Question No back boosters in car with no side air bags

mlohry

So I drove our 2001 Alero for years with no qualms about it, both my boys came home from
the hospital in it. When DD was about to be born we bought a used 05 Ody in 2008 and since then it's been the vehicle I drive 90% of the time and the deal since the boys went into no back boosters was the kids ride in the van only. Well activities have come up starting this week that we need to have boys in 1 place at the same time as DD, so we need to divide up kids. Tonight DD rode with me in the van since her seat is installed in the van and DH took boys in the car with their no back boosters. They only have to go about 3 miles 1 way, no dangerous intersections, only lived her 4 months, but have never seen an accident. I just feel a little bad that they aren't protected on the side with the no back boosters, but I honestly don't think I'm concerned enough to buy high backs, partly because the oldest is getting really tall and there are only a couple he would even fit into. Even DS2 is too tall for all the "cheap" boosters. So I guess I just have to know it's a short trip, pretty slow speeds and they will be fine.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Statistically, there's no evidence that high backs are safer, so hopefully that helps you feel better, too. (I've been driving the same curtain-less van for 10 years, and my 'omg my kids must be in high backs till 5 ft tall' rule has faded a little, I'm glad statistics are on my side, because I have to pay for private school instead of a new van :p:rolleyes:).

mlohry

Statistically, there's no evidence that high backs are safer, so hopefully that helps you feel better, too. (I've been driving the same curtain-less van for 10 years, and my 'omg my kids must be in high backs till 5 ft tall' rule has faded a little, I'm glad statistics are on my side, because I have to pay for private school instead of a new van :p:rolleyes:).

I must be outta rep, but thanks for that. It's such a short drive infrequently that it will just have to be ok. Especially knowing I'd have to spend a good $300 bucks to get them seats that are tall enough to keep them maybe more protected. When we replace that car...someday...I'll make sure it has more safety features.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You can only do what you can do. When I was heavily pregnant this last time we had seats in my mom's Nissan Sentra for my older girls- a Radian center and boosters outboard. Problem being, EVERY time my mom was the one to buckle the girls in their boosters I'd find them buckled wrong. One day my back hurt and I couldn't carry high backs out without massive pain so I put them in backless-and she did it right. After that I sent backlesses with them, because it was too tight for the kids to buckle themselves and even in a crappy small car with no side airbags I figured they had a better chance surviving in a properly used backless than an improperly used high-back, SIP or no.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC