SG Clip: Pros and Cons

Athena

I didn't find a thread on this in my search, so I apologize if I missed it. Seems like it would have to have been at some point.

Our Parkway SGL arrived today. Although I'm awaiting confirmation that the fit looks okay (see thread in technical forum), I'm intrigued by the SG clip. I like the idea of the 4th point of security, but I'm wondering if there are drawbacks to it.

ADS
Pros:

Prevents submarining (child sliding under belt/ reduces downward motion of child in crash)

Helps keep lap portion of belt on the child's upper thighs, and off of their soft abdomen

Cons:

It's annoying at times (I have a PWSGL, this is my opinion)

It hasn't been proven to have any increased safety level over other boosters, as we don't get this info

Those are all I can think of..

*The SG clip is optional, you can take it out if you so choose. That statement is on (or around) page 18 of the manual.

aeormsby

I agree with the above also.

I liked it when DD was a new booster rider (and right at 40lb). I think it helps remind them that it's still a safety seat with the added strap. We left it on for about a year (cause taking that thing off to wash the cover is a huge PITA and I didn't want to deal with putting it back on).

Athena

I don't know what counts as small for a 40 pound minimum booster, but I was hoping to use it for my almost 45 pound DD who will be a new booster rider. Although I do wonder if it actually works or just makes me feel better. Could it do any harm?

Momof4Girls

^yeah that. I like it for younger/smaller kids.

My littler kids don't fit as well in it as some of the other seats. My 5.5 y/o (38lbs, 42" or so) doesn't fit well in the PWSG. My 6 y/o, on the other hand, it looks like the seat was made for her. My 10 y/o was riding in it as her primary seat, until we passed it down to my 6 y/o, and it looked awesome on her. She is TINY, weight-wise...she's 55.5" and 55.6lbs. I really like the use of the clip on her, especially since she has tiny bones, on top of it. My 5 y/o is built similarly, but not quite as tiny. My 8 y/o is a much more "typical" kid, size-wise, and the clip just made the belt fit weird on her, so she rarely rode in that seat.

Athena

My 5.5 y/o (38lbs, 42" or so) doesn't fit well in the PWSG.

I thought the minimum for this seat is 40 pounds. Is that right? Or were you just trying her out of curiosity? :)

Thank you for sharing your experience with this seat and the SG clip! Is the ~55 pound/inch child the 6yo or 10yo? And you do find the clip is still useful at that size, right? Just want to make sure I'm understanding.

My 6yo is approx. 46 pounds and 49.5", so I think it sounds like I'm making the right decision using the clip on her, at least for now. How do people usually decide to take it off (other than the needed washing scenario)?

Momof4Girls

I thought the minimum for this seat is 40 pounds. Is that right? Or were you just trying her out of curiosity? :)

Thank you for sharing your experience with this seat and the SG clip! Is the ~55 pound/inch child the 6yo or 10yo? And you do find the clip is still useful at that size, right? Just want to make sure I'm understanding.

My 6yo is approx. 46 pounds and 49.5", so I think it sounds like I'm making the right decision using the clip on her, at least for now. How do people usually decide to take it off (other than the needed washing scenario)?

Yes, it has a 40lbs minimum. The SG clip is touted for younger/smaller booster riders,so I wanted to see how she fit.

Athena

Yes, it has a 40lbs minimum. The SG clip is touted for younger/smaller booster riders,so I wanted to see how she fit.

Okay, got it. Thanks. I might try my 4yo in it out of curiosity too.

I am curious, how big is your 6yo who fits it well?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC