Question Why didn't you tell me how glorious FF is?!

mlohry

Kind of just kidding, but we made the big decision to FF DD who is 47 months. I have traded, bought, sold way too many seats to keep her RF to this point. When I look back I wonder what I was thinking?! We own a MA70, but although she has a bit of room head wise RF, every ride she complained of her feet lately, no where to put her legs out and I wonder if her feet were falling asleep. So we temporary traded for a Radian, which we had used in another temporary trade. The people all wanted their Radians back, so I am back to my MA70 again. I made the big decision to FF it this time and I loved it today. She loved it. We talked way more. When she got tired I could just put on the built in DVD player for her instead of the dumb portable one that drives me nuts. Way easier to get her buckled up FF. She even looked so cozy and comfy in her Moo seat. (didn't use moo RF because it seemed to add even more bulk to her already squished self.) I am ordering a Riley Prosport for her after having tried 1 for 1 trip and really liking it.

I feel a little guilty not getting her to the 48 months that I was aiming for. Honestly I think I kept her RF more to prove to people that it was possible to RF to her age. Feeling guilty this week and DH reminded me that she made it 3 years longer RF than ALL her friends. Heck, some of her friends are already in boosters! I am happy to say, she was happy RF. It wasn't until the feet issue that she ever complained. So thank you to this blog for inspiring me to RF our last baby to the max of her seat.

ADS

Lenae

Congratulations on making it as long as you did! I am glad to hear you both are happy with it.

By the way, at least for me, the talking so much more got really old, really fast, lol.

tam_shops

Did I read that right, you like FF? LOL

I *hate* it. My guy kicks my seat, walks on the stuff I put on the floor, pulls and grabs at things when getting into the car and my personal favourite now comes from my almost 7yo, "mom, wasn't that light yellow? My teacher said you should stop at yellow lights." I knew there was a reason I didn't like this teacher. Or "mom, you are going 60, what's the speed limit here?" or "mom you are going 60, but that sign says you are supposed to be going 50" When, I'm not even going 60, only 53. :p

Yep, not a fan of FF and never will be! So, glad you're enjoying! LOL

tam

mlohry

I *hate* it. My guy kicks my seat, walks on the stuff I put on the floor, pulls and grabs at things when getting into the car and my personal favourite now comes from my almost 7yo, "mom, wasn't that light yellow? My teacher said you should stop at yellow lights." I knew there was a reason I didn't like this teacher. Or "mom, you are going 60, what's the speed limit here?" or "mom you are going 60, but that sign says you are supposed to be going 50" When, I'm not even going 60, only 53. :p

tam

That made me LOL! Well I already get all that talk from my boys! Have for quite sometime since I turned them at a year, 7 and 9 years ago!

Maybe it's a fad! I can still eeeek out an inch RF in the MA70 if I HAVE to do it!

NatesMamma

tam

HA! I get that from my RF 3 year old! He uses his RF mirror to look out the windshield and backseat drive all the time. :rolleyes: "Mommy, the light is yellow SLOW DOWN!" "It's green, Mommy! You can go now!" "Mommy, the light turned green (.03 seconds ago, and there's a car in front of me)! Why aren't you driving yet?" Don't tell him, but I think it's kinda cute. For now.

He actually hates FF, for the record. He tells me that his seat (RN) is comfy, and the few times that he FF he complained that he had no where to put his feet. He kept trying to sit cross-legged and got PO'd when his legs slipped off the edge of the seat. He's 46 mo. I think we have many happy months of RF ahead of us, although I would switch him FF if he asked.

Keeanh

LOL

Off-topic, but my favourite is being told that I "went through a red light" when I turn left (referring to the red light for the street I'm turning onto). Um, yeah, I can't even be bothered explaining that one. I'm hoping the logistics of traffic lights will make sense to them before they get licences.

mlohry

HA! I get that from my RF 3 year old! He uses his RF mirror to look out the windshield and backseat drive all the time. :rolleyes: "Mommy, the light is yellow SLOW DOWN!" "It's green, Mommy! You can go now!" "Mommy, the light turned green (.03 seconds ago, and there's a car in front of me)! Why aren't you driving yet?" Don't tell him, but I think it's kinda cute. For now.

He actually hates FF, for the record. He tells me that his seat (RN) is comfy, and the few times that he FF he complained that he had no where to put his feet. He kept trying to sit cross-legged and got PO'd when his legs slipped off the edge of the seat. He's 46 mo. I think we have many happy months of RF ahead of us, although I would switch him FF if he asked.

Up until 2 months ago, DD also only wanted to RF. I even posted a thread about it. We tried FF her in a Radian just to see if we wanted to buy one and she hated it, she was in it like 20 minutes and repeatedly asked us to turn her around. It wasn't until that one trip in the Prosport that she changed her mind about FF and that was about a month ago, she only rode that 1 time, but fell in love with that seat, even wanted to be buckled in while it was in the basement. She repeatedly asked if she could ride in it. I think she likes it because she can curl her legs up just like RF, it gives her tons of seat, curl up room. She sat in it just like she sat in a RF seat, but of course has the option to put her legs down. She also slept in it like a dream! I was sold, just need a purple one ;)

minismom

tam

My dd does the same thing. Not so much anymore but non stop when she first turned ff. I like to listen to music when I drive all the talking drives me crazy!

Syllieann

I would love to go back rf, ff has been nothing but crazy. The kids can reach each other now and its always something. Ds is in an ongoing dialog with himself about the various buttons, demanding I drive such and such way. He goes on and on telling me to put outer space on, which is him referring to the boot up screen of the honda navigation system. We have to play the quiet game to get a little relief if the drive is more than 5 min. I hope it gets better once he is more accustomed to it but I'm glad it is better for you. 47 months is nothing to sneeze at, good job!

Baylor

I hear you. I love forward facing. It's so much easier. And they are happier. My kids always want to see me when they talk to me.

I'm so glad I don't have anymore rfing kids.

auto correct hates me

agave

I'd love to RF to 5 or 6 my 3 yr old will fit in the radian forever but she's dying to get her blue seat with 2 cup holders (maui frontier) out of the closet. She's going nuts not being able to see what every one else sees of course my 4 yr old likes to rub it in. I'll probably flip her this summer at 3 1/2. I am looking forward to using having 2 Frontiers and ditching the radian. Not exactly ready for duel backseat drivers.

I wish we lived closer to my almost 6 yr old nephew who thinks riding backwards is cool and he was flipped as soon as he was legal and boostered at 4. He got to ride RF once just after turning 5 and had a blast he was 46 lbs on the last visit or I would have found an excuse to take him to the store.

MommyShannon

Good job! As I moved all our seats around this weekend I was secretly looking forward to just over a year from now when DD2 will be 4 and I will be ok ff her (or close like your dd). It will make the logistics easier with only one rf. My kids could care less about facing me. We have 2 ff and 2 rf so they can converse (or fight) among themselves. My almost 3 year old can actually see our built in DVD player while rf as long as I keep her in the middle row which is a HUGE help.

Brianna

That's great you made it to just shy of 4!
I prefer RF :eek: Now that J is FF he kicks my seat (and covers it in mud) and has to play with the light switch every time he gets in the car. I'm almost considering a Foonf for him just to get his feet off my driver's seat!
I must say though, it's nice to reach back and unbuckle him from the driver's seat then just open the door and let him climb out instead of crawling in the back seat and unbuckling.

HappyHoo

See the extra talking is one reason I do prefer RF over FF LOL!

Both my kids started talking a lot more in the car when turned FF.

DS started the whole red light thing - and then at first he was saying uh oh, red light. I asked him to stop saying uh oh - so then he decided to start doing a gasp and then Oh No! - so it seemed like something was wrong :p

He is still RF in my car - but it's a small car and with the angle adjuster on the Radian it is getting harder to get him in there. I find myself sometimes choosing to use DH's car just b/c he is FF in there and it's not as tight getting him buckled in. He's almost 42 months and over 40 inches and 40 lbs - but I was hoping to get him through the winter or closer to 4 at least before going FF in both cars. I'm finding myself tempted though to just turn him FF in my car too and I never thought I'd feel that way.

But my DD only made it to 30 months in one car and 35 months in the other when she outgrew the seats she had RF. So he's at least made it longer than she did and definitely longer than anyone else where we live.

jjordan

tam

:yeahthat: Some of the talking is fun, but some of it gets old really fast! And no more sneaking treats in the front seat while kids are oblivious RF in the back. And the seat kicking... I guess ds calls it something else, because when I tell him not to kick my seat, he insists that he's not. One of these days I'll figure out what he thinks he's doing so that I can tell him to stop that (whatever it is)! Until then, whenever I'm in the passenger seat, I'm getting kicked. :mad:

Suzibeck

I love ff too. I turned dd4 in dh's car at 3.5 but she stayed rf in my van until 4.5. She is petite, 41" and 31#, and she totally has rf growing room in her RadianXT, but we were both just done. She actually rode in a booster the other day for about 2 miles and did great. I had to swap cars with dh at work and I did not want to install a seat in the rain so dd got her first booster ride at 4 yrs 9 mo.

NVMBR02

I also love FFing. :eek: I hate having to take boots off while RFing in the winter time and I like being able to hear what the kids are saying. Dd2 wants to rear face and she is almost 3 1/2 but she is so dang tiny I just cant do it. I would consider it if she was throwing fits abotu rear facing but she isn't. We did just flip her forward facing in dh's car since she only rides in there once every 2-3 months and it is easier for him to have a forward facing seat in his car. I drove his car yesterday with dd2 and I was reminded of how easy it was.

Oh well, it is only a few months until she turns 4 and then I will go ahead and flip her.

MommyShannon

I will point out though that I don't think a ff 1 or 2 year old is easier. I turned my older kids at 1 (thank goodness we never crashed). I think the added convenience is around age 3 to 4 when they are more independent anyway.

msg221

tam

Ha, ha! We have a backseat driver now too, and he's only 4.5! We had Nour & Zain for a few hours on Sunday. DH was turning right and the light was red, but no traffic coming, from the opposite direction, so he made the turn. Suddenly Zain pipes up from the back "it was red!!" I'm guessing they are learning about traffic lights at school!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC