Grow with me high chairs

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Trying to see what's out there for the high chairs that go from just sitting to tween/teen/adult. Here's what I've got so far:

Stokke Tripp Trapp
Svan / Svan Signet
Primo Cozy Tot to Teen
Keekaroo
Leander
Badger Basket Embassy
Mutsy EasyGrow
Nuna Zaaz

Adding other posters' finds to the list for anyone stumbling on this thread:

Hauck Alpha Chair
I'coo Pharo
Oxo Tot Sprout
Badger Basket Evolve

What else is there?

Last edited:
ADS

thtr4me

Found some LOL!

Oxo Tot Sprout.
I'coo Pharo
Hauck Alpha

And I know Right Start used to carry their own brand of wooden grow with me chair (my sister had one), but looks like that has been discontinued.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thanks! Just discovered the Sprout this morning and just heard about the Alpha minutes ago before reading your post! LOL But haven't checked it out yet. And didn't know about the I'coo. So off to check out those couple!

Thank you!

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thanks! Not sure how I missed that one. I like it better than the Embassy I think.

I almost ordered a Tripp Trapp last night, then decided against it for a couple reasons.

Now I'm deciding between the Svan, Mutsy EasyGrow, I'coo Pharo and I may add the Badger Evolve to my list. The first 2 on my list I already own. :p

crunchierthanthou

I like the look better than the Embassy, too.

Why did you decide against the Tripp Trapp? I ended up selling the one I bought last summer, and now I'm faced with needing another seat at our table in the next few months.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
crunchierthanthou;2440481 Why did you decide against the Tripp Trapp? I ended up selling the one I bought last summer said:
I was wondering too. My Stokke has seen 13 years of daily use and still looks beautiful.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Why I decided against the Tripp Trapp...first, take note that I am *really* picky. As I was Googling for information, stumbled on many people and a few videos of kids pushing their feet against the table and tipping the chair backwards. Several years ago, Stokke came out with their fix for this, and that was extra plastic gliders that you stick hanging off the back of the base of the chair that you use while in baby mode. Then remove them for >3 (or kid mode). Firstly, I think the extra gliders hanging off the back look horrid. And while a cheap, valid solution, I want something that looks better on a $300 chair (price in Canada). There are numerous redesigns to address the issue, but instead, they kept their tried and true design and hacked on some ugly extra gliders. See, warned you I was picky. ;)

Second, the chair has glides on the bottom already so it slides on the floor if a child pushes against a table instead of tipping over (and the extended glides are for baby mode when the child's centre of gravity is higher). I put felts under chairs so they don't scratch up my floors. I wasn't sure if putting felt was going to interfere with the extended gliders, raising them or having them tilt and not work properly. I wasn't sure if I'd easily be able to add felts under the extended gliders as well without messing up the solution for non tippage. I didn't want my desire for unscratched floors to risk my kid tipping the chair. Reminder, I warned you I was picky. :p

Thirdly, they had some nifty chair pads that were acrylic coated, so easily wipeable. Except when I went to the U.S. and Canada stores on their web site, they didn't have the colour I needed. In fact, it didn't appear they had the acrylic coated ones at all. Then I decided to choose a grey chair, and it said out of stock on Stokke's web site, and their non-store, product only page doesn't show grey as a colour choice anymore. So, I think grey is no longer made. So, I was going to go with my 2nd choice of black. And then I read that Stokke has put a huge warning label on the back of the chairs and people have had difficulty removing the label (which looks horrid although I'm sure it's required for something) and after they did, the finish on the black chair looked different than the rest of the chair. Likely due to it being a dark colour so more noticeable. Then I decided to go with my 3rd choice colour which was the American Walnut (not the walnut coloured finish, the actual walnut wood), well that was an extra $150 for walnut. And since I already have 2 chairs sitting in my kitchen and looking to purchase a 3rd before selling the others...I opted not to get the $449 version.

By the end, I was just looking for reasons to take it off my list, so that's why the list get pettier as it goes along. :ROTFLMAO:

safeinthecar

Why I decided against the Tripp Trapp...first, take note that I am *really* picky. As I was Googling for information, stumbled on many people and a few videos of kids pushing their feet against the table and tipping the chair backwards. Several years ago, Stokke came out with their fix for this, and that was extra plastic gliders that you stick hanging off the back of the base of the chair that you use while in baby mode. Then remove them for >3 (or kid mode). Firstly, I think the extra gliders hanging off the back look horrid. And while a cheap, valid solution, I want something that looks better on a $300 chair (price in Canada). There are numerous redesigns to address the issue, but instead, they kept their tried and true design and hacked on some ugly extra gliders. See, warned you I was picky. ;)

Second, the chair has glides on the bottom already so it slides on the floor if a child pushes against a table instead of tipping over (and the extended glides are for baby mode when the child's centre of gravity is higher). I put felts under chairs so they don't scratch up my floors. I wasn't sure if putting felt was going to interfere with the extended gliders, raising them or having them tilt and not work properly. I wasn't sure if I'd easily be able to add felts under the extended gliders as well without messing up the solution for non tippage. I didn't want my desire for unscratched floors to risk my kid tipping the chair. Reminder, I warned you I was picky. :p

Thirdly, they had some nifty chair pads that were acrylic coated, so easily wipeable. Except when I went to the U.S. and Canada stores on their web site, they didn't have the colour I needed. In fact, it didn't appear they had the acrylic coated ones at all. Then I decided to choose a grey chair, and it said out of stock on Stokke's web site, and their non-store, product only page doesn't show grey as a colour choice anymore. So, I think grey is no longer made. So, I was going to go with my 2nd choice of black. And then I read that Stokke has put a huge warning label on the back of the chairs and people have had difficulty removing the label (which looks horrid although I'm sure it's required for something) and after they did, the finish on the black chair looked different than the rest of the chair. Likely due to it being a dark colour so more noticeable. Then I decided to go with my 3rd choice colour which was the American Walnut (not the walnut coloured finish, the actual walnut wood), well that was an extra $150 for walnut. And since I already have 2 chairs sitting in my kitchen and looking to purchase a 3rd before selling the others...I opted not to get the $449 version.

By the end, I was just looking for reasons to take it off my list, so that's why the list get pettier as it goes along. :ROTFLMAO:

Oh, I see. I have the original model (for the US anyway) and it must be a little different than the newer ones because there is no way in the world a kid could tip it backwards accidently. *I* can't tip it backwards on purpose. That's actually one of the reasons I love it. I can put whichever kid I catch leaning backwards in their chair into it and not have to remind them "4 legs on the ground" every 20 seconds all through dinner.

Maybe you can find an older used one in the original design if you like the general styling.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Oh, I see. I have the original model (for the US anyway) and it must be a little different than the newer ones because there is no way in the world a kid could tip it backwards accidently. *I* can't tip it backwards on purpose. That's actually one of the reasons I love it. I can put whichever kid I catch leaning backwards in their chair into it and not have to remind them "4 legs on the ground" every 20 seconds all through dinner.

Maybe you can find an older used one in the original design if you like the general styling.

No, they haven't changed the chair design. It can be tipped. It's when the child is sitting up high as they do when they are using the baby bar. They can press their feet against the table and tip it back. Instead of changing the design, they added the additional extended gliders to use when the seat is up high with the baby bar.

Lots of people believe it can't be tipped and one guy posted that he didn't think it could be tipped and then his 14th month old did it right in front of his eyes and hit his head on the floor. There area few different videos out there showing how it can happen. That being said, the extended gliders resolve the issue. I just think it's a yucky solution. ;)

ETA: if you go to buy from their online store, you need to watch a video first on how to use the extended gliders and they tell you to only use the chair on a floor where the chair can slide, never on a grippy floor or on rug/carpet and they show how it can tip instead of push away and slide.

A couple of the other chairs I was looking at have deeper bases which I like better as a solution rather than add on plastic stuff sticking out the back.

Last edited:

thtr4me

Have you given a good look at the Keekaroo chairs? We loved our first one so much, we got a second one for DS2. They are grippy on hard floors, at least on ours. And I love the tray option. It has come in really handy, and makes a good play tray as well.

Oh, and the American Walnut Tripp Trapp? Swoon!!!!! That is on my wish list for me for a sewing table chair LOL!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I did look at the Keekaroo. I ruled them out for a couple reasons. One, it appears they don't have a baby bar option? It's either tray or no tray and then the kid is just there sitting on the chair in the 5 point harness. We use both our tray and our baby bar option on the Svan. And I'll turn any 5 point harness into a 3 point, so I like having the bar. My kids eat in diapers only and the shoulder straps make red marks on necks and shoulders.

Two, the colours offered clash with my house. I was looking for more modern stain or solid colours.

Let me know if I'm wrong about the lack of baby bar option.

T4K

Can I just say, Techno, you are the female equivalent of my husband. He's picky about everything but especially function and aesthetics!

safeinthecar

No, they haven't changed the chair design.

The newer ones ARE different than the one I have. I tried to get a seat pad for mine a few years ago and it didn't fit. Wait, I'll go measure.

OK the model I have is 3 inches shorter and 2 inches wider than the dimensions listed on amazon. It also has 3 support rods, not just one.

Oh, you know what? Mine was one of 6 that were part of a vendor conference about a year before they actually hit the market. Maybe they changed it before the the mass market release?

thtr4me

Let me know if I'm wrong about the lack of baby bar option.

Found one! Although they are not listed on the manufacturer website, so I am wondering if they may be discontinuing them? But here it is at Overstock:

http://www.overstock.com/Baby/Keekaroo-Wooden-Baby-Grab-Rail-High-Chair/3346145/product.html

Oops, out of stock there, but possibly in stock here? And yes, appears that it is no longer being made as a lot of places I just looked list it as out of stock or no longer available.

http://comfortfirst.com/p-43139-kee...h-chair.aspx?gclid=CIyzpN6Y7rQCFUxxQgodkyYAuQ

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Can I just say, Techno, you are the female equivalent of my husband. He's picky about everything but especially function and aesthetics!

Ha ha. That's totally me. Still not sure why I didn't go into industrial design!

The newer ones ARE different than the one I have. I tried to get a seat pad for mine a few years ago and it didn't fit. Wait, I'll go measure.

OK the model I have is 3 inches shorter and 2 inches wider than the dimensions listed on amazon. It also has 3 support rods, not just one.

Oh, you know what? Mine was one of 6 that were part of a vendor conference about a year before they actually hit the market. Maybe they changed it before the the mass market release?

So your seat is 16.25" deep only? And 20" wide? The current models are 18" wide and about 19.24" deep. I found an article with some info about when it came to the USA and the changes it went through. That follows with what I thought in that the differences were a different baby rail than Europe and different seat pads to accommodate, minor things like tray. But the actual chair was the same. http://daddytypes.com/2006/05/26/the_kinderzeat_is_dead_long_live_the_tripp_trapp.php

The support rods baffle me. The new ones have a wooden crossbar across the base, then 2 metal crossbars. You say yours has 3 metal bars?

I want to figure out what the heck is up. You've gotta get pics of yours when you have a chance!

Oh, and the user manual addresses the potential tipping issue too and has diagrams of it. And goes into derail about those pretty extended glides. :p I know that older chairs did not come with the extended glides, they added those at some point later. A few people on the internet that had tipping issues said that Stokke sent them a strap to attach their chair to their kitchen table. LOL That was before the extended glides were out.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Found one! Although they are not listed on the manufacturer website, so I am wondering if they may be discontinuing them? ]

Every time I've emailed Comfort 1st about a product that appears in stock, it's never actually in stock! Wonder if this is the same? LOL

I like my Svan better than the Keekaroo though. The Keekaroo is just a little too plain for me along with colours clashing with my kitchen. ;)

Thank you though!

Athena

Wow, you are picky. :D Regarding the Tripp Trapp, we never used the longer gliders. We already had a used one that didn't come with them and hadn't had any problems, so when I bought the new one, I never bothered. My DD had tipped in a regular chair (it was bad!), but has never tipped with this (knock on wood ;)). Of course, we have wood floors, so it can easily slide. BTW, I would not put felt pads on it. You'd be doing a disservice to your chair. It ruins the gliders, the gliders are way better, and they don't scratch the floors. However, at $449, I don't think even I could justify the cost and I love ours. Good luck!

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
BTW, I would not put felt pads on it. You'd be doing a disservice to your chair. It ruins the gliders, the gliders are way better, and they don't scratch the floors. However, at $449, I don't think even I could justify the cost and I love ours. Good luck!
Plastic/nylon gliders don't scratch glossy wood floors? I'm not sure I'm willing to experiment on my expensive flooring. :)

See, I expected the chair to not have anything under the wood; as in no gliders or plastic feet. And I'd add felts. Our Svan was like this and can slide easily with felts. So this glider business had me questioning whether I could add felts without compromising the anti-tip feature or whether the gliders would wreck the floor. I have to order online and can't return it, so it just didn't seem worth the risk of being unhappy and being stuck with it.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the EasyGrow. Although I may try the Pharo as I can order it online from a store that has a good return policy and I can return it in store if I don't like it better than the EasyGrow.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC