Dorel Group Voluntary Recall on Children's Car Seats

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member

Duffy & Shanley, Inc.
Dorel Juvenile Group USA

Annette Maggiacomo, 401-274-0001, ext. 432
Media Line 781.364.3164

amaggiacomo@duffyshanley.com

Dorel Juvenile Group Announces a Voluntary Safety Recall Of Certain Convertible Child Restraint Systems

Columbus, IN August 30, 2007- Dorel Juvenile Group (DJG) is issuing a voluntary safety recall for certain CoscoR, Safety 1stR and Eddie BauerR brand child restraint systems manufactured during November 2003 through December 2005. Although no injuries have been reported, there is a potential for the harness adjustment strap to loosen during use. If this were to occur, the harness may be loose around the child, possibly increasing the
risk of injury in a crash. We feel that it is important to replace the
harness adjustment strap.

Model numbers affected are:

CoscoR: Alpha OmegaR, Alpha Omega EliteT: 22150, 22155, 22180, 22269; Eddie BauerR: 3-in-1, Deluxe 3-in-1, Deluxe Convertible: 22740, 22750, 22755, 22756, 22757, 22770; Safety 1stR : Alpha EliteT, Alpha OmegaR, Alpha Omega EliteT, Alpha SportT, InteraT, EnspiraT: 22151, 22450, 22451, 22452, 22453, 22455, 22460, 22480, 22481

The model number and date of manufacture may be found on a sticker located on the side or back of the child restraint system.

DJG will contact all registered owners and provide them with information on how to obtain a free repair kit to replace the harness adjustment strap. Those consumers who have not registered their product should visit www.djgusa.com or call 800-219-0509 to order a free repair kit. The affected seats should not be returned to the retailer.

DJG encourages parents to obtain and install the repair kit as soon as possible. Parents may continue to use the child restraint system as directed in their instruction manual. Parents should be sure to adjust the harness adjuster strap snugly each time they put their child in the child restraint system. If there is any difficulty adjusting the harness adjustment strap, or it does not remain tight, DJG suggests using a different child restraint system until the repair kit has been installed.

To check for harness slippage:

(1) Fully tighten the harness, (2) pull on the harness straps without pressing or lifting the harness adjustment lever. If movement occurs, the harness is experiencing slippage.

ADS

Troubleta

Has anyone that sent for the strap kit received theirs yet? Mine came yesterday and I'm considering leaving the strap as is. I've never had a problem with them slipping and the "repair" kit looks like it might do more harm than good.

It's a new harness adjustment strap and the instructions say to cut the splitter plate off the old strap and use the strip of backing tape to attach the new one. :eek: That can't be right - cut and tape?? I dunno - must be Super Man tape or something...lol.

MomToEliEm

It's a new harness adjustment strap and the instructions say to cut the splitter plate off the old strap and use the strip of backing tape to attach the new one. :eek: That can't be right - cut and tape?? I dunno - must be Super Man tape or something...lol.

The cutting and tape used in the fix is just to help route the new harness adjuster into place. Without it, it would be almost impossible to get the strap through the seat's parts. Once you have the new strap in place, you don't use the old strap. Here is a video showing you how to install the fix:

http://safetynotice.djgusa.com/alpha-omega-ha/movies/instructional-video.wmv

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I don't have first hand experience with the recall kit. I believe others who have used the kit have posted about it, and said the tape is a temporary thing only meant to help thread the replacement strap through. The tape isn't meant to hold it in place permanently because, well, it wouldn't hold as you said, lol.

Last edited:

Troubleta

Thanks for the video clip! I haven't tried it out - I just opened the envelope 15 min ago and skimmed the instruction sheet.

Feel much better now...lol.

BudgieStew

Mine came last week. Since we are not using that seat right now I haven't changed it yet. Its not something I am looking forward to.
It arrived about a week or so after I called to order..but I only live about 40 minutes away from their head office.

elle7715

I still haven't recieved my kit - and I ordered it on September 5th !!

You should call. Apparently a bunch of the people who first requested a kit weren't put in the system correctly. I ordered mine the first day (August 31st?) and when I called about it weeks later they said they just had my information down as 'requesting directions' and no kit was ordered. It took less than a week to get it after I called.
The kit was fairly simple, but it made the seat a total PITA to tighten, at least rearfacing. I haven't used it FFing yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC