So are there any great strollers I haven't tried out there? The Dream Stroller Hunt: Part 2

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What about the City Select or the City Versa?

I have looked at them both and like them ok, but am not in love. And the fold is just not my favorite. They're fallbacks as well I suppose but I want to LOVE whatever I'm going to spend that much money on, you know?

ADS

legaleagle

I absolutely love my Callisto, so much that I traded in my 2009 for a 2011 for the upgraded canopy. Fabulous fabrics super comfy, my kids always fall asleep in it and have plenty of room at long torsoed 99% heighters. That said, it is really big & heavy for an umbrella, I can just barely cram it into my mazda5 with all seats up. Nothing near as huge as the Quattro though, which I also own.

EmmaGrace'sMom

I tried a Callisto and didn't like it much. It was just too dang big! When folded it was soooo tall!

I went Avio over Zippy for the single handle, so much easier to push one handed!

jordansmom

Finally have a minute to respond fully! Like I said before, I was just on the same hunt a month ago and my list of likes and dislikes was very similar to yours. I've also tried most, if not all, of the strollers you either have in your fleet or have had and had similar feelings on most of them. Towards the end of my search I had narrowed it down to the Cybex Onyx, Cybex Callisto, Valco Zee, Inglesina Zippy, or Inglesina Avio. I crossed the Onyx and Zippy off my list because I wanted a truly one handed push. And I crossed the Zee of my list because my all-terrain stroller is the Valco Trimode and I didn't want to have two strollers by the same manafacturer, even though I LOVE Valco. I wasn't a fan of the Callisto fabric options and was able to get a great deal on the Avio. I am soooo happy I went with it. I'm going to go down your list and add my bolded comments in regard to the Avio.

Requirements:
-Small-ish fold. Doesn't have to be tiny, but smallish. (I keep the Avio in the back of our BMW X5...there is still tons of room. I like the umbrella style fold and that I don't have to bend over to lock it or pick it up. It folds somewhat one handed, I'm getting better at it, and lift/roll it in.
-Must have an AWESOME push/steering. Really. I love about my Easywalker that it is so well-balanced and designed that I feel like I'm pushing air, even though it's pretty heavy. Same thing with my MBUD. I want that in a push. Amazing push! It has ball bearing wheels and I can push/turn it with one finger with even my 30 lb 3.5 year old
-Fold must not be irritatingly hard to operate. There is a learning curve, but after using it a dozen times, it is already easier for me to do. It's just different than any other stroller out there.
-Must have full recline (or darn near it.) Yes!
-Sturdy construction. It needs to last and last and last.Made in Italy and so, so fine! Need I say more?!
-Four wheels (if it's otherwise absolutely perfect I suppose I MIGHT try a three-wheeler, but I'd have to be completely and utterly in love with it.) Yes!
-Good brakes. I love the brakes on the Avio! Completely flip flop and fancy shoe friendly! They are cable linked you don't have to use the top of your foot at any point to lock or unlock the breaks.
-Excellent basket/shelf for storage underneath. I HATED the basked on my BJCM. The Avio has a great amount of storage for an umbrella stroller in my opinion. It is more of a shelf with low sides and accessed from the side. I had a PBkids lunchbox, small child's backpack, an adult fleece jacket and two children's fleece jackets in the basket this morning and could have fit more.
-Very good to excellent canopy coverage. The canopy has an extendable flap and can be rotated forward as much as you want if you unsnap it from the back of the seat. I have fair skinned children and canopy coverage is very important to me. This offers what I was looking for.
-Peekaboo window in canopy. Or other method to see kid from the back. Small peekaboo from back of canopy.
-Must appeal to me style-wise, and preferably not be something you see every day. Because, see above, I'm a brat. Umm, yeah, me too...another reason I hated my BJCM. I've yet to see anyone in our "prestigious" area have this stroller. But I see lots of Bugs, Uppababy, BJ, BOB's.
-MUST have a tall seat, and a weight limit of 45 lbs. or above. 55 lbs, and my 3.5 year old fits with several inches to grow.
-Good leg support/foot rest. My 3.5 yr old likes it better without the bumper bar and his feet fit perfectly on the footrest. I leave the bumper bar on for my 14 month old and put the legrest up. It's not as big as one on a Mac, but the backs of his legs are fully supported and would be if he was laying down.

Pluses- nice to have but not required:
-full-featured carrycot available. I'm not sure I'd get it at this point, because I'm not sure how long Katie Sue has in the carrycot before outgrowing it, but I want the option there for future use if nothing else. This almost makes my make-or-break list but not quite, so I suppose we'll say this weighs heavily in the favor of a stroller. It has a BEAUTIFUL carrycot! I didn't get it, yet, but come baby #3, I'm going to try my best to convince DH I NEED it!
-bright colors. I like 'em. Fuchsia, red, lime, light blue, black and navy...need I say more?!
-reversible seat. I probably won't use it long/much but I like having the option on a mall stroller. Nope, doesn't have, but does have the carrycot and carseat adapter options.
-ability to try it out in Los Angeles area before buying is a huge plus- again not REQUIRED but would be very beneficial. You should be able to find it somewhere I would think! After all my research I bit the bullet and bought it sight unseen. And I'm very happy I did!
-wide range of accessories available. I like accessories. I may not use them but I want that choice. :p Carrycot option, carseat adapters, rain cover, parasol, winter muff in matching beautiful colors, summer seat liner, and a carrybag.
-adaptor/compatibility with Cybex Aton available- not necessary but would be nice for travel, etc. Please note: anything with an adaptor that accepts Maxi-Cosi also accepts the Aton. :) So far I think they only have adapters for Graco, Peg, and Inglesina, but I have read they are working on more!
-Compatibility with the Buggypod Smorph is a plus, either attachment size, since I already (will) have one, just nice to have that option. Compatibility list: According to that list, it is compatible with the Inglesina Zippy, so I would assume it would also work on the Avio.http://buggypod.com/docs/customer/Buggypod_compatibility_list.pdf
-ride on board compatibility- I haven't gone for this option yet, but I may at some point, again, leaving the possibility open appeals to me. But this ranks pretty low on my list of wants. I have the Valco buggboard, but haven't tried it yet. I can if you would like.

I don't care about:
-weight, as long as the push and fold are good
-cost- I'm happy to find a deal on a new or used one of course, and the thrill of the bargain-hunt is definitely appealing to me, but I'm willing to consider anything, no cost barred. Including importing from overseas, as long as you can find a store that speaks English and ships here. I too love the "hunt" and was able to get my Avio in navy brand new, open box for $200 as opposed to the $500 it regularly is!
-what kind of tires/wheels it has, as long as they're sturdy.

If you read all of that, I'm impressed. :p Let the suggesting of strollers and me shooting them down begin! :p ;) (No really, I'd love to consider ones I haven't looked at much, and hear about your experiences with them. Don't take it personally if I don't like them. I'm a brat.)

Things I am getting used to are the "flexible" handlebar since it has to have joints in order to fold umbrella style and the actual fold. I've seen videos of people folding it much easier than I did at first. It's just different and has taken me a little practice. I'm sure there are others that have never had a problem with it though. If I didn't have the Valco Trimode already, I think I would have went with the Zee.

Have fun! I love stroller shopping! :love:

mom2kandm

Valco Quad looks nice... Not sure if they're still making it but I can deal with that...

Valco quad has been discontinued but you can find it from time to time new for around 199. I bought mine off shnoop awhile back, but sold it. IT has a really great push. The fold is similar to the Bob (folds forward, versus outwards like the b-agile/city mini). A tad heavy and takes a bit of truck space, but I think most of those types of strollers are. I would not say that this is a mall stroller, but all terrain.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I consider smaller ”all terrain” well within my wants for a ”mall stroller.” ;) My needs are rather unique because of the terrain where I live.

jordansmom

Yeah I need to find a store that carries it and go play!

The only somewhat consistent negative review I keep seeing is about the wheels locking. Those reviews seem to be when the stroller first came out so hopefully that is something that has since been fixed!

Here's the link to stores in your area:
http://www.mamasandpapas.com/en-US/store-locator

L.A., right? Should be at Kids Land, Nomi Boutique, and Broome St. General Store. I'm pretty sure my local BRU keeps the entire Mamas and Papas line in stock, too.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Many of the stores that say they have it on the Mamas & Papas website don't actually. I found a BRU that has it- 40 minutes away. But, we called around the more local stores listed and there's one 20 minutes or so away that has it so we're gonna go try it out. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I just tried the Urbo and it's not 100% perfect, but it's darned close.

Things I loved:
Recline
Handle
Push, even with a 48 lb. 4 year old in it (rated to 50)
Design, and that it's unusual
Fold (fantastic!)
Canopy (even more fantastic!)
Available colors, some of which are to my liking
Compatible with Buggypod
Bassinet available (though not in all colors :( )
Maxi-Cosi adaptor available
Reversible seat
Bumper bar is swing away and removable
SUPER nice padded seat, looks really comfy

Things that were average/ok:
Basket-it's ok in size, it can be accessed, with a little difficulty, when seat is fully reclined
Strap adjustment was the same as normal
Buckling was ok, puzzle buckle; unbuckling fairly easy
Decent number of harness slots

Things I disliked:
While the seat was decently tall, the canopy was right at the top of the seat. This effectively shortened the seating area so much that Maggie couldn't use it with the canopy up (though her shoulders were under the top slots.) I have pictures, I'll post when I can.
No storage other than the basket.

All in all, it's a great stroller and still at the top of my list right now (but I'd like to try a few more out.) I mean, yeah, Maggie's almost too tall, but, she's also almost 5. And if necessary she COULD use it, with canopy down. The storage thing is a drawback but I could add stroller bags/organizer if desired, so not a huge issue.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Maggie in the Urbo:
005.JPG

Katie Sue in the Urbo, with Jeff trying to show where her shoulders actually are (she was trying to throw herself out because she wanted to be held :rolleyes: ):
007.JPG

Jillian

Anne I'm digging the cybex onyx and it has aton adapters. Pretty cheap too. Buy two strollers!

Eta it doesn't seem to have your cot compatibility, don't know about buggy board etc, storage basket looks sub par and doesn't look unique but it does come in purple potion.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm seriously considering the Callisto if I can get one cheap.

Also, I found purple and turquoise Urbo carrycots-overseas. How much will KPC hate me if I have one shipped from Australia, do you think? :whistle:

jordansmom

Anne I'm digging the cybex onyx and it has aton adapters. Pretty cheap too. Buy two strollers!

Eta it doesn't seem to have your cot compatibility, don't know about buggy board etc, storage basket looks sub par and doesn't look unique but it does come in purple potion.

The Onyx is really nice! It was high on my list, but I wasn't able to get a good deal on one, so I passed. As far as carrycots...the Onyx isn't compatible, but the Callisto is!

Albeebaby has some decent sale prices on Cybex strollers right now!
http://search.albeebaby.com/mod_search/?vwcatalog=albee-baby&query=cybex&x=0&y=0&page=1

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I can't buy quite yet but I'm thinking I'll try to score a used Callisto, and as for this:
Also, I found purple and turquoise Urbo carrycots-overseas. How much will KPC hate me if I have one shipped from Australia, do you think? :whistle:

I asked him. I told him I'd go for turquoise over raspberry, which he liked better, if I could buy a pretty colored carrycot (which probably won't even get used this time around) from Australia. He said I don't have to bargain and I should get the color I want. Even if it's purple and pink and costs twice as much as the carrycots here. Even if he pushes it and we have a boy next. Gosh I love him. :love:

This is assuming I don't find something I like better, of course.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC