Question Installation with seat belt and LATCH

mlohry

I know this is an unsafe practice and forbidden, but a friend told me today that she was doing it to keep the seat "really tight." Is it not ok just because the 2 may get in the way of each other not allowing the seat to be tight or is there other reasons, just wanted a good explanation.

ADS

Baylor

I was told once because it was not tested that way.
Maybe send her here.. But there may be a thread about it. It is meant to use either or. I swear there was one seat where it was okay though?? Or am I losing it more than I thought????

ETA: Found this

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=8385

ETAA: From Wendy
"Because it's not been tested that way, or it's been tested and failed. None of us are willing to turn our kids into crash test dummies to see how it works. It may be the best thing ever. Since every single carseat manufacturer says don't do it, though, I have to guess they've tested it and it's not worked as well.

It may be like two outfielders. Each system is tested to take crash forces. But if you put them together you've got two ballplayers running toward the ball. In the end the ball ends up on the grass and your ballplayers have black eyes from slamming into each other. LATCH is supposed to stretch up to 20% in a collision. So is the seatbelt. If neither has the full crash put on it, neither may stretch. And now those crash forces, instead of being absorbed by the LATCH strap or seatbelt, need to go elsewhere. And the only elsewhere to go is into the seat where your child is sitting, magnifying crash forces and possibly causing more injury to the child in the seat.
"

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=99413

Keeanh

If "it wasn't tested that way" isn't enough, then maybe point out that seatbelts are designed to stretch a certain amount. By doubling up with a LATCH strap, the install might be TOO solid and the child would be subjected to greater forces.

If she HAD to bungee jump, would she rather jump with the proper stretchy rope tested for her weight? Or would she ask for 2 or 3 of them together? I think common sense would tell her that 2 together wouldn't stretch enough and she'd likely be injured or killed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC