sure people who apply who could very easily pay for their own seat, but choose to go the 'free' route. There are also older children who don't need the seats like some 3 and 4yos that apply who are 40+#. I think every parent should be able to harness their children past 40# if they want, but in a situation like this where they are giving out seats, I feel it really should go to parents who cannot truly afford hwh seats and whose children really need them.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
From the website.

We recognize that although no price should be put on our children's safety, there are circumstances beyond our control whereby the purchase of 5-point harness car seats is beyond many families financial capabilities. This is where we would like to help and make a difference - where Kyle and our love for him will make a difference. If you are a family in need of a car seat and it is out of your financial capabilities to purchase one, whether it be for one child, or you can perhaps afford one, but not another for your other child, we want to hear from you and we want to help you. Please write to us using the form below providing as much detail about your circumstances as you possibly can - information about your financial circumstances is obviously vital here to help us make sure we are making the correct determination on how we can assist our applicants. We would like to learn about your family and hope that through Kyle's love, we become one bigger and safer family under his watchful and loving gaze. We will take all information you provide into consideration. If you are successfully chosen to receive a car seat from the foundation, we will make arrangements for a car seat to be delivered to your nearest car seat safety inspection station where you will be able to get a free and correct installation of your car seat. You will be required to show proper identification to receive and have your car seat installed in your vehicle.

Unfortunately, the applications we have received heavily outweigh our funding capacity at this time. This has necessitated us in making the very hard decision of focusing our efforts at supplying car seats to children who are either too big for a 40lbs 5-point harness car seat, or about to outgrow one. We made this decision also as there are other programs available which supply 5-point harness car seats.

If your child is under 40lbs please go to SeatCheck.org and input your zip code. This will give you a list of the nearest car seat safety inspection stations. Please call them and make inquiries about their programs to supply 5-point harness car seat that are good to 40lbs for them. If you do not manage to locate a local program, please do contact us to let us know and we will assist you in locating one.

Further to this, we are currently only accepting applications from families who are receiving some form of financial aid - WIC, unemployment etc. Please be prepared to provide a letter written on official headed paper showing your current status of receiving financial aid. Many thanks for both your interest in the foundation and your application

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC