Tether situation

tl01

My carpool's seat is currently installed in the center of my third row. From there it blocks my rear view quite a bit which I don't like because it hampers my vision for changing lanes. I don't have any other tether points in the third row but need a spot for him. He's 2.75 years old and about 34 lbs. Mom wants him forward facing. She is well informed about rear facing etc. Would you put him ffing in a spot without a tether for the few times he rides in the car a week? I'm not going to install and uninstall the seat each time as often there are last minute trips where I need to drive him. Also, putting other passengers in the 3rd row will be much easier if he can be outboard. If you would consider this.. With which seat would you permit it? Currently he is in an ra 55 but I have many seats including a radian rxt. Mom is fine with him outboard but I'm on the fence.

ADS

tl01

I wouldn't.

My trade off is worse driving all the time including when he's in the car. I can't see appropriately to make lane changes to the right with a seat there. Installing and uninstalling the seat won't work with the schedules... And if I don't drive him then he can't go to preschool since his mom works and his grandma can barely drive... And IMHO... The seat would be worse off in her particular car.

canadiangie

Do you think a radian would be lower? Tfp? I feel like they would both be similar. She has my radian and tfp right now... But I could get them back.

Well I'm not sure. But in your situation I would be trying lower profile seats to see if it makes a difference.

Safety 1st Guide 65 is a shorty.

I've never met a Cocorro in my life, no idea if a 2.75 yo would fit, but that has to be a shorty pants seat ff, no?

A Scenera?

Yeah, I'd try some shorter seats.

And obviously I'm not able to drive with a ff seat untethered, so my opinion is almost irrelevant. :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I bet RF it wouldn't block your view due to it being angled towards you...would mom listen to "increased head excursion and potential head injuries or safe RF"? :whistle:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd either try to convince her to let him RF, or move your kid RF third row and put him second, or try a lower seat... I'd try almost anything before not tethering, even in a new Britax.

minismom

I remember reading here many times that the radian has the best numbers for head excursion without a tether. Whatever best number means.
But I would tell the mom that ff blocks your view and you have no other choice but to RF. If she really needs you to drive her kid she shouldn't really be picky. She's lucky she has someone who cares!

tl01

I'd either try to convince her to let him RF, or move your kid RF third row and put him second, or try a lower seat... I'd try almost anything before not tethering, even in a new Britax.

I don't have a RFing kid anymore. We gave up bc of the constant vomiting. We have done trials of ffing and rfing. It seems to make a difference.

I will try to find a lower seat. I just sold my cco... And would love something with more time in it since this he might be riding with us for a while.

tl01

I remember reading here many times that the radian has the best numbers for head excursion without a tether. Whatever best number means.
But I would tell the mom that ff blocks your view and you have no other choice but to RF. If she really needs you to drive her kid she shouldn't really be picky. She's lucky she has someone who cares!

That's why I was thinking radian... But I'll try to find a shorter seat first..

Hey! How are you btw!?

tl01

I bet RF it wouldn't block your view due to it being angled towards you...would mom listen to "increased head excursion and potential head injuries or safe RF"? :whistle:

Rfing it isn't an issue because I can put it outboard. She rear faced him till now and is pretty bothered by it continuing longer. She can recite all the reasons why rfing is better....

tl01

Well I'm not sure. But in your situation I would be trying lower profile seats to see if it makes a difference.

Safety 1st Guide 65 is a shorty.

I've never met a Cocorro in my life, no idea if a 2.75 yo would fit, but that has to be a shorty pants seat ff, no?

A Scenera?

Yeah, I'd try some shorter seats.

And obviously I'm not able to drive with a ff seat untethered, so my opinion is almost irrelevant. :)

I'll try and find a Guide at my Walmart. Guess I need to look at seats the opposite if what I usually look for. My kids have long torsos so short seats are usually useless;).

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Rfing it isn't an issue because I can put it outboard. She rear faced him till now and is pretty bothered by it continuing longer. She can recite all the reasons why rfing is better....

If she know it's safer, then I don't get why she'd be bothered by it continuing in your vehicle where she's not there to be bothered by it. She sounds like an odd duck. :p

(And no need to explain her attitude to me. I was just musing over the blatant refusal of something she claims to understand.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you end up deciding to do it anyway, I'd choose the new Britax over the Radian for FF untethered. The SafeCell technology IS impressive, and they showed videos with lines they said were the tethered and untethered head excursion limits and showed that the dummy came in under the tethered limit, untethered. Now, it was even BETTER with the tether. So a tether is still better. And the other numbers were better with a tether too- their tether has a load-limiting device. But, if I HAD to use a FF seat untethered, and I had a new Britax, and a kid that fit in it, that's probably what I'd go with.

minismom

If you end up deciding to do it anyway, I'd choose the new Britax over the Radian for FF untethered. The SafeCell technology IS impressive, and they showed videos with lines they said were the tethered and untethered head excursion limits and showed that the dummy came in under the tethered limit, untethered. Now, it was even BETTER with the tether. So a tether is still better. And the other numbers were better with a tether too- their tether has a load-limiting device. But, if I HAD to use a FF seat untethered, and I had a new Britax, and a kid that fit in it, that's probably what I'd go with.

That's really good to know! Very impressive!!

Ps congrats on the baby, hope you're doing well!! I'm dying to know what seats your girls are using now, especially on the Ody! Will you pm me if you have a chance? I don't want to high jack the thread!

minismom

That's why I was thinking radian... But I'll try to find a shorter seat first..

Hey! How are you btw!?

I'm good! Can't believe how big our kids are now! Btw dd was a "vomiter" too, it was very annoying. But 2yo was the peak of it, and it really got less and less frequent, like only on really windy roads, especially with sitting more upright and she ended up rf until 4.5. That being said she has only vomited twice in a year and a half of ff so it does seem to make a difference.

rachelandtyke

I'd try the Radian or TFP in the center and see if it makes a difference before buying something new. I had DD in her TF in my 3rd row and if she had a friend with us, friend would be in the EFTA or Blvd and it made a huge difference in how much I could see. Even though the TF had a taller shell, the fact that it sat so low made a huge difference.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC