Grow with me high chairs

gigi

They definitely scratch floors. My Tripp trapps have scratched the crap out of wood floors in both homes I've had them in. I am trying to find a solution to that problem currently.

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I decided on a 2nd Svan. There simply isn't anything else with the features and adjustability (that I could find). The Stokke came close but even without the glider thing that bugged me, the baby set is not as adjustable as the baby guard on the Svan. And I used those adjustments with DD2 and was happy to have them.

So one decision made. Now to figure out what colour to get. That's the Svan drawback, no solid colours like black, grey or white. Only wood stains. There's several choices, but my new chairs will be solid coloured, not a stain so I would have liked a solid coloured baby chair. I'll deal with it. :p

Last edited:

Mr_Pacman

Good info in this thread.

We need a high chair for our 9 month old daughter as the current hand me down is not working for us.

I noticed the Stokke is on sale at a popular Canadian online store for $260 with all the accessories, but then I found the dreaded "tipping over video" on yourtube and that scared me away.

I then found the Keekaroo as previously mentioned in this thread and I'm leaning that way.

We were at a shopping mall food court last night and used one of the complimentary Rubbermaid Commercial High Chairs made of solid ABS plastic. I really liked it and those can be found at restaurant supply stores for $200 including the strap. The appealing thing about the rubbermaid is that I can take it into the shower (during our cold winters) or in the garage during the summer and spray it down.

Does anyone have the Rubbermail Commerical chair and if so, how do you like it?

Thanks
James

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
If you otherwise like the Stokke, I wouldn't let the tipping issue get to you. As long as it's installed on smooth, hard flooring (no carpet, no grippy stone flooring), and with the extended glides they include, you'd be fine. Although there would still be the floor scratching issue to worry about. LOL

I actually forgot to update. We used the Mutsy EasyGrow several more times and ended up loving it. I like the additional configurability of my Svan more, but the Mutsy is easier for us to clean and we like it more each time we use it. It has a couple seams where food has potential to get into, but I'm just going to pick up tube of clear kitchen/bath silicone and run a thin bead along those couple places. It will be virtually invisible and prevent food from getting in places where a toothbrush is required.

So ya, I'm keeping both the Mutsy and the Svan. The Svan is going to my Mom's as it has a slightly smaller footprint and her kitchen is tighter.

I have not tried the Rubbermaid commercial chairs other than at the mall. I did like them. For me though, I wouldn't want wheels scratching up the floors in my house. And I prefer it to convert to a pre-schooler chair that fits them right rather than using a booster.

You might want to take a look at the EasyGrow as it has the ease of use of the Rubbermaid chairs, easy to clean, converts to a real chair and is the same price as the Rubbermaid chair. Boombaloo Boutique (you're in Canada too?), has them with free shipping. Her communication was good and she shipped next day for me.

ETA: apparently the Rubbermaid chairs are available without wheels as well. They're still a little too plasticky looking for me, and not sure I'm gung ho on the Microban protection (leaching into food on tray or into skin?).

Last edited:

Mr_Pacman

I popped down to the local store today where they have the Stokke, Hauk and Keekaroo.

After playing around them, I think we are going with the Stokke. The Keekaroo is $250 with the baby seat in Canada (It's only $140 for the same model in the US :rolleyes: ) but, this store has the Stokke Anniversary Edition Tripp Trap on sale for $260 with the baby seat, so it's only $10 more than the Keekaroo. The Anniversary Edition comes in a nice oiled natural beechwood finish that we liked. Plus, I have a $30 off if you spend $300 coupon, so I'll use that towards the tray which is $50.

Normally, these chairs are $300 for just the chair, plus another $70 for the baby seat so I feel like we are getting a semi decent deal.....at least for living in Canada.

They only had 1 left, so I put it on hold and will go back tomorrow to pick it up. It also comes with the extender gliders , but not sure if we will need them as we plan to use the tray until baby is a bit older.

Thanks for all of your help.
James

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I think you made a good choice James. And sounds like a great deal.

I'd probably put the extended gliders on just in case. I find we pop the tray off our Svan sometimes and pull it up to the table. If you've got the extra gliders on you don't need to worry if it's safe or not.

Mr_Pacman

I agree with the gliders. I may just put them on as they are not ugly or obtrusive at all. Reading some of the negative Amazon reviews makes them sound like they stick up so high that people trip on them. They are flat and blend in well with the chair.

Now I just need to get the convertible car seat sorted out. Deciding between the Diono, Britax or the Clek (which was on sale today at a Canadian online store for $345 down from $475, but we missed out on it).

It's great that this forum exists so we can share (I'm doing more leeching than sharing at the moment) experiences. Especially nice to see some Canadians on here as it's a bit more challenging for us to find things at reasonable prices when compared with our cousins down south.

James

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I hadn't even seen comments about the extended glides. I dislike them for aesthetic reasons, but they certainly don't look like you'd trip on them!

Now I just need to get the convertible car seat sorted out. Deciding between the Diono, Britax or the Clek (which was on sale today at a Canadian online store for $345 down from $475, but we missed out on it).

If you start a new post with your child's height/weight and what vehicle you drive, we'd be happy to provide advice and information.

We've been using the new Peg Perego convertible for over a month and I like it better than the Marathon I had previously (which I also liked).

Mr_Pacman

I started a thread on the Canadian forum which is here:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=2460383#post2460383

My daughter is roughly 27 inches and 20lbs.

We have a 2010 Ford Escape which is my wife's vehicle and the car seat is in there during the weekdays.

I drive a 2012 Dodge Journey. It's a company vehicle with free gas so we tend to drive this one if we go anywhere during evenings and weekends......but this vehicle changes every 2 years so I don't want to make a buying decision on a seat for this car. Having said that, it's quite roomy so if the seat fits in the Escape, it should be fine in the Journey as well.

Currently we swap out our Chicco Keyfit base between vehicles quite often as it's easy and only takes 20 seconds to do. With this next seat, I'm not sure how enthusiastic we will be about swapping out the seat from the Escape to the Journey for running short errands as it seems like it takes a bit of time to do, so we may just reserve doing it for weekends. Perhaps even then it might be too much hassle to do.

James

Mr_Pacman

Just my luck. I bought 1 day too early.

For those living in Canada, lussobaby have the Stokke chairs 10% off and they are tossing in a baby seat and tray for free with free shipping. All of the colors are applicable to the promotion and not sure the plain beechwood like the one I bought last night.

Having said that, I do like the plain, oiled beechwood that we bought. I won't have to deal with any paint chips and I like the feel of the rough, bare wood. Hopefully it doesn't stain when tomoato sauce gets spilled on it.

James

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
James, if it makes you feel any better, the 10% off sale at Lussobaby says it doesn't apply to "furniture or gear".

So I think you still did fine! And got the anniversary edition with signature and matte chrome hardware. :thumbsup:

Mr_Pacman

My wife also mentioned that the discount was not valid on furniture, but when you add the Tripp Trap to the cart and apply the coupon code, it does give the discount. Perhaps it's an error on their website, but a good opportunity for someone living in Canada who wants one.

It's odd to me that the "Anniversary Edition" sells for $70 less than the "standard" colors.

At our local store, the Anniversary model is $229 (or $260 with the Baby Set, which is the bundle we purchased) but the regular painted colors and stains are $300.

Also, there isn't much info about the anniversary model online. Hopefully it wasn't an inferior product and discontinued early. I just registered mine for the 7 year warranty and will assemble it today. I figure if it does stain, I can always paint it a cool color or perhaps try staining it a darker color. We did like this raw oiled finish as it matches our kitchen table, chairs and hardwood floor.

I'll give our current highchair away for free on craigslist and hopefully someone can make use of it. I just don't like the way our baby slouches in it when at the dinner table and I find it very difficult to clean. Plus, it's quite big for our small dining room.

James, if it makes you feel any better, the 10% off sale at Lussobaby says it doesn't apply to "furniture or gear".

So I think you still did fine! And got the anniversary edition with signature and matte chrome hardware. :thumbsup:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My wife also mentioned that the discount was not valid on furniture, but when you add the Tripp Trap to the cart and apply the coupon code, it does give the discount. Perhaps it's an error on their website, but a good opportunity for someone living in Canada who wants one.
Well cool then! Hopefully they don't renege on the coupon if someone purchases. I've always felt a little sketchy about Lusso...they often have products that say are in stock but aren't and weird pricing on items. Maybe it's nothing, but I just haven't ever felt comfortable enough to attempt an order with them.

It's odd to me that the "Anniversary Edition" sells for $70 less than the "standard" colors.
I was thinking it might be for a couple reasons. One, because it's oiled, it's literally cheaper for them to make rather than it being stained. And two, being the anniversary edition, they may have kept the price point lower as a selling feature and taken less of a profit on that model.

The only thing I saw mentioned of importance about the anniversary edition is that they recommend oiling it regularly to keep it protected. I saw that in the Magic Bean description (may be in other web site descriptions as well?) http://mbeans.com/stokke-tripp-trap...ebros_ss=be350186-5716-a231-0f44-cec68da03f7c

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC