Question What's up with all the buckle issues?

MamaErin

Are all the Graco buckle issues I am hearing about only on certain models or certain DOM seats? The threads about problems seem to be popping up more and more...I have a MR and haven't had any issues with unbuckling... does this only start to happen after a while of use or what? I love my seat and it's new but the thought of my kid potentially getting stuck in his seat is a bit scary.

ADS

jjordan

Graco changed the buckle they use somewhat recently. AFAIK it's just the newer ones that people are having issues with; yours might be older than that. I'll see if I can dig up a thread that I'm thinking of that might help...

ETA: Here is the thread I was thinking of.

MamaErin

I saw that they changed them, my seat it new, I just bought it for my son like 2 months ago so it definitely has the new style buckle. We had a snugride for him with the new buckle too and had no issues either. I am just worried if this is a "after extensive use" kind of thing...I don't want to think everything is fine with ours and then randomly one day my kid is stuck. I know a lot of people have said their buckles are a little sticky though to begin with and then get stuck one day, mine has never even been sticky at all.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
And yes, it seems to be a ”one day it's fine, next day it's not” thing for lots of people. If it ever happens to you please report it to NHTSA as well as Graco...

xxluckychicxx

Ours was one that was fine one day, and completely stuck the next. Even 4 year old DD could buckle and unbuckle it. We never had any issues. Then all of a sudden one day it just wouldn't unbuckle. It's happened twice, and now almost every time its a struggle to get her out.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
No, it's not just the new buckles. My October 2009 DOM MyRides did this. Would work and work for months, then stick. And it would take 30 mins sometimes to get it unbuckled. Then once unbuckled it would work again for weeks or months.

Baylor

I have 2 GN's one from 2008 and one from 2010 with the old buckle style. I have never had an issue with either one of them. I replaced the one on the 2008 in 2010 when I wanted to reharness ds1 and could not find the buckle part.

I feel bad for people having issues. I love the GN, having a bad buckle would ruin it for me.

MamaErin

I guess it is just a luck of draw type thing because we still have no issues with our MR and never had issues with the snugride but I was looking at seats at Target the other day and since I have never had anything other than Graco seats (and 1 AOE that wasn't used for long but I hated) I decided to try the buckles on the display seats...the myride70 and the nauti they had on display were both horrible! I hurt my thumb just trying the nauti. I tried the RA50, I have never even touched a Britax seat....sooo easy! I never knew there could be such a difference in buckle use, I guess I was just use to my Graco seats! Now I will have to be sure to check buckles if I ever buy another seat.

felix128

I just had this happen to me last night with our Graco Argos.

My daughter was stuck in the seat for almost 10 minutes as I tried to free her. I almost went to get scissors to cut her out. It would not have been as bad except it was (-4) out. Brrr.

I contacted Graco and they said they would send out a new clip, however I am not sure I feel safe putting her back in this seat. If it failed once who's to say it won't fail again? What if it breaks during an accident?

Ozella21

I just got my new buckle from Graco, it is a different patient number than the original sticking buckle. I am sending the broken one to the link above. The Broken one has a patient number A 2005. The new on is different, it is C2272.

felix128

Brianna,

I do have a couple backup convertible seats to choose from. This one is for my car which we do not use that often.

Yeah the unthreading thing came to me after the fact. In the moment when it was freezing all I could think of was cut the straps. I couldn't seem to squeeze her out with the clip buckled.

ETA*

Graco is sending me a prepaid fedex label to return the carseat for a refund.

Last edited:

stephpook

I had trouble releasing the buckle on my daughter's My Ride yesterday for the first time in the 15 months I've owned it (purchased October 2011). It happened all 3 times I took her out of the seat. It's always been kind of a pain to unbuckle, but this was definitely different (the release button didn't want to push down at all). Thankfully I was still able to get it unbuckled fairly quickly, but with all of the issues people have been having with the Graco buckles, I'm kind of freaked out. Do I need to be concerned that this is going to continue/get worse? Thanks!

MamaErin

I had trouble releasing the buckle on my daughter's My Ride yesterday for the first time in the 15 months I've owned it (purchased October 2011). It happened all 3 times I took her out of the seat. It's always been kind of a pain to unbuckle, but this was definitely different (the release button didn't want to push down at all). Thankfully I was still able to get it unbuckled fairly quickly, but with all of the issues people have been having with the Graco buckles, I'm kind of freaked out. Do I need to be concerned that this is going to continue/get worse? Thanks!

That is exactly my concern. We have had ours for about 2-3 months now and never had an issue but I am worried it will just happen one days...its a scary thought but I love the seat and so does my son. The main thing I have been seeing people say is if you do have a problem, report it to NHTSA. If enough people report the problem, they may issue a recall on the buckles and send new one's or new seats. I just keep hoping there will be a recall soon and I can get a different buckle or something before I come across this issue with mine. I really don't want another seat and can't afford one but I think if my son ever does get stuck even once, I would be too afraid to put him back in it.

stephpook

That is exactly my concern. We have had ours for about 2-3 months now and never had an issue but I am worried it will just happen one days...its a scary thought but I love the seat and so does my son. The main thing I have been seeing people say is if you do have a problem, report it to NHTSA. If enough people report the problem, they may issue a recall on the buckles and send new one's or new seats. I just keep hoping there will be a recall soon and I can get a different buckle or something before I come across this issue with mine. I really don't want another seat and can't afford one but I think if my son ever does get stuck even once, I would be too afraid to put him back in it.

See, I'm not sure I want to report it until I know for sure that's what's happening. I went out this morning and played with it a little bit. The release button didn't want to push down at first - same as yesterday - until I blew into the buckle a couple times. Then it buckled and unbuckled just fine. I don't know if there was debris in there or if it has something to do with the cold and my breath warmed it up. I'll keep using it for now and see if it happens again, and if it does, whether blowing into the buckle helps.

mominabigtruck

I was at target today playing with the headwise and I couldn't unbuckle the display model. Granted, I do wear fake nails but they're not super long and they're more durable than most because I always get extra acrylic put on.

And really, am I the only mom who has long nails?

jess71903

Ambassador
See, I'm not sure I want to report it until I know for sure that's what's happening. I went out this morning and played with it a little bit. The release button didn't want to push down at first - same as yesterday - until I blew into the buckle a couple times. Then it buckled and unbuckled just fine. I don't know if there was debris in there or if it has something to do with the cold and my breath warmed it up. I'll keep using it for now and see if it happens again, and if it does, whether blowing into the buckle helps.

It's just like the old Nintendo cartridges! :D

stephpook

It's just like the old Nintendo cartridges! :D

Ha ha! My husband said the same thing. :p

Just an update for anyone who might be following - I couldn't get the buckle to release this evening after several minutes of both my husband and I trying, so I gave up, loosened the harness straps, and took my daughter out of the seat that way.

The seat is now uninstalled and she'll ride in our spare Scenera until I can figure out what to replace it with. I did get it unbuckled once it was in the house using a plastic mixing spoon. Blowing into the buckle helped some after I got it to release, but you can still feel it resisting when you push on it. I'll be contacting NHTSA now too. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC