Compass B500 booster seat

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Vehicle belts are designed to fit an average 160 lbs. man, not your average 4-10 year old child. That’s why we have booster seats. A booster seat raises the child up so that the lap portion of the lap/shoulder belt falls across the bony hips, not the soft, easily injured abdomen. High back boosters, like the <b>Compass B500</b>, have headrests with shoulder belt guides to keep the shoulder belt off the child’s neck. Booster seats should <i>always</i> be used with a lap/shoulder seat belt.

<b>Who should use this seat?</b>

Compass recommends this seat for children who are about 3-10 years old, weigh 30-100 lbs., and are between 38” and 57” tall.

Choosing which seat to use should be based on many factors, including the way the seat fits in your vehicle, how the child fits in the seat, and, in the case of a booster, the maturity of the child. Because boosters allow more freedom of movement, the child must have the maturity to sit correctly in the seat without wiggling out of the seat belt or slouching over. Only you can determine if your child is mature enough, but we generally see this maturity around age 4. Also, a child under 40 lbs. is best protected by a seat with a 5-point harness. If you believe your over-40 lb. child is not mature enough for a booster, please click the link for “Niche Seats” at http://www.carseatsite.com/recommended_car_seats.htm to see your options.

<b>Features</b>

This booster seat is feature-heavy. There is EPS foam in the headrest. EPS foam is the foam that’s in bicycle helmets. It has cup holders that rotate out on either side of the base. The armrests flip up for easy in/out and buckling. The <b>Compass</b> folds for easier transportation of the seat through airports, though the handle built in to the front of the headrest doesn’t go all the way through to the back. The seat is wider than many boosters, which can help accommodate a larger child more comfortably, yet it still can fit easily into a narrow center back seat position.

The instruction manual isn’t often referred to as a feature of a seat, since all manufacturers must have them, but this one is exceptional. It is clear and concise and includes a list of safe practices—it goes above and beyond a standard car seat manual.

The warranty on the seat is also a valued feature. If you are in a crash of any type, Compass will replace the booster free of charge.

<b>Cover and padding</b>

There are currently two covers available for the <b>Compass</b>: a nylon navy blue and a suede-like black with nylon gold trim. The cover contains ample padding which makes this booster one of the most well-padded on the market. The cover snaps onto the booster, which makes for easy removal for cleaning, and is machine washable.

<b>Installation and use</b>

Boosters are very easy to use: just plop them on the seat and buckle the child into the vehicle belt. The <b>Compass</b> is no different; however there are some things to remember. When buckling a child into the <b>Compass</b>, the shoulder belt must be routed through the open-loop design shoulder belt guide. This is easily done just by sliding the belt under the guide. The open-loop design means that the shoulder belt won’t get caught on it if the child leans forward; in the <b>Compass</b>, the shoulder belt will remain snug on the child. The lap belt should fit snugly over the child’s hips. Having the flip-up armrests makes buckling a child into this seat much easier.

The back of the <b>Compass</b> should be adjusted so that the shoulder belt guides are slightly above the child’s shoulders. To adjust the height of the back, simply push in on the yellow handles and lift up. There are six height adjustments from which to choose. The highest setting is 29”. When I was choosing a booster seat with EPS foam, I had two other seats to compare the <b>Compass</b> to: the Britax BodyGuard and the Graco TurboBooster. Both are fine boosters and taller than the <b>Compass</b>; however, by my guestimate, the <b>Compass</b> was only about an inch shorter than the TurboBooster. At this point, the flip-up armrests are more important to us than that extra inch.

One minor glitch I have found with the shoulder belt guides happens when the shoulder belt is farther forward than the seat itself. In this case, the shoulder belt must come backwards to go through the shoulder belt guide. The shoulder belt doesn’t get caught on the guide, but there is friction against the yellow height adjuster handle.

One major downside to the seat is that the back isn’t removable. I understand that the seat folds in half to make it easier to transport through an airport, but the bulk of the seat makes me less likely to want to take it. The box the <b>Compass</b> comes in is designed to be used to protect the seat while it’s in storage or the luggage compartment of an airplane.

So far, my son is really enjoying his new <b>Compass B500</b> and is learning to sit properly in it. I like it for its ease-of-use. Don’t forget that booster use is very important until a child fits in the vehicle belt. Here’s a wonderful 5-step test from SafetyBeltSafe USA, http://www.carseat.org , to determine if your child is large enough to fit a vehicle belt alone without a booster:

1. Can the child sit with his bum all the way back against the vehicle seat?
2. Do the child’s knees bend easily at the edge of the vehicle seat?
3. Does the shoulder belt fit across the collarbone and not the child’s neck?
4. Is the lap belt low over the child’s hips?
5. Is the child able to stay like this for the entire trip?

If you answered “no” to any of the above questions, your child still needs a booster.

This review may be found at epinions.com: http://www.epinions.com/content_149762838148

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Not sure what the changes are between the B500 & B510, but we are loving the B510! The belt fits Leila great in this booster -- better than compared to either of our spare backless boosters (Starriser Comfy, Prospect/Cubb) + even better than I remember her fitting in the Parkway.... It has been quite sturdy/upright in all the vehicles I've tried so far (Freestar, Prius, Highlander, Corolla, Aztec, F250) whereas the Parkway tended to tilt a bit in the center positions.

trailrunnermom

We have the Compass B505 booster (color: "True Blue") for use in our second car for our 5.5 y.o. son (50 lbs, 47" tall). His opinion is that the Compass booster is more comfortable than the Graco Turbo Booster. :)

I like the fact that it's easy to move from car to car (we also use it in my sister's car and for preschool fieldtrips) because it has a handle at the top, and it doesn't fall apart like the Turbo Booster does when you carry it (the base and back of the TB separate easily if not carried carefully). Other nice features are the flip-up armrests, level cupholders, easy height adjustment, and it's easy to thread the seatbelt through.

The B510 sounds even better...the headwings are a bit deeper, and I think it adjusts a bit taller. Plus it comes in cool patterns like Giraffe (see pic in previous post--what a great print!) and Camo. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC