Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Question 3 across in a 2012 Equinox

Hi everyone,
    I just found out I am having twins- my son will have just turned 3 when they arrive. We have a 2012 Chevy Equinox and are DESPERATE to not have to give it up. We live in Canada- just wondering if anyone knew whether this was possible (my son is in a FF seat right now, I think it is Eddie Bauer) and what seats to buy for the twins. Advice is greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic
    How tall and heavy is your son?

Unregistered

Re: 3 across in a 2012 Equinox

Hi there, he is about 31 pounds. I would have to measure, but he is quite tall. Don't know for sure.

Unregistered

Unhappy Re: 3 across in a 2012 Equinox

Hi all, He is 36" (3 feet). I still REALLY need an answer to this question, please!!

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

You should be able to fit 3 across in an equinox, though you may need to get your son a different seat. Eddie Bauer has a few different models so it would depend on what model you have for your son. (Some models have pretty low top harness height as well, and if yours is one of those then you'd be looking at having to replace it anyways.)

Do you have any stores near you that you could try some different seats out? When it comes to 3 across that is always the best thing to do is just try seats out. The snugride 30 is pretty narrow so far as infant seats go, but you probably won't be needing a seat quite that narrow. You may be able to get away with Keyfits and potentially even something wider if you replaced your son's current seat with a Radian.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

VanIsleMommy

it might involve at least one radian, and down the road maybe even two. but to start with you are going to want infant seats that fit very small babies well since you're having twins. depending on the seats and the sizes, you may even have to go without the base. The safety first onboard is quite narrow, there is also the chicco keyfit and some of the graco seats. you will also have to do all three installs with seatbelts not LATCH. ideally you'll want the three year old in the middle if you can make it work.

where are you located? it might be wise to contact a tech to go with you to the store to try seats out.