Seat question/ infant with Colostomy

macmomma

I have a new placement.... an infant with a colostomy:eek: He is just the sweetest little guy, VERY easy going and always smiling.... that is until i put him in his car seat:(
The harness goes right across his stoma! As soon as I tighten the harness her gets very fussy and starts crying! I am sure it bothers him but I cant leave the harness lose. I am wondering if I could put like a folded washcloths over his stoma or would/ could that be harmful in case of an accident. I know a big towel is out- even though I would love t do that:eek: I have tried the Snugride35, Saftey1st, TF, BLVD70 and Scenera.... they all run across it. I dont think there is a seat out there that would not..... soooo washcloths that is folded into quarters??? I did put one on it and tightened the harness and he was not as fussy.... we did not drive anywhere!!!

thanks!

ADS

tiggercat

Poor little guy, can you tell us exactly where the stoma is located? I am wondering if something with straps that cross the thighs not the belly would help? Though the blvd would likely have worked if that was it.
I don't see a washcloth as a big deal on a RF seat as long as the harness is snug. Would a cloth diaper over the sposie help protect the area?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

macmomma

It is to the right of his belly button about an inch below the belly button (think appendix but a bit higher) . I could post a pic of his stoma/ bag but it would not look nice:eek:

macmomma

Yes, he bag is attached at all times (he would poop everywhere-LOL). I also have a tubie kid and never had issues with her and the car seat.... but then, her colon is not sticking out of her tummy:eek:

christineka

If you are interested in getting a special needs' seat (dealing with insurance), Merrit makes a rfing seat with a special harness. It's called the hope rear-facing car seat.

tiggercat

Is it the hip strap that bothers him or the belly? I am guessing you need a seat with a good gap at the belly. No specific advice, but maybe someone will know.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I helped a baby with something similar last year. I think the location of the tube was similar but I'm not positive. They had him in a SnugRide 30, and what we ended up doing was putting the crotch buckle to the inner position. He didn't NEED it to be there by the size of him but the manual did not require it in one or the other and that lowered the buckle (as it was then coming from under the bum somewhat) to the point that the harness was coming more over the thigh versus the belly. I imagine you'd have similar results with the OnBoard with its crotch buckle positions but I don't know the rules offhand for their use.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
If you are interested in getting a special needs' seat (dealing with insurance), Merrit makes a rfing seat with a special harness. It's called the hope rear-facing car seat.

Where did you see this seat? I've dealt with the Hope Car Bed, but haven't seen the rear-facing seat yet.

The car bed could be an option, but I would try some extra padding or moving the crotch strap as suggested by others first.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I helped a baby with something similar last year. I think the location of the tube was similar but I'm not positive. They had him in a SnugRide 30, and what we ended up doing was putting the crotch buckle to the inner position. He didn't NEED it to be there by the size of him but the manual did not require it in one or the other and that lowered the buckle (as it was then coming from under the bum somewhat) to the point that the harness was coming more over the thigh versus the belly. I imagine you'd have similar results with the OnBoard with its crotch buckle positions but I don't know the rules offhand for their use.

Along those lines, the Graco MySize/Size 4 Me has a buckle that, at the inner position, is ridiculously low on older kids, and would likely be really low even on an infant. That might be worth a try.

tiggercat

Or the peg perego pv convertible with the buckle in the inner slot and the infant padding. A bit on the pricey side though, unless you can get the cost covered somehow.

Kobain's Mommy

Yes, he bag is attached at all times (he would poop everywhere-LOL). I also have a tubie kid and never had issues with her and the car seat.... but then, her colon is not sticking out of her tummy:eek:

Do you think maybe the bag has pressure on it as well causing the pain?

macmomma

Dont know how to quote multiple people- so here it goes:eek:

He is a foster baby.... dont think CPS would spring for a special needs seat for him:(
I try to vent his bag during every diaper change- but he is quite gassy so it is quite possible for him to have gas while strapped in and it not being able to go anywhere.

Do they still make 3point harnesses?
I guess I could go the BRU and try several seats out.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
OP - do you still have the RA50 that's in your siggy pic? Is he big enough to fit in a classic Britax convertible? When I think about seats with harnesses that generally leave a gap in that area - the original Britax convertibles are the first thing that come to my mind.

Which portion of the harness is going across the stoma? Is is the hip straps or the shoulder straps?

macmomma

No- I gave the RA50 away to another foster parent:eek:
Maybe I need to order the infant insert for the new Britax?

I think i will try BRU tomorrow and she what they have that I can play with

Thank you everyone for brainstorming!

jordansmom

I would also suggest trying the peg convertible...if I left the infant wedge in and moved the crotch buckle to the inner position, the fit of the harness straps is almost identical across the legs and hip to the hope prototype convertible on my 20 lb 14 month old. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC