• Harness

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • Booster

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Clickey box

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

glockchick

Child is 4 years 11 months old and 40 lbs. Assume normal tone and the self control of a typical almost 5 year old boy. :p

ADS

tiggercat

It would really depend on the child for me. Ideally, I'd harness another 5lb or so. Also depends if it means you need to buy a new seat to keep harnessing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

zactayaus

If it was me I'd harness but I tend to like to keep my kids in harnesses longer then most I guess. My oldest (now 22yo) was harnessed till he was 6yo and in the 1st grade. My middle two (now 14 and 9yo) were both harnessed to 7 1/2yo. I plan on keeping my youngest harnessed to 6 or 7yo as well.:)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I prefer kids not be boostered full time until 5.5-7, a typical range for really being able to sit properly all the time, even when tired, etc. But my answer does depend some on feasibility- is a harness that fits already owned? Etc.

Baylor

If I had a seat to harness, I would use it most of the time and start booster process. If you need a new seat, I would buy a hbb for full time use. I would not buy a new harnessed seat for an almost 5 yr old.

hrice

Harness. I'm a harness forever kind of gal though.

I agree with KetchupQueen. 5.5 is the very earliest I'm ok with boostering. 7 is more in my comfort zone for full time.

Phineasmama

DD1 was definitely not ready for full time at that age. I was just beginning to train her, and she wouldn't sit still for any length of time. She's turning 6 in two weeks and is now boostered full time, but there has been a huge change in the past year.

gsdguenter

I'd say harness unless all the have is a booster. When you say typical almost 5 yr old boy, that leads me to believe wiggly and impulsive.

glockchick

I already have seats for either. In fact, I have 2 FR 85s and 2 BLVD 70s so I can harness both him and Kaleigh in both vehicles I have. He has 2 clicks left on the BLVDs so it'll be a while before he outgrows them.

The main reason to booster is that he's boostered full time with his dad so he fights me about sitting in a "baby" seat. I know, bad reason. If I keep his 6 1/2 year old sister harnessed as well, he doesn't fight as much, but if she's in a booster than he thinks he should be too.

Obviously, I'm not really comfortable with boostering him (or his sister really, she has the impulse control of a gnat). But I keep thinking maybe I should booster them with me on shorter trips and keep reminding them to sit right and maybe that will carry over to when they're with dad and they'll be safer in his car. He has them 1/2 the time.

Then again, watching them like a hawk and driving at the same time isn't the easiest thing and distracts me from the road a lot.

tiggercat

I already have seats for either. In fact, I have 2 FR 85s and 2 BLVD 70s so I can harness both him and Kaleigh in both vehicles I have. He has 2 clicks left on the BLVDs so it'll be a while before he outgrows them.

The main reason to booster is that he's boostered full time with his dad so he fights me about sitting in a "baby" seat. I know, bad reason. If I keep his 6 1/2 year old sister harnessed as well, he doesn't fight as much, but if she's in a booster than he thinks he should be too.

Obviously, I'm not really comfortable with boostering him (or his sister really, she has the impulse control of a gnat). But I keep thinking maybe I should booster them with me on shorter trips and keep reminding them to sit right and maybe that will carry over to when they're with dad and they'll be safer in his car. He has them 1/2 the time.

Then again, watching them like a hawk and driving at the same time isn't the easiest thing and distracts me from the road a lot.

Ah, now I understand. Similar situations in my home (though not CRS related, usually).
I think I would still keep them harnessed most of the time, with some occasional practice runs where you can reinforce good booster riding.
While I get the idea of trying to booster train them so they do better with him, I think reducing their safety 50% of the time with you in the hopes that it will improve behaviour with him (when he isn't going to be reinforcing it directly) isn't really a great trade off.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

MommyShannon

I like the animations in this video for showing the difference in crashes without being too disturbing for kids. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhLDyAmZbPU&sns=em"]Keeping children safe in crashes: Booster seats - YouTube[/ame]
Maybe it would help show them why its important. Just don't let them see its for 4-8 year olds.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My twins are 5yrs and 7mo. One is boostered. And one is harnessed. I tried boostering them both and needless to say, one got a brand spankin new seat yesterday. He's happy as a clam. And much safer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC