Dorel Car Seat Recall:Cosco, Eddie Bauer and Safety 1st Products Harness Slippage~Canada

santecno

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/childsafety/notices/tp14566P/2007p05/menu.htm

TP 14566 — Public Notice
Child Restraint Systems
2007-P05 E
August 31, 2007

Cosco, Eddie Bauer and Safety 1st Products Harness Slippage

Manufacturer:
Dorel Juvenile Group, Inc.
2525 State Street
Columbus, IN 47201
U.S.A.
Web site: www.djgusa.com

Importer and Distributor:
Dorel Distribution Canada
873 Hodge
St-Laurent, QC H4N 2B1
Consumer Contact:
1-800-544-1108

Media Contact:
David Hall 1-514-332-3737

Models Affected:

Cosco Alpha Omega:22C15BNP, 22C15CRK, 22C15ROR, 22C15TUX, 22C26BNG, 22C26GRH

Cosco Alpha Omega Elite:22C51HMR, 22C51TRP, 22155CSPH

Eddie Bauer 3 in 1:22C75AFD, 22C75ARD, 22C75EBN, 22C75MPB, 22C76SHL

Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3 in 1: 22C71BGL, 22C71BLD, 22C71MAC, 22756CLRS, 22756CBAL, 22757CMRC, 22757CLKM

Safety 1st Enspira: 22C50TWL, 22C50WFD

Safety 1st Intera: 22C46BDF, 22C46BDN, 22C46BKY, 22C46GEO

Dates of Manufacture:
November 01, 2003 – December 31, 2005

Number of Units: 314,433

Geographic Distribution: Across Canada

Issue:
When in the forward-facing mode, the harness system that holds the child into the child seat can loosen. The resulting slack in the harness system reduces the effectiveness of the child seat in the event of a motor vehicle collision and increases the head excursion of the child.

Background and Company Action:
Transport Canada received a complaint stating that during normal driving maneuvers the harness system would loosen. The car seat was procured from the complainant for examination. It was discovered that with minimal force, the harness system could be loosened. It appeared that the centre front adjuster, which is used for tightening and loosening the harness system, was not gripping the adjuster strap webbing and therefore allowed the harness to slip. This problem was reported to Dorel Distribution Canada. In addition, Transport Canada reported the problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States for their review.
With subsequent complaints, Transport Canada was able to obtain a number of affected seats from the public. Dynamic crash testing was performed and the problem was confirmed. It appears that if there is a minimal amount of existing slack in the harness system (one finger inserted between the harness and the chest of the child) the harness could loosen excessively leaving the child unprotected during collision. In addition, Transport Canada hired an outside contractor to perform testing on all the individual components of the centre front adjuster to determine the problem.
Concurrently, Dorel Juvenile Group performed tests to isolate the problem, both through dynamic crash testing and engineering analysis of the centre front adjuster mechanism.

Safety Risk:
Should the harness system loosen, the child would not be fully protected in the event of a motor vehicle collision. The prescribed limit on the amount of forward head excursion that can be experienced by the crash test dummy during dynamic testing helps to reduce the risk of injury that a child occupant may incur as a result of contact with vehicle interior surfaces during a motor vehicle collision. The loosening of the harness system and subsequent excessive movement of the child’s body and head could lead to serious injury.
To date, there have been no reported injuries associated with this problem.

Company Action:
Dorel Juvenile Group, Inc. and Dorel Distribution Canada have completed an intensive research program to develop an engineering solution. Part of this effort involves a change of supplier for the centre front adjuster. The new centre front adjuster does not allow for harness slippage. The fix offered by the company is a knit adjuster strap, instead of a woven strap, which will eliminate any slippage.

Consumer Recourse:

Consumers who have completed and returned their registration card will receive notice by mail. Those who have not sent in the registration card should contact Dorel Distributions Canada at the toll free number (1-800-219-0540) or via email at aopublicnotice@djgusa.com.

Until the replacement adjuster strap is received, Dorel Distributions Canada recommends the continued use of the product.

Last edited:
ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Are these dorel seats almost identical to the US seats? If so, do you suspect a US recall anytime soon?

The recall notice says TC notified NHTSA and they're doing their own testing. I would say that if TC found this problem on all these seats, NHTSA should as well and a recall will be coming on these seats as well within the affected model #'s and DOM. As for if additional DOM will be added in if NHTSA releases a recall, that's hard to say.

snowbird25ca

TP 14566 — Public Notice
Child Restraint Systems
2007-P05 E
August 31, 2007

Cosco, Eddie Bauer and Safety 1st Products Harness Slippage

Manufacturer:
Dorel Juvenile Group, Inc.
2525 State Street
Columbus, IN 47201
U.S.A.
Web site: www.djgusa.com

Consumer Recourse:

Consumers who have completed and returned their registration card will receive notice by mail. Those who have not sent in the registration card should contact Dorel Distributions Canada at the toll free number (1-800-219-0540) or via email at aopublicnotice@djgusa.com.

Until the replacement adjuster strap is received, Dorel Distributions Canada recommends the continued use of the product.[/QUOTE]

This concerns me, and I'd like others input on it - TC's testing has revealed that a properly tightened harness is able to loosen enough to cause injury in a collision. There isn't any specifics about certain types of collisions, it's just blanketly stated - so any ff'ing child could have this happen. This seems like something that the seat shouldn't be used ff'ing until the fix is made.

Incidentally, the AO we had for dd and got rid of over a year ago is affected by this recall. I told the new owners to re-register, I hope they did. :(

snowbird25ca

I've been on the phone all afternoon trying to get the word out to friends and relatives that own and use this seat.

Belinda

Yep, I just sent out an email to a ton of people I've done seat checks for and some other moms friends. Even if they aren't affected personally, I know a ton of people are affected. I've asked everyone to pass on the email to other mom friends/groups.

In the meantime for smaller kids who are ff'ing in restraints affected by the recall and still fit the seat rf'ing, I will be recommending that they are turned back rf'ing until the fix kit is received. (I always recommend this anyways, but this is a different reason for the recommendation and perhaps more parents will at least turn their kids around until they get the repair kit even if they're dead set against a rf'ing toddler.)

BudgieStew

I just was able to check my E/B 3-1 and it is one of the ones recalled.

I think I will have to call them though as I am not 100% what address I sent to them...I 've moved twice since.

We aren't using that seat FF since May and now only as a second seat RF.

Last edited:

Lea_Ontario

Checked Bug's Intera today - it's also one of the ones recalled. I just sent an email off to them.

We are using the seat FF, and now I'm nervous about that, even though we have never had any problems with the seat at all.

If only we had an extra $300 sitting around at the moment - I'd go out and buy her a Radian on Tuesday.

santecno

TP
Until the replacement adjuster strap is received, Dorel Distributions Canada recommends the continued use of the product.[/QUOTE]

This concerns me, and I'd like others input on it - TC's testing has revealed that a properly tightened harness is able to loosen enough to cause injury in a collision. There isn't any specifics about certain types of collisions, it's just blanketly stated - so any ff'ing child could have this happen. This seems like something that the seat shouldn't be used ff'ing until the fix is made.

Incidentally, the AO we had for dd and got rid of over a year ago is affected by this recall. I told the new owners to re-register, I hope they did. :(

Dorel has on their site:

DJG encourages parents to obtain and install the repair kit as soon as possible. Parents may continue to use the child restraint system as directed in their instruction manual. Parents should be sure to adjust the harness adjuster strap snugly each time they put their child in the child restraint system. If there is any difficulty adjusting the harness adjustment strap, or it does not remain tight, DJG suggests using a different child restraint system until the repair kit has been installed.

To check for harness slippage:
(1) Fully tighten the harness, (2) pull on the harness straps without pressing or lifting the harness adjustment lever. If movement occurs, the harness is experiencing slippage.

They basically leave it up to the person's discretion on whether to use the seat or not.

emilia

I just brought in this seat to clean it and switch it to forward facing and was searching for the manual online and found this post. I haven't noticed any slippage forward facing with my older son. I have registered the seat online (just now) and I need the manual and the "fix" for this problem. Does anyone know where I can find manuals online (we lost our the last tie we moved)?

Last edited:

santecno

I just brought in this seat to clean it and switch it to forward facing and was searching for the manual online and found this post. I haven't noticed any slippage forward facing with my older son. I have registered the seat online (just now) and I need the manual and the "fix" for this problem. Does anyone know where I can find manuals online (we lost our the last tie we moved)?

http://www.coscojuvenile.com/product/search.asp?type=category&value=13

I believe those are the US instructions. You would have to contact them to get a CDN one.

emilia

I received the manual by email for each of my eddie bauer seats. I registered them online and haven't received anything about this recall. My son is almost 30 lb. and I just turned him around FF. I cannot detect any slippage, I wonder what I should do. I guess I can contact the company and ask them?

hipmaman

I cannot detect any slippage, I wonder what I should do. I guess I can contact the company and ask them?

Unfortunately, slippage might not occur by you pulling on the straps but can happen under more force in a collision. I would contact the company for further instructions.

QuassEE

emilia--are you saying your seat is on the recall list? If your model number is on the recall list--definitely call the manufacturer. If it's not, the seat is not under recall and there's no action you need to take at this time.

-Nicole.

emilia

I have two seats on the list. I assumed when I registered that they would send me the fix? But I have been waiting and haven't received anything. I will email them now...

snowbird25ca

I have two seats on the list. I assumed when I registered that they would send me the fix? But I have been waiting and haven't received anything. I will email them now...

Cosco didn't send out fix kits to registered owners, they just sent out an email that provided a way to tell if your seat was actually an affected one. They used 3 different types of harness adjusters on the model #'s involved in the recall, and only one of them was affected. So the letter basically said to check their website or call them to determine if yours was affected. :rolleyes:

Here's how to tell if yours is - the 3 types were 1 wide with a plastic piece on the bottom, 1 narrow with the adjuster lever being completely smooth, and 1 narrow with the adjuster lever having horizontal ridges on half of the adjuster with the other half smooth. The one affected by the recall is the narrow one with the horizontal ridges.

You can order the recall kit by going here:
http://safetynotice.djgusa.com/alpha-omega-ha/strap.php?location=ca

You'll need your model # and date of manufacture in order to complete the process. :thumbsup:

emilia

Cosco didn't send out fix kits to registered owners, they just sent out an email that provided a way to tell if your seat was actually an affected one. They used 3 different types of harness adjusters on the model #'s involved in the recall, and only one of them was affected. So the letter basically said to check their website or call them to determine if yours was affected. :rolleyes:

Here's how to tell if yours is - the 3 types were 1 wide with a plastic piece on the bottom, 1 narrow with the adjuster lever being completely smooth, and 1 narrow with the adjuster lever having horizontal ridges on half of the adjuster with the other half smooth. The one affected by the recall is the narrow one with the horizontal ridges.

You can order the recall kit by going here:
http://safetynotice.djgusa.com/alpha-omega-ha/strap.php?location=ca

You'll need your model # and date of manufacture in order to complete the process. :thumbsup:

Wow! Thanks! I will go check them now!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC