Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dorel Car Seat Recall:Cosco, Eddie Bauer and Safety 1st Products Harness Slippage~Canada

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/child...07p05/menu.htm

TP 14566 — Public Notice
    Child Restraint Systems
    2007-P05 E
    August 31, 2007

Cosco, Eddie Bauer and Safety 1st Products Harness Slippage

Manufacturer:
    Dorel Juvenile Group, Inc.
    2525 State Street
    Columbus, IN 47201
    U.S.A.
    Web site: www.djgusa.com

Importer and Distributor:
    Dorel Distribution Canada
    873 Hodge
    St-Laurent, QC H4N 2B1
    Consumer Contact:
    1-800-544-1108

Media Contact:
    David Hall 1-514-332-3737

Models Affected:

Cosco Alpha Omega:22C15BNP, 22C15CRK, 22C15ROR, 22C15TUX, 22C26BNG, 22C26GRH

Cosco Alpha Omega Elite:22C51HMR, 22C51TRP, 22155CSPH

Eddie Bauer 3 in 1:22C75AFD, 22C75ARD, 22C75EBN, 22C75MPB, 22C76SHL

Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3 in 1: 22C71BGL, 22C71BLD, 22C71MAC, 22756CLRS, 22756CBAL, 22757CMRC, 22757CLKM

Safety 1st Enspira: 22C50TWL, 22C50WFD

Safety 1st Intera: 22C46BDF, 22C46BDN, 22C46BKY, 22C46GEO

Dates of Manufacture:
    November 01, 2003 – December 31, 2005

Number of Units: 314,433

Geographic Distribution: Across Canada

Issue:
    When in the forward-facing mode, the harness system that holds the child into the child seat can loosen. The resulting slack in the harness system reduces the effectiveness of the child seat in the event of a motor vehicle collision and increases the head excursion of the child.

Background and Company Action:
    Transport Canada received a complaint stating that during normal driving maneuvers the harness system would loosen. The car seat was procured from the complainant for examination. It was discovered that with minimal force, the harness system could be loosened. It appeared that the centre front adjuster, which is used for tightening and loosening the harness system, was not gripping the adjuster strap webbing and therefore allowed the harness to slip. This problem was reported to Dorel Distribution Canada. In addition, Transport Canada reported the problem to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States for their review.
    With subsequent complaints, Transport Canada was able to obtain a number of affected seats from the public. Dynamic crash testing was performed and the problem was confirmed. It appears that if there is a minimal amount of existing slack in the harness system (one finger inserted between the harness and the chest of the child) the harness could loosen excessively leaving the child unprotected during collision. In addition, Transport Canada hired an outside contractor to perform testing on all the individual components of the centre front adjuster to determine the problem.
    Concurrently, Dorel Juvenile Group performed tests to isolate the problem, both through dynamic crash testing and engineering analysis of the centre front adjuster mechanism.

Safety Risk:
    Should the harness system loosen, the child would not be fully protected in the event of a motor vehicle collision. The prescribed limit on the amount of forward head excursion that can be experienced by the crash test dummy during dynamic testing helps to reduce the risk of injury that a child occupant may incur as a result of contact with vehicle interior surfaces during a motor vehicle collision. The loosening of the harness system and subsequent excessive movement of the child’s body and head could lead to serious injury.
    To date, there have been no reported injuries associated with this problem.

Company Action:
    Dorel Juvenile Group, Inc. and Dorel Distribution Canada have completed an intensive research program to develop an engineering solution. Part of this effort involves a change of supplier for the centre front adjuster. The new centre front adjuster does not allow for harness slippage. The fix offered by the company is a knit adjuster strap, instead of a woven strap, which will eliminate any slippage.

Consumer Recourse:

Consumers who have completed and returned their registration card will receive notice by mail. Those who have not sent in the registration card should contact Dorel Distributions Canada at the toll free number (1-800-219-0540) or via email at aopublicnotice@djgusa.com.

Until the replacement adjuster strap is received, Dorel Distributions Canada recommends the continued use of the product.
    Last edited by santecno; 09-01-2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Added URL
    CRST Mom to 4 in seats
    M~Monterey, N~Monterey, A~Monterey & M~MA

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Dorel Car Seat Recall:Cosco, Eddie Bauer and Safety 1st Products Harness Slippage~Canada

Are these dorel seats almost identical to the US seats? If so, do you suspect a US recall anytime soon?

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Re: Dorel Car Seat Recall:Cosco, Eddie Bauer and Safety 1st Products Harness Slippage~Canada

Quote Originally Posted by MomToEliEm View Post
    Are these dorel seats almost identical to the US seats? If so, do you suspect a US recall anytime soon?
    The recall notice says TC notified NHTSA and they're doing their own testing. I would say that if TC found this problem on all these seats, NHTSA should as well and a recall will be coming on these seats as well within the affected model #'s and DOM. As for if additional DOM will be added in if NHTSA releases a recall, that's hard to say.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

[QUOTE=santecno;214735]TP 14566 — Public Notice
    Child Restraint Systems
    2007-P05 E
    August 31, 2007

Cosco, Eddie Bauer and Safety 1st Products Harness Slippage

Manufacturer:
    Dorel Juvenile Group, Inc.
    2525 State Street
    Columbus, IN 47201
    U.S.A.
    Web site: www.djgusa.com

Consumer Recourse:

Consumers who have completed and returned their registration card will receive notice by mail. Those who have not sent in the registration card should contact Dorel Distributions Canada at the toll free number (1-800-219-0540) or via email at aopublicnotice@djgusa.com.

Until the replacement adjuster strap is received, Dorel Distributions Canada recommends the continued use of the product.[/QUOTE]

This concerns me, and I'd like others input on it - TC's testing has revealed that a properly tightened harness is able to loosen enough to cause injury in a collision. There isn't any specifics about certain types of collisions, it's just blanketly stated - so any ff'ing child could have this happen. This seems like something that the seat shouldn't be used ff'ing until the fix is made.

Incidentally, the AO we had for dd and got rid of over a year ago is affected by this recall. I told the new owners to re-register, I hope they did.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by MomToEliEm View Post

They are and it seems as though they have!

http://safetynotice.djgusa.com/alpha-omega-ha/press.php

I've been on the phone all afternoon trying to get the word out to friends and relatives that own and use this seat.

Belinda

Quote Originally Posted by cantech View Post
    I've been on the phone all afternoon trying to get the word out to friends and relatives that own and use this seat.

Belinda
    Yep, I just sent out an email to a ton of people I've done seat checks for and some other moms friends. Even if they aren't affected personally, I know a ton of people are affected. I've asked everyone to pass on the email to other mom friends/groups.

In the meantime for smaller kids who are ff'ing in restraints affected by the recall and still fit the seat rf'ing, I will be recommending that they are turned back rf'ing until the fix kit is received. (I always recommend this anyways, but this is a different reason for the recommendation and perhaps more parents will at least turn their kids around until they get the repair kit even if they're dead set against a rf'ing toddler.)

Senior Community Member BudgieStew's Avatar

I just was able to check my E/B 3-1 and it is one of the ones recalled.

I think I will have to call them though as I am not 100% what address I sent to them...I 've moved twice since.

We aren't using that seat FF since May and now only as a second seat RF.
    Last edited by BudgieStew; 09-02-2007 at 04:29 PM.
    *DD N 5 Years 46 inches/44 lbs FF in a Marathon/Parkway SG/Turbo Booster/ and Harnessed Nautilus
    *DS H 7 Years 49 inches/51 lbs in a Monterey and Turbo Booster
    and a Harmony and Radian as back up seats

Checked Bug's Intera today - it's also one of the ones recalled. I just sent an email off to them.

We are using the seat FF, and now I'm nervous about that, even though we have never had any problems with the seat at all.

If only we had an extra $300 sitting around at the moment - I'd go out and buy her a Radian on Tuesday.
    Mama to :
    Boo (2002), apramo backless booster
    Bug (2004), Parkway SGL
    Bear (2006), Parkway SGL

http://safetynotice.djgusa.com/alpha...a/press_ca.php

I found this yesterday - you enter in your info on this page and it's the order form for the replacement part. (Then you don't have to call and hold.)

[QUOTE=snowbird25ca;214833]
    Quote Originally Posted by santecno View Post
    TP
    Until the replacement adjuster strap is received, Dorel Distributions Canada recommends the continued use of the product.[/QUOTE]

This concerns me, and I'd like others input on it - TC's testing has revealed that a properly tightened harness is able to loosen enough to cause injury in a collision. There isn't any specifics about certain types of collisions, it's just blanketly stated - so any ff'ing child could have this happen. This seems like something that the seat shouldn't be used ff'ing until the fix is made.

Incidentally, the AO we had for dd and got rid of over a year ago is affected by this recall. I told the new owners to re-register, I hope they did.
    Dorel has on their site:

DJG encourages parents to obtain and install the repair kit as soon as possible. Parents may continue to use the child restraint system as directed in their instruction manual. Parents should be sure to adjust the harness adjuster strap snugly each time they put their child in the child restraint system. If there is any difficulty adjusting the harness adjustment strap, or it does not remain tight, DJG suggests using a different child restraint system until the repair kit has been installed.

To check for harness slippage:
    (1) Fully tighten the harness, (2) pull on the harness straps without pressing or lifting the harness adjustment lever. If movement occurs, the harness is experiencing slippage.
    They basically leave it up to the person's discretion on whether to use the seat or not.
    CRST Mom to 4 in seats

Smile Re: Dorel Car Seat Recall:Cosco, Eddie Bauer and Safety 1st Products Harness Slippage~Canada

I just brought in this seat to clean it and switch it to forward facing and was searching for the manual online and found this post. I haven't noticed any slippage forward facing with my older son. I have registered the seat online (just now) and I need the manual and the "fix" for this problem. Does anyone know where I can find manuals online (we lost our the last tie we moved)?
    Last edited by emilia; 01-25-2008 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added siggie, so deleted double signature
    Josephine April 2012- 20 lb. RF in Chaperone
    Carlyle 3.5 years- 41" tall and 40 lb. FF Frontier
    Augustus 6 years- 48" tall and 60 lb. in Monterey
    Theodore 8 years- 55" tall and 77 lb. in Monterey

Quote Originally Posted by emilia View Post
    I just brought in this seat to clean it and switch it to forward facing and was searching for the manual online and found this post. I haven't noticed any slippage forward facing with my older son. I have registered the seat online (just now) and I need the manual and the "fix" for this problem. Does anyone know where I can find manuals online (we lost our the last tie we moved)?
    http://www.coscojuvenile.com/product...egory&value=13

I believe those are the US instructions. You would have to contact them to get a CDN one.
    CRST Mom to 4 in seats

Just seen this how old is this recall. I have a Eddie Bauer 3 in One.
    Rearface as long as possible, Forward face when you must, Give them a boost when they need one. But most of all keep them safe as you can.

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

Check your seat's model number against the list above, and/or use:
    http://www.tsfbcaa.com/Content/Docum...seatrecall.pdf

-Nicole.

I received the manual by email for each of my eddie bauer seats. I registered them online and haven't received anything about this recall. My son is almost 30 lb. and I just turned him around FF. I cannot detect any slippage, I wonder what I should do. I guess I can contact the company and ask them?

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I cannot detect any slippage, I wonder what I should do. I guess I can contact the company and ask them?
    Unfortunately, slippage might not occur by you pulling on the straps but can happen under more force in a collision. I would contact the company for further instructions.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

emilia--are you saying your seat is on the recall list? If your model number is on the recall list--definitely call the manufacturer. If it's not, the seat is not under recall and there's no action you need to take at this time.

-Nicole.

I have two seats on the list. I assumed when I registered that they would send me the fix? But I have been waiting and haven't received anything. I will email them now...

I have two seats on the list. I assumed when I registered that they would send me the fix? But I have been waiting and haven't received anything. I will email them now...
    Cosco didn't send out fix kits to registered owners, they just sent out an email that provided a way to tell if your seat was actually an affected one. They used 3 different types of harness adjusters on the model #'s involved in the recall, and only one of them was affected. So the letter basically said to check their website or call them to determine if yours was affected.

Here's how to tell if yours is - the 3 types were 1 wide with a plastic piece on the bottom, 1 narrow with the adjuster lever being completely smooth, and 1 narrow with the adjuster lever having horizontal ridges on half of the adjuster with the other half smooth. The one affected by the recall is the narrow one with the horizontal ridges.

You can order the recall kit by going here:
    http://safetynotice.djgusa.com/alpha...hp?location=ca

You'll need your model # and date of manufacture in order to complete the process.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
    Cosco didn't send out fix kits to registered owners, they just sent out an email that provided a way to tell if your seat was actually an affected one. They used 3 different types of harness adjusters on the model #'s involved in the recall, and only one of them was affected. So the letter basically said to check their website or call them to determine if yours was affected.

Here's how to tell if yours is - the 3 types were 1 wide with a plastic piece on the bottom, 1 narrow with the adjuster lever being completely smooth, and 1 narrow with the adjuster lever having horizontal ridges on half of the adjuster with the other half smooth. The one affected by the recall is the narrow one with the horizontal ridges.

You can order the recall kit by going here:
    http://safetynotice.djgusa.com/alpha...hp?location=ca

You'll need your model # and date of manufacture in order to complete the process.
    Wow! Thanks! I will go check them now!