Question Canadian needs advice on infants next seat

julymommy

Hi all, my 6 month old is going to outgrow his Maxi Cosi infant seat soon. At his 5 month appt he was 15lbs 6oz and was almost 27 inches, so he is long and lean. I am trying to figure out which seat would be best for his next one. The car I am driving now is a 2000 Toyota Echo but am in the market for a new car, thinking Hyundai Tucson or Toyota Rav4. We also travel to Florida quite a bit as my parents rent a place there, but now thinking I might buy an additional seat (nothing fancy) when I'm down there for their Florida car so I don't have to lug one there and back. So I don't think portability is a concern anymore. I still have no clue where to start. Any ideas?

ADS

April

I would look at the First Years True Fit and the Diono Radian for a main seat, those should get you to 3 and 4 rear facing. For a travel seat, I would look at the cosco Scenera, because its lightweight and cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

jacqui276

I would look at the First Years True Fit and the Diono Radian for a main seat, those should get you to 3 and 4 rear facing. For a travel seat, I would look at the cosco Scenera, because its lightweight and cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Sceneras here only have a 32" maximum RFing height limit, so doesn't last very long. If you are keeping one in Florida (and not bringing it back here or planning to have him in a seat on the plane) I would considering buying something in the US for that seat as they are cheaper, there are more options, and their Sceneras have higher height limits.

julymommy

The Sceneras here only have a 32" maximum RFing height limit, so doesn't last very long. If you are keeping one in Florida (and not bringing it back here or planning to have him in a seat on the plane) I would considering buying something in the US for that seat as they are cheaper, there are more options, and their Sceneras have higher height limits.

Yes I def think I will purchase a seat in the US and leave it there. I'm just having so much trouble thinking of one for here. Ackkkk so many out there. I want him to be comfy and of course very safe. I also want it to last.

I looked at the Radian R100 just now and it doesn't look very comfortable for an infant, doesn't seem to have much cushioning. Is it meant for infants or just toddlers?

julymommy

The True Fit seems to only be available at Canadian Tire? Was hoping to get from either BRU or Sears because of gift cards but would go outside those stores if a seat was really fab.

jacqui276

The True Fit is at Canadian Tire and Zellers (if you have a Zellers left near you, not sure if they are all gone yet).
The Sears here has the Radian R100 and my BRU has the Radian RXT. The R120 and RXT are a bit more padded (they have memory foam) and come with infant padding. I have an R100 and RXT and I don't really notice a difference in how the seat feels.
The MyRide is available at Sears as well and looks pretty comfy. BRU has a ton of Britax seats that feel well padded as well, but have short shells so don't last tall kids a very long time RFing. The Complete Air is available at both Sears and BRU if I remember correctly and looks comfy but I believe can only be used RFing to 36" tall.

What is your goal to get to for rear facing age?

julymommy

The True Fit is at Canadian Tire and Zellers (if you have a Zellers left near you, not sure if they are all gone yet).
The Sears here has the Radian R100 and my BRU has the Radian RXT. The R120 and RXT are a bit more padded (they have memory foam) and come with infant padding. I have an R100 and RXT and I don't really notice a difference in how the seat feels.
The MyRide is available at Sears as well and looks pretty comfy. BRU has a ton of Britax seats that feel well padded as well, but have short shells so don't last tall kids a very long time RFing. The Complete Air is available at both Sears and BRU if I remember correctly and looks comfy but I believe can only be used RFing to 36" tall.

What is your goal to get to for rear facing age?

I haven't thought about a target age, guess I just assumed he would go rear facing until he is no longer comfortable that way. Are they able to see out the window when rear facing? I feel kinda bad for him now that he just stares at the back of the seat and the mirror I have. Kinda looking forward to him getting into a bigger boy seat.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Oh they can totally see out the windows when RF. Seats that sit higher are a bit better for this when they're smaller. My one year old watched an entire Christmas light show from her RF seat and pointed and cooed the whole way.

As for seats, I like the Graco MyRide and the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 5-65. Currently using a Peg and loving it.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The 100 doesn't come with infant insert and they don't seem to show it available for sale on their web site. You could call and ask if they sell it separately to use on the 100. But looks like you need to buy the 120 or RXT.

How long will you be driving your Echo? It's a small car and I'm not sure the Radian will fit without the angle adjuster; which you can't use until baby is a year old. My parents had a Yaris sedan, which supposedly had more cabin space than an Echo, and the front passenger seat was so far up that my mom's knees were pressed against the dash and she's only 5'2".

We used the TF instead in their vehicle and had it installed as upright as allowed, and she fit, but I thought she was unsafely close to the dash.

In your situation, I might go with the MyRide as it fits really nice in small spaces. Amazon had it last week for $150, but looks like it went up again to $169. You could use it until your son outgrows it rear-facing and evaluate then if you need to get another convertible or are fine with moving him FF at whatever age that is. At that point you could always sell the MR to fund a taller seat if necessary.

An FYI, my 2nd child was my largest infant and she was somewhere around 85th percentile for height and weight. She outgrew the MR at 4y8m by weight with a half inch of growing room left. Her height had slowed down and her tall torso also grew minimally while her legs sprung. So you never know how long that seat will fit! :)

julymommy

Thank you so much for your input. I'm thinking of having the Echo for maybe a month tops. Right now the maxi cosi seat has the passenger seat so far up that no one can sit there. So either my hubby or I sit in the back depending on who is driving.

I'm thinking your right about the MyRide. Is it a good quality seat? Do you know if Sears has a good return policy if I change my mind? It's def a great price at Sears with the coupon code.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I loved my MyRides for RF. They were comfy, cup holders were awesome for small toys and sippies, and cushy for younger babies. Was still comfy for my DD at almost 5. And it's really easy to install.

I'm likely getting one for my parents' vehicle again for the baby.

I'm not sure of the return policy at Sears or Sears.ca so you'd have to check online to see if it says.

MammaBear

Just want to chime in and second the awesomeness of the my ride :) We've brought all our babies home in one and they grow very well with the kids. We do SUPER long road trips (8-9hrs a day for 3 days at a time, plus diaper changes and stuff) and there's never been a complaint.

julymommy

I really appreciate the input from everyone. One thing I've read about the myride (not sure how recent the reviews were) is the seatbelt in the crotch region can't be adjusted and that its only at one setting. Is this a problem?

V

VanIsleMommy

We have pretty much every seat mentioned and kiddo's favourite seat is the myride. It's comfy and he liked sitting higher as a baby and liked the cup holders. It is the one I found easiest to install too. The radian got him the most time rf (he is 4 and still rf, both for the added safety and the fact that he can kick his sister or throw things at me while driving... And no I'm not the only one I've heard of kids throwing their shoes and everything) and he is in the 90% for height and still very comfy. Ff he is uncomfortable because his legs dangle off the seat.

It was hard for him to climb in the myride once he got older and almost impossible to lift him into the true fit when it was in my SUV due to the side wings. My baby uses a true fit in my car now though and it's not an issue. I think it was because the SUV had a small space in the door opening to fit him through. The radian is a snap for him to climb in.

I would say for you the myride ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

amyd

I'd go for the My Ride too. I never found the one position for the crotch buckle to be an issue. I've used it RFing for a newborn, RFing for a baby between 6-12 months, RFing for a 2-3 year old & FFing for my older son after he was 3.5 so lots of different ways and never had an issue. My DS1 loved it FFing and is sad that he's outgrown it now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC