Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Dorel Group Voluntary Recall on Children's Car Seats

Duffy & Shanley, Inc.
    Dorel Juvenile Group USA

Annette Maggiacomo, 401-274-0001, ext. 432
    Media Line 781.364.3164

amaggiacomo@duffyshanley.com

Dorel Juvenile Group Announces a Voluntary Safety Recall Of Certain Convertible Child Restraint Systems

Columbus, IN August 30, 2007- Dorel Juvenile Group (DJG) is issuing a voluntary safety recall for certain CoscoR, Safety 1stR and Eddie BauerR brand child restraint systems manufactured during November 2003 through December 2005. Although no injuries have been reported, there is a potential for the harness adjustment strap to loosen during use. If this were to occur, the harness may be loose around the child, possibly increasing the
    risk of injury in a crash. We feel that it is important to replace the
    harness adjustment strap.

Model numbers affected are:

CoscoR: Alpha OmegaR, Alpha Omega EliteT: 22150, 22155, 22180, 22269; Eddie BauerR: 3-in-1, Deluxe 3-in-1, Deluxe Convertible: 22740, 22750, 22755, 22756, 22757, 22770; Safety 1stR : Alpha EliteT, Alpha OmegaR, Alpha Omega EliteT, Alpha SportT, InteraT, EnspiraT: 22151, 22450, 22451, 22452, 22453, 22455, 22460, 22480, 22481

The model number and date of manufacture may be found on a sticker located on the side or back of the child restraint system.

DJG will contact all registered owners and provide them with information on how to obtain a free repair kit to replace the harness adjustment strap. Those consumers who have not registered their product should visit www.djgusa.com or call 800-219-0509 to order a free repair kit. The affected seats should not be returned to the retailer.

DJG encourages parents to obtain and install the repair kit as soon as possible. Parents may continue to use the child restraint system as directed in their instruction manual. Parents should be sure to adjust the harness adjuster strap snugly each time they put their child in the child restraint system. If there is any difficulty adjusting the harness adjustment strap, or it does not remain tight, DJG suggests using a different child restraint system until the repair kit has been installed.

To check for harness slippage:

(1) Fully tighten the harness, (2) pull on the harness straps without pressing or lifting the harness adjustment lever. If movement occurs, the harness is experiencing slippage.
    Mommy to my 3 beautiful children:
    Noah 5yo, 34#, RF Boulevard
    Maddie 7yo, 50#, FF Radian
    Nathan 9yo, 58#, FF Frontier

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Re: Dorel Group Voluntary Recall on Children's Car Seats

Bumping this up for more visibility since many seats are affected, both U.S. and Canadian. http://safetynotice.djgusa.com/alpha-omega-ha/
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Senior Community Member CarSeatPoncho's Avatar

I just want to make sure: I don't see Apex 65 here at all, so Apex 65 is NOT part of this recall, correct?

www.CarSeatPoncho.com
    Keeps children safe and warm -- without a hassle!

DEMONSTRATION OF COAT COMPRESSION (Video) ..... PONCHO COLORS MATCH YOUR CAR SEAT(Click)
    Donna, CPST/Inventor, DS7 SK Monterey (Snug 22, EFT, Apex 65)

Correct, the Apex is not affected.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Senior Community Member CarSeatPoncho's Avatar

Thank you!

www.CarSeatPoncho.com
    Keeps children safe and warm -- without a hassle!

DEMONSTRATION OF COAT COMPRESSION (Video) ..... PONCHO COLORS MATCH YOUR CAR SEAT(Click)
    Donna, CPST/Inventor, DS7 SK Monterey (Snug 22, EFT, Apex 65)

Has anyone that sent for the strap kit received theirs yet? Mine came yesterday and I'm considering leaving the strap as is. I've never had a problem with them slipping and the "repair" kit looks like it might do more harm than good.

It's a new harness adjustment strap and the instructions say to cut the splitter plate off the old strap and use the strip of backing tape to attach the new one. That can't be right - cut and tape?? I dunno - must be Super Man tape or something...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubleta View Post
    It's a new harness adjustment strap and the instructions say to cut the splitter plate off the old strap and use the strip of backing tape to attach the new one. That can't be right - cut and tape?? I dunno - must be Super Man tape or something...lol.
    The cutting and tape used in the fix is just to help route the new harness adjuster into place. Without it, it would be almost impossible to get the strap through the seat's parts. Once you have the new strap in place, you don't use the old strap. Here is a video showing you how to install the fix:

http://safetynotice.djgusa.com/alpha...onal-video.wmv

I don't have first hand experience with the recall kit. I believe others who have used the kit have posted about it, and said the tape is a temporary thing only meant to help thread the replacement strap through. The tape isn't meant to hold it in place permanently because, well, it wouldn't hold as you said, lol.
    Last edited by Jeanum; 10-12-2007 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Posted simultaneously, thanks for clarifying and the video link, MomToEliEm:D
    Regards,
    Jean

DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Thanks for the video clip! I haven't tried it out - I just opened the envelope 15 min ago and skimmed the instruction sheet.

Feel much better now...lol.
    Tabatha, SAHM to:
    Nikolas (11/03), Onyx Regent
    Natalya (2/06), RFing in Olivia MA

I still haven't recieved my kit - and I ordered it on September 5th !!
    Mama to :
    Boo (2002), apramo backless booster
    Bug (2004), Parkway SGL
    Bear (2006), Parkway SGL

Wow! I ordered mine last week. Give 'em a call!
    Tabatha, SAHM to:
    Nikolas (11/03), Onyx Regent
    Natalya (2/06), RFing in Olivia MA

Senior Community Member BudgieStew's Avatar

Mine came last week. Since we are not using that seat right now I haven't changed it yet. Its not something I am looking forward to.
    It arrived about a week or so after I called to order..but I only live about 40 minutes away from their head office.
    *DD N 5 Years 46 inches/44 lbs FF in a Marathon/Parkway SG/Turbo Booster/ and Harnessed Nautilus
    *DS H 7 Years 49 inches/51 lbs in a Monterey and Turbo Booster
    and a Harmony and Radian as back up seats

Quote Originally Posted by Kashi View Post
    I still haven't recieved my kit - and I ordered it on September 5th !!
    You should call. Apparently a bunch of the people who first requested a kit weren't put in the system correctly. I ordered mine the first day (August 31st?) and when I called about it weeks later they said they just had my information down as 'requesting directions' and no kit was ordered. It took less than a week to get it after I called.
    The kit was fairly simple, but it made the seat a total PITA to tighten, at least rearfacing. I haven't used it FFing yet.
    Registered Nurse, BSN and Mommy to
    A ~ FF in Recaro Probooster, 8
    J ~ FF in Radian 80, 5
    B ~ FF in Radian XTSL, 3
    A ~ Keyfit 30, 1